ST1100 Transmission

Hey all, So as I stated in my introduction post I picked up a 1998 ST1100 over the summer with a bad 2nd gear. I have another transmission that the PO gave me with the purchase of the bike. How much of a PITA is it to change it out? It's a pretty clean bike. It needs some rubber. I plan on picking up a Coats 220 tire changer this weekend to add to the arsenal of tools. You can never have enough tools.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The gearbox on the 1100 is bolted to the rear of the engine, just right of the alternator. It's where your shift linkage ends up.

I was thinking the engine and trans are in the same housing. You have one you have the other. (dont you?):confused:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I was thinking the engine and trans are in the same housing. You have one you have the other. (dont you?):confused:
It's a cassette type of transmission, in theory it slides in and out of the engine, getting to it on the other hand to change it might be the issue

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Though I have never swapped a transmission on an ST1100, I bet it requires removing the engine. Doubt there is enough room to do it while in the frame. It's tight enough getting the alternator swapped.

Have you looked at st-riders.net to see if there is a write-up? Lots of good info on ST1100 (and 1300) there.

I know a section of the frame is removable for pulling the engine. Likely have to remove all lower body work, exhaust, radiator, carbs, drive shaft, shift linkage, clutch slave and electrical connections to pull it.

You would want to replace carb boots, coolant lines/elbows and exhaust gaskets while doing this.

Where in N Central Ohio are you? I'm in Chillicothe.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Yup cassette style transmission, should slide out the back more or less in one assembly. As mentioned above, you'll no doubt have to pull the engine from the frame. I can't ever recall anyone repairing or replacing an ST1100, or 1300 for that matter, transmission.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I looked in the "Archives of Wisdom" on the other site, I didn't find anything on changing out transmissions. When I get home in a couple of weeks I will look in my shop manual to see what words of Wisdom are in there. ;)

OP
OP
Thanks, I will check it out too. Right now I'm laid up in the hospital after receiving my 3rd stent. Heart disease sucks....I am located in Galion. Thanks for the replies.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
i hope things go well. Just remember a few years ago when there were no stents. Everybody got to be a member of the "zipper" club. As a stent recipient myself, I feel fortunate to be living in this time.

Top Bottom