Hello friends

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
It's been a long time!

I'm looking for advice. I've had a 2005 ST1300 (my first bike!), 2 Goldwings, a 2010 Concours, and a Super Tenere, and a 650 Wee-Strom.

Sadly, due to familial needs I've been bikeless for the last year-- the needs of my family come before my own.

I am considering another bike after the first of the year and I've realized that I prefer the sport tourer over the others.

I commute, tend to do a longer ride within the state several times a year (not summer!), and try to take a trip up to NC once a year.

Heat is a concern (florida), I tend to wear out rear tires quickly (florida roads, no curves), rarely have a passenger (sadly-- my daughter and former riding partner is all grown up and driving now!).

So, I'm looking for an older bike-- less than 25000 miles and probly around $8000 absolutely max.

I recall having comfort issues with the ST but would consider another. Should I?
The Concours was a great bike but I'm concerned about KIPASS issues and early valve checks (I've never done valve work but I do tend to do the majority of my own work). Would want 2010 or newer.
I don't want another Goldwing yet--- want to see how the new one works out for a few years first.
FJR? Pro's/Cons?

Thanks for still being here guys!

Bike
VStrom 650
Why spend so much?
Buy a good low mileage ST1100, fit the MRA screen where you can completely remove the top half for Florida, and if you liked your
13 you'll love the 11.
Upt'North.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Darned impressed that your first motorcycle ever was an ST1300.

When I was looking I/we rode BMW RT1200, GS/A1200, ST1300, Kawi Concours, Tiger Explorer, FJR1300. I wanted to ride a Super Tenere but couldn't find one to ride.
We liked both the BMWs but shied away because of maintenance concerns.
The Concours was just too big and unwieldy.
The Explorer was far too top heavy.
The FJR was too sporty and the engine felt buzzy to me. It was also quite wide through the seat and tank. Uncomfy for my lady.
The ST1300 was the perfect bike. I'm not a big person at 5'9" 168 lbs so it's form factor fit me great. There's more than enough grunt to get me in trouble and it will cruise all day.

So we found a mint 2005 locally and are super happy we chose it.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
If I were in your situation I would look for a 650 Versys, or 650 Weestrom or an NC 700 or an F800 BMW. If you ride solo and are barely getting out of 1 state you don't need the weight or power (which eats up gas, tires and insurance) of a liter plus bike. Those bikes will do everything you are asking of them. Then again maybe you just like em big?

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
Welcome to the forum from Alberta. :CanFlag1: If you are looking at 1300 don't limit by year as they are virtually the same across all years just choose by milage. As for tire wear have you ever considered going darkside? We have lots of long straight slab up here in Alberta and for me darkside was the way to go. Once you adapt to the feel, doing the twisties are just as easy. That link that Andrew posted looks good it has a Russel Day Long seat so that solves the comfort issue. Just my 2cents.

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
to answer some questions/ and some clarifications...
I had a friend who owned an '06 ST. As soon as I saw it, I was smitten. He was kind enough (and probably certifiably insane) to let me learn how to ride ON THAT BIKE. I had no idea even how to shift! I spent a few hours over a couple of weekends doing slow speed stuff in a parking lot. I am proud to say I never dropped it. I bought my 2005 ST immediately after completing my MSF course. After that beast, the MSF was a joke!!
I traded that bike for a goldwing thinking my wife would ride with me more (nope). Goldwings are great bikes but it just didn't "do" anything for me, and when I had a chance to get the Connie, I jumped at it-- all that speed, traction control, ABS and lighter weight? Hell yes!!!

i did run a michelin run-flat CT on my goldwing and was really impressed in the rain here in florida, on the highway, and also in the mountains in NC. I hadn't thought about a CT on a sport-tourer.

If you were hoping to spend around $5000, what would make you choose an ST (which hasn't really changed since '04 or so) versus a Connie or FJR? I worry about getting parts/accessories for the ST since it's now out of production.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I chose an ST partly because of the amazing support from this forum.
But mainly because of its reputation for trouble free riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I've come full circle.

Started on a 2005 ST, then a Goldwing, to a Concours, back to a Goldwing--with a 650 Wee, to a Yamaha Super Tenere and now, after a year with nothing I'll be picking up another ST...

I am so looking forward to getting back in the saddle again!

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Many thanks!

So, I've put a deposit on a 2006 with 22,000 miles. It's at a highly respected dealer about 350 miles away. I won't see it until pickup (other than the pics on cycletrader), and after talking to the owner of the dealership I feel really confident about the condition.

The only concern I have is there is no record of maintenance with the bike, so I have no idea what the previous owner(s) did maintenance-wise.
If the condition and # of included accessories can be a clue, I am hoping it was well taken care of...

What do you think?

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2006-Honda-ST1300-5000223460

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
If the condition and # of included accessories can be a clue, I am hoping it was well taken care of...

What do you think?
Condition looks good and it has a few sought after farkles so I would think it was well taken care of. Just make sure to change all the fluids and filters so you start with everything fresh.

Farkles look to be: Aftermarket exhaust (looks like Delkavic carbon fiber tri-oval). OEM top box which is unobtanium here in the US (have to buy from europe!). OEM heated grips and looks like a cigarette plug power port. Tip over bars in the back to protect your saddlebags if you drop it. Can't be sure, but it looks like it has Throttlemeister bar end throttle lock (some call "cruise control"). Fold out highway blades (pegs) in the front tip over "wings". Sargent seat. Looks like it has the "switchback" LED running lights/turn signals (which is a slick mod that I and many others have done). And, lastly, V-Stream windshield.

Everything points to a bike that has been well taken care of!

Nice find! :)

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
from that list of acc it sounds like someone's from this forum

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
from that list of acc it sounds like someone's from this forum
you know, that's exactly what I thought too! The dealer says it was bought at auction so he has no maintenance history. Maybe someone here would recognise it?

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Condition looks good and it has a few sought after farkles so I would think it was well taken care of. Just make sure to change all the fluids and filters so you start with everything fresh.

Farkles look to be: Aftermarket exhaust (looks like Delkavic carbon fiber tri-oval). OEM top box which is unobtanium here in the US (have to buy from europe!). OEM heated grips and looks like a cigarette plug power port. Tip over bars in the back to protect your saddlebags if you drop it. Can't be sure, but it looks like it has Throttlemeister bar end throttle lock (some call "cruise control"). Fold out highway blades (pegs) in the front tip over "wings". Sargent seat. Looks like it has the "switchback" LED running lights/turn signals (which is a slick mod that I and many others have done). And, lastly, V-Stream windshield.

Everything points to a bike that has been well taken care of!

Nice find! :)
I will need to do a search regarding the lighting mods you speak of-- I just thought they were smoked turn signal lenses. I also picked out a fork brace, and the tires look to be PR3's or 4's?

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
At this point the anticipation is killing me! I’ll be renting a uhaul trailer to pick up the bike up in Tallahassee this weekend. I find myself pouring thru the tech forum looking at potential trouble spots. Would love to know if the P.O. was a member here— he sure spent a lot on accessories!!!!

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Picked up the bike yesterday. It was 45 degF and raining. Bike is loaded with LED's front and rear incl headlamps. Grip heaters actually work! I was a bit surprised to find it had two different tires-- a michelin on the front and a dunlop on the back-- I've always changed both so that was strange. Bike needs a serious cleaning-- looking forward to opening things up, not sure what the innards look like yet.

Dealer didn't know much about the ST so I enjoyed educating their mechanic on it's quirks!
Will need clutch bleed for sure-- color is dark.

Feels so good to be riding again......

I also found that the PO had the bike registered in Bluffton, SC. Any of our current SC boys familiar with this bike by chance????

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
well, I found out what the innards look like... not because I wanted to ON MY VERY FIRST DAY OF OWNERSHIP!!!! lol....

Found out the rear brake pedal was soft on the first push. It would firm up on the second but 5 minutes later soft....
I also tested my SMC-- I had read it should only move a bit before clamping the rear rotor, but this one moved a half inch or more and
my son could still rotate the rear tire even when I pushed the SMC all the way.

Did a complete flush of the brake system--thanks to the info I followed in the tech forum.

Now to figure out how to put the plastics back on without breaking anything!

Speaking of which, I also found a crack in the right side middle cowl-- I'm thinking an ABS plastic cement patch on the inside?

Top Bottom