Battery replacement

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ddemair said:
BatterySharks has a battery for $26.98. It's hard to imagine that it's as good as a $100 battery
This ^. We all like to save a buck where we can if it makes sense. Sometimes it doesn't. Brand recognition accounts for some increased cost. For the money shortcuts were likely taken. The cheap price can all be in labor.

My questions are— what about it makes it so cheap and how likely is it do die from other causes than depleted capacity?

Any battery can fail without warning. But I think the chances are good that a better made battery might give some/more warning of impending doom than a cheaper made battery.

Of all the things that can leave you stranded somewhere an actual dead* battery seems to be one of the easiest to prevent.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not trying to be a smart alec, but I've had two 1 year old Yuasas (just out of warranty and the proper number for a ST1100) die on me with no warning whatsoever - one at the house and one on the road. I believe in both cases it was from plates shorting out but I did not tear them apart to see. That's why I went looking for another brand. So far, my $83 motobatts (what I paid for them at the time) are still going strong after almost 5 years. So I can't complain about them if they died tomorrow. But I do have what I believe is the advantage of being able to ride pretty much all year which I really think helps battery life more than we realize.

Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
Typically I find that the AMP HR rating and the cold cranking amps are higher on the higher dollar batteries. I see AH rating from 10 to 18 amp hours through the price range and 160CCA to 220CCA
This would suggest IMO you get what you pay for.
Either way you still need to attend to your battery to get the most out of it.
In a lot of cases the battery is probably high on the list for being most neglected maintenance item. You normally don't worry about it until storage season or when you end up having an issue.

st1300doug

Almost 90% of the listed YTZ14S batteries show 220 CC/Cold Crank. I want that 250 CC or higher. And a 8.8lb. to 9.1lb. lead/acid battery has larger-better lead plates than a lighter weight battery. The Lithium Ions....they hate cold and accessories. Hey, a $34-$55 dollar battery that gives me 4 or more years service life....I'm good!
What happened to the dude on here...that was selling NEWYuasa's out of the Generators for $70? THAT was a deal!

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Not trying to be a smart alec, but I've had two 1 year old Yuasas (just out of warranty and the proper number for a ST1100) die on me with no warning whatsoever - one at the house and one on the road. I believe in both cases it was from plates shorting out but I did not tear them apart to see..
Are you talking the number on the outside of the battery or the actual Honda 10 digit part number? Not doubting your experience at all, but I believe there is enough anecdotal evidence out there that Japanese Yuasas are as good as they come, while Vietnamese and Chinese Yuasas not so much. I worked in the MC industry for 17 years and there are things I have come to trust..Japanese Yuasas, NGK spark plugs, oem oil filters, Michelin tires, Seafoam gas stabilizer and battery tender jrs among them. I agree with you about riding every day if possible, and I try to do that as well.

Like I said my brother buys his batteries at Meijer and Walmart and I've never had to bump start him on the road either and he pays about $75 bucks for his batteries. I just can't bring myself to buy batteries there though. I did buy one for my riding mower from Batteries Plus that lasted 4 years in it lol.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Genuine Yuasas with the part number that is called for the ST1100. Don't know about the Honda part number as I don't buy much from a dealer. I think the replacement Yuasas are the problem not the OEMs that came in the bikes. I got good life out of them so I went back with the same brand and the same number until I had multiple failures. I figure they are all pretty much made in China these days so it just depends on how good a quality control team the 'manufacturer' has in China overseeing things and much they are willing to pay for the product. :D

st1300doug

This Moto Battery has a fantastic 2 1/2 year warranty. 260 Cold Crank power. Is the exact size replacement also for the OEM Yuasa. Only: $84 from Amazon Highly rated. 4.6 out of 5 Ordering one....will let you know.

Attachments

Bike
92 ST1100
FWIW, I've opted using Interstate wet cell batteries in my vehicles and motorcycles for a couple decades now. Have no battery tender, and ST will set in garage for 3mo. out of the year. With that, bike starts and charges correctly always, if needed. Using Interstate batteries gets some 8-10yrs. of use before sulfation occurs, in my vehicles and bikes. BTW, never have had to recharge any of them, ever;). So, with that, IMO a quality made battery is definitely worth the extra initial expense:).

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
FWIW, I've opted using Interstate wet cell batteries in my vehicles and motorcycles for a couple decades now. Have no battery tender, and ST will set in garage for 3mo. out of the year. With that, bike starts and charges correctly always, if needed. Using Interstate batteries gets some 8-10yrs. of use before sulfation occurs, in my vehicles and bikes. BTW, never have had to recharge any of them, ever;). So, with that, IMO a quality made battery is definitely worth the extra initial expense:).
For $205 to $240 I hope it would last that long. . . That is what the local Interstate Battery charges for the ones that fit the ST.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Uncle Phil was browsing the forum so can came in and said-

Some jokers get all the ridin in.
When I retire in the year 2034 I hope to be able to ride every day. . Unfortunately work gets in the way of that for now. . .lol

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
But I ride mine to work ... ;-)
Oh, that's boring:( I only ride my ST to work when my company car is down. .I can fortunately save my brake and tire wear for fun miles;) This is my company car after working a Beat area that is still somewhat rural. .

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oh, that's boring:( I only ride my ST to work when my company car is down. .I can fortunately save my brake and tire wear for fun miles;) This is my company car after working a Beat area that is still somewhat rural. .

'Boring' riding is still better that 'lively' driving ... :D

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
'Boring' riding is still better that 'lively' driving ... :D
Uncle Phil - you say that only because you haven't driven one of these! :)
During my time as an Auxiliary Police Officer I did . . . and the only thing better than these was driving the Dodge Charger police car. Now that was a blast!!!! :22yikes:

Top Bottom