Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starter valve synce virgin no more!

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Starter valve sync virgin no more!

Did my first starter valve sync on STella today. Everything went super smooth and future syncs will be even easier thanks to awesome Carbtune setup and MAP sensor vacuum hose hints from Larry/Igofar.

So the $64,000 question: did it make a difference?

Oh yes it did. The idle is smoother and steadier. And for those of you who read my thread "Starting from a standing stop" you'll be pleased to know that the bucket of bolts sound has disappeared. I can pull away anywhere above idle without any odd sounds, it's all smooth and Jetson-like.

On-off throttle transitions are smoother as are shifts from first to second oddly enough. There used to be a noticeable roughness around 4500-5000 rpm that actually stopped me from taking it that high. That roughness is gone. While I've read that the starter valves are only in play at idle my experience says that if they are out of sync it will affect the entire rpm range.

I just did a quick highway blast for 30 mins of so and definitely saw an improvement on the instantaneous mileage reading. I know it's not accurate but it does give reading that can be related. At 100 kmh, steady throttle of flat ground I saw a high of 29.5 km/litre. Previously I'd not seen a reading that high unless I was coasting downhill.

Here’s a before shot:

And after:

(I got the number 4 cylinder even closer with more finessing)

So definitely a marked improvement. And really easy to do. Best two hours I've spent on the bike this far. Aside from riding of course!
    Last edited by DavidR8; 11-12-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    David
    STOC 8968
    2005 w/ factory topbox

2. The Following 7 Users Like This Post:

Re: Starter valve synce virgin no more!

Told ya..
    And yet folks still don't believe it does anything.

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Bike
    2007 ST1300A
    My Gallery

Those look like the old mercury sticks so you can balance the carbs. Is that what you are talking about?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by STGUY View Post
    Those look like the old mercury sticks so you can balance the carbs. Is that what you are talking about?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Yup except they are stainless steel rods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    09 ST1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    I just did a quick highway blast for 30 mins of so and definitely saw an improvement on the instantaneous mileage reading.
    You guys are lucky on the island - It's like full on winter over her in the interior now so no riding for us....
    Glad you had success with the sync, and I really like that Carbtune you got - I've got the new version motion pro to replace my old broken mercury one - I don't like it as much and prefer the old deadly poison mercury one lol.
    Geoff Forster, Vernon BC Canada

Bike
    07 ST1300
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Ya know. If you hook all the carbtune hoses to one vacuum sourse you will see they do not all go to the same level. You should be able to calibrate the thing but i dont think you can. Can you?

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by gsforster View Post
    You guys are lucky on the island - It's like full on winter over her in the interior now so no riding for us....
    Glad you had success with the sync, and I really like that Carbtune you got - I've got the new version motion pro to replace my old broken mercury one - I don't like it as much and prefer the old deadly poison mercury one lol.
    We are lucky for sure. It rained overnight and grey here this morning Geoff but definitely ride-able weather. I'm gong to finish my tea and go find some breakfast a la two wheels!
    I was pretty impressed with the Carbtune. I've never used such a tool before but I'm really glad I bought it.
    Igofar gave me a major time and aggravation saving tip: go to a hobby shop and buy some brass tubing that fits into the vacuum hose. Cut four short lengths, maybe an 3/4 inch long and put one into the end of each of the sync tool hoses.

This lets you pull the hoses from the 5-way T and plug them into the sync tool instead of having to try put the tool hoses onto the vacuum ports on the throttle bodies.

So much easier!
    Last edited by DavidR8; 11-12-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by JimGregory View Post
    Ya know. If you hook all the carbtune hoses to one vacuum source you will see they do not all go to the same level. You should be able to calibrate the thing but I dont think you can. Can you?
    No you can't calibrate them. I have no reason to think they aren't well calibrated. Have you connected all hoses to one source and seen different levels on each column?

Quote Originally Posted by gsforster View Post
    Motion Pro really dropped the ball with their "New and improved" carb sticks (made in China).
    The Morgan works better than any of the liquid or mercury filled tools, and you can store them laying flat in your tool box without fear of dangerous mercury leaking out!
    The only thing you need to watch for with the Morgan tubes, is to make sure the unit is perfectly level so the outside tube does not bind.
    I sit them on the center of the handlebars, and run a tarp bungie (loop & ball) from the unit, down the front of the fairing, and under the shield, to hold it in place. By moving the shield up or down, you can increase tension etc.
    Maybe DavidR8 will post a picture of my set up?
    Igofar

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Starter valve synce virgin no more!

Here’s Larry’s setup.
    (I’m secretly chuffed that my readings match the ones in Larry’s photos!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DavidR8; 11-12-2017 at 03:42 PM.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast