Battery replacement

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I had to put my ST on the tender for an hour on Thursday before it would start and it wouldn't start today. I did run it for 15 or 20 minutes to get the charge back up on Thursday. Looks like it's time for a new battery. Is it worth paying $125 on partzilla for a direct factory replacement, or is there a better alternative. I have no idea how old my battery it us, but it came with the bike when I got it last May.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I've had good luck with AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries in the past. I can't remember the brand but I bought it at my local battery shop.
I see no reason to spring for an OEM battery since battery technology has improved since 2004.

Have a read here

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Battery threads are almost like oil threads these days. I use Japanese made Yuasa batteries made in Japan (orederd by part number from Honda rather than Chinese made Yuasas ordered aftermarket ) keep them on battery tender jrs, and get 5-6 years on them. Some after market batteries have better warranties though 2 yrs vs 1 yr. YMMV. My brother buys batteries for his bikes from Walmart or Meijer. Haven't had to push start him yet.

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Battery threads are almost like oil threads these days. I use Japanese made Yuasa batteries made in Japan (orederd by part number from Honda rather than Chinese made Yuasas ordered aftermarket ) keep them on battery tender jrs, and get 5-6 years on them. Some after market batteries have better warranties though 2 yrs vs 1 yr. YMMV. My brother buys batteries for his bikes from Walmart or Meijer. Haven't had to push start him yet.
The battery tender part kills me. I live in a townhouse so I can't leave it on the charge the whole time I'm not using my ST. I can take it to my mom's house, but if my ST is not at my house, I am less likely to ride it.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Others may differ however I only put mine on a tender if it's going to sit idle for more than a few weeks. A lead acid battery will lose about 10% of it's charge per month unattended. If you are riding every day I don't see a reason to put it on a tender. If it is stored for the winter then yes put it on a tender.
For what it's worth I put a new battery in my '06 Tiger in July 2012 and it still cranks over hard. If I parked it for more than a month it was on a tender. I rode it pretty much every day. I have every reason to believe it will give me another couple of years. The bike is for sale though so I'll never find out.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been extremely happy with my Motobatt AGM batteries in my ST1100s. They will be 5 years old in February and still crank the bikes strong. But I do ride pretty much day and they have never seen a 'battery tender'.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've always bought batteries for my car and bikes from a local battery company (we have had 2 cars and a truck plus bikes for more than 25 years) and have consistently seen lifespans of 4 to 6 years. Most have been flooded lead acid, though in recent years I've gone w/ AGM. This company guarantees their own batteries (though in recent years they have been selling known brands) and has been significantly cheaper than auto parts stores. (We paid $125 for a battery for our Highlander at a NAPA store in a small town and the same battery would have gone for $75 to 85 at this place. But, when the battery died, it died and we were 100 miles from home.)

I stumbled on this place years and years ago when I was monetarily challenged and aghast at what car batteries cost. Perhaps you can find a similar place nearby.

I really believe that you get what you pay for and I cannot fault someone for buying a cheap wiget. Is it worth paying big bucks for an OEM battery? I think there are enough similar if not identical options that cost less so for me, the answer is a resounding NO. Other parts are different, but batteries, tires, oil, and a few other things can be sourced from many places and often perform better than the OEM item.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the Ferret said:
I use Japanese made Yuasa batteries made in Japan (orederd by part number from Honda rather than Chinese made Yuasas ordered aftermarket ) keep them on battery tender jrs, and get 5-6 years on them.
This is the problem with the Yuasa batteries. Apparently the Yuasas that came in our STs when new are far more studly than the same off-the-shelf retail Yuasa. Many here have mentioned the marked difference in battery life. It's been mention here several times. I didn't know there was a part number the could be used to order the same battery as came in our STs.

Could you share that number? That said there have been alternatives to the AGM batteries in our ST. I'm tempted to try a LI-FePOS battery when mine goes. But I hadn't ridden my bike in a while so I put it on a 5A Battery Tender to make sure it would start. In <5min the light turned steady green and the bike fired right up just as you'd expect. So for a 2010 battery it's holding it's own. (Hope I just didn't jinx it!)

Bike
2006 ST1300
One good strategy I've found for keeping a battery fresh without killing it is a Battery Minder ( like a Tender, but more reasonable, and in my experience, more durable) on a timer. I let it charge two times a day for an hour, when not riding as much. My Scorpion battery is almost 7 years old ( knocking wood here), and still charges in a few minutes to full on the Minder. I think it was 62$, but I see now Scorpion batteries are made in China, no longer in Vietnam. Not sure if it makes a difference.
I do have a Chrome battery in my scooter which has given good service, and they make a battery for the ST. VERY reasonable, might try one of those next.

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
This is the problem with the Yuasa batteries. Apparently the Yuasas that came in our STs when new are far more studly than the same off-the-shelf retail Yuasa. Many here have mentioned the marked difference in battery life. It's been mention here several times. I didn't know there was a part number the could be used to order the same battery as came in our STs.

Could you share that number? That said there have been alternatives to the AGM batteries in our ST. I'm tempted to try a LI-FePOS battery when mine goes. But I hadn't ridden my bike in a while so I put it on a 5A Battery Tender to make sure it would start. In <5min the light turned steady green and the bike fired right up just as you'd expect. So for a 2010 battery it's holding it's own. (Hope I just didn't jinx it!)
Here is the part number and diagram from partzilla.com

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
My Chinese made, $75, “PowerSonic†battery is still going strong at 10 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
I am a fan of the AGM type battery. 1st battery in the 2010 ST lasted 5 years. 2nd Yuasa AGM still in use.
I still have an 8 year old AGM for my Goldwing that was used for 6 years and on the shelf for the last 2 years that I am trying to bring back to life with a Battery Minder Maintenance Charger with a full time desulfator. ($100.00)
I just used this on my ST.
The technology works provided the battery isn't too far gone. Time will tell.

Attachments

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I am a fan of the AGM type battery. 1st battery in the 2010 ST lasted 5 years. 2nd Yuasa AGM still in use.
I still have an 8 year old AGM for my Goldwing that was used for 6 years and on the shelf for the last 2 years that I am trying to bring back to life with a Battery Minder Maintenance Charger with a full time desulfator. ($100.00)
I just used this on my ST.
The technology works provided the battery isn't too far gone. Time will tell.
I had it on a tender for 2 months straight last winter. .it looks like the $75 scorpion atm battery might high on my list right now. I could always get a replacement from Wal-Mart for $33. . Lol

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm guessing your speaking from personal experience? Thanks, just added it to my eBay watch list!

The terminals seem lower than all of the other batteries I've seen for the ST.
I have had one for over 7 years and very rarely on a tender, still works like a charm for very little money. :)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm guessing your speaking from personal experience? Thanks, just added it to my eBay watch list!

The terminals seem lower than all of the other batteries I've seen for the ST.
Those are the ones I use - only the ST1100 'version'. What's nice is you can get an extra set of terminals with them to hook up all your 'extra' electrical stuff so the main power cables are the only thing on the other terminals. They tend to be a little 'shorter' but it was no problem on the ST1100. IIRC, they include a spacer if you want to use it.

Bike
GL1800 2015
BatterySharks has a battery for $26.98. It's hard to imagine that it's as good as a $100 battery, but I'm going to find out since I put one in my bike this past spring. Even if it only lasts a couple of years, it's still a bargain.

Here's a link https://www.batterysharks.com/Honda-1300CC-ST1300-A-P-2003-2005-p/st1300ap_m12-11.2-230-k.htm
+1...This lasted me 2 full seasons! Bike wont start now...but prolly will when I jump start to run for winter storage....never put on charger or trickle....if I need a new one next spring...this is what I'm using! not bad for 2 yrs with 0 maintenance!

Top Bottom