Saddle Bag and Givi Locks Interchangable?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I change the topcase between the '04 & the 12, since i only have one black topcase. So I can swap the keys out, I have the topcase key and a helmet lock key on a split ring, and move the to the split ring I have for each ignition key. As for carry a second key, I have both sets in my backpack, so I don't get stuck like I did on the '04 a few years back when the key disappeared. It cost me a bundle to have a key made from scratch! :eek:4:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Blrfl said:
So one more thing in your pocket.
+1 I just have the ignition key with a leather tag for use with the ignition. There's a separate keyring for related stuff. The plus is that I have an additional ignition key along with the backup ignition key I always carry (even when not riding).

I do have some Ilco key blanks and GW radio knobs for the short key mod that I need to get 'round to.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I'm curious if the actual locks on the Honda saddle bags and a Givi top box are interchangeable? Replacement Givi locks are available pretty cheap. You can even get them in sets of 3 or 6 off Ebay and they all have matching keys. If one of these locks could be used in the saddlebags then I could use 1 key for all luggage and 1 for ignition.

Yes I realize I'd still need to carry 2 keys, but at least I wouldn't have to pull the key out of the ignition to get something out of a saddle bag.
If you want a set of three that match I have some new never used.
Thought I was going to use them then never did.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If you are willing to add an extra key to not have to pull the ignition key, then have another ignition key cut and carry it. Blanks are CHEAP and cutting one is also. Has to be cheaper than buying new lock sets and trying to fit them. I am one that has the keys with the knobs in each of the locks, yes, 3 of them. The only time I ever remove them is if I might be in a very questionable neighborhood. 10+ years of I guess good luck that no one has tampered with my stuff. You have to look hard to tell they are even in the locks.
I'm curious to see what these look like. Do you have a photo of them?
Edit: no need. Midlife posted a link to a discussion with pics.
Thanks @midlife!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The difference on the ST1100s is you can't tell if the locks are locked or unlocked - unless you are familiar with the ST1100 or try to open the latch. ;-)
A feature I like too. I only lock my cases when I’m traveling and leave something in them. In that case the ignition key comes with me anyway. I have a lanyard with the STOC medallion on one end and a snap clip on the other. My ignition and other keys (top case, disc lock, multiple cable locks) all have a little split ring on them. When they’re not in use they’re clipped to the lanyard and put in my Roadcrafter pocket with the STOC medallion hanging out (makes getting to a key easy if I’ve already suited up). Tried and true method-to-his-madness for over twenty years. FWIW

I do have a spare ignition key hidden on the ST and another in my Roadcrafter sleeve pocket.

John

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I lost my Givi top box key and house keys a few years back. That left me with the one (spare) Givi key. One is s lonely number. Seeing that the lockset and keys from Givi are reasonably priced I thought it might be nice to buy 3 new locksets and replace the saddlebag locks and have 1 key for saddlebags and top box. Figured that this would work as I understood that Givi made the saddlebags for Honda. I could not get the Givi locksets to fit properly in the saddlebags... well, the one I attempted it on. Long and short of it is, I now have 2 spare locksets for the top box and 5 spare keys besides the one I always carry. I got paranoid and got a couple of extra ignition keys cut and low and behold, I broke one key off before I had it inserted all the way (thank applicable deity). I have my main keys, my spare keys and my spare spares.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The difference on the ST1100s is you can't tell if the locks are locked or unlocked - unless you are familiar with the ST1100 or try to open the latch. ;-)
Nope, not going there! I can't tell you how many times I've taken off for my daily commute and forgot to lock the topcase. (On the ST1300, you can close it and leave the latch over the locking area, (without locking it.) Once, I had it pop open and luckily I had someone behind me to tell me it was open.

There again, if my saddlebags didn't have to be locked, I would forget to lock them before leaving and it would be my luck to have them pop open without knowing it.

So, I like how the saddlebags and topcase are for the ST1300! :D

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
In 190K miles, including a trip to the Arctic Circle, with latched but unlocked ST1100 panniers and Hondaline topcases, I’ve never had one unlatch, nor have I ever heard of one. FWIW

John

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
In 190K miles, including a trip to the Arctic Circle, with latched but unlocked ST1100 panniers and Hondaline topcases, I’ve never had one unlatch, nor have I ever heard of one. FWIW

John
And I'll add over 300,000+ miles on my ST1100s. my experience has been the same as John's! :D

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I never leave my panniers unlocked unless I'm loading/unloading something from them. Likewise, I never leave my Givi unlocked either, but leave the key in the lock when the bike is secured in my garage or when I'm riding it, as shown in the attached photo. The three attached photos show my solution to the "problem" that I've never thought of as such, since it's one of those things that can easily have a practical and workable solution if given a little thought. By the way, it occurred to me sometime ago to lock the ignition key in the trunk and only have to remove and carry that key in my pocket when I park the bike and leave it unattended when stopping for breakfast or lunch or whatever. Using the key from the ignition to get to the spare key when needed is no problem, and the key can be returned to the locking compartment without a second key to lock it, since a key is only required to open the compartment, not to close and lock it. I started carrying a spare ignition key in my wallet long before I even thought of this. I didn't include a photo of my wallet just in case someone reading this post might recognize it.

Attachments

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
By the way, there is no danger of the Givi key falling out on its own if left oriented as shown, since it can only be removed when oriented vertically.

Top Bottom