Starter valve synce virgin no more!

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Being the cheap-skate that I am ( I'm retired and on a fixed-income ) , I bought 4 gauges from McMaster-Carr and then matched them almost perfectly by adjusting the spring inside the gauges ( had to remove the case to gain access to the spring). I was amazed how close they are all matched now. They don't need to be accurate, only closely matched to do a "starter valve" sync on a ST1300 or "carb sync" on a ST1100. Added some restrictors to keep the gauge needles steady/dampened.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Being the cheap-skate that I am ( I'm retired and on a fixed-income ) , I bought 4 gauges from McMaster-Carr and then matched them almost perfectly by adjusting the spring inside the gauges ( had to remove the case to gain access to the spring). I was amazed how close they are all matched now. They don't need to be accurate, only closely matched to do a "starter valve" sync on a ST1300 or "carb sync" on a ST1100. Added some restrictors to keep the gauge needles steady/dampened.
I'm going to try and build a tool also. Can you take a pic of your set up with the restrictors and where did you get them? Did you just pop off the rear cover of the vac gauge to adjust springs?

thanks

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm disappointed in you Jim, I would have expected you to have mined your own Mercury and blown your own glass tubes from sand. Or at least found some old home thermostats to get the mercury out of the tip-switches.

Re: Starter valve sync virgin no more!

I started a project for syncing carbs. It's in the working prototype stage. Right now I'm waiting for some components to arrive so I can build an even simpler version for electronics noobs.
Search for "CarbOnBal", it's on hackaday and the software is on GitHub.
If you like electronic projects this should help. It can be built for €50 if you know where to look so it's not expensive as these things go.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Well I finally got to doing the TB sync. Here are the photos of the before I moved the setting to align the cylinders. Now I did believe that it would make it smoother etc from what I had read, but after doing the sync and seeing/feeling the difference, so far wow!. I am not sure if this is psychological or what, but to be it easier to start, runs very smooth even though I thought it was good before, and throttle response seems crisper. I will try it again tomorrow after a sleep. I do have one question tho...after I finished it off and put it all back together, the FI light is off. I read where we are to jump some wires for the FI reset after 5 flashes? Can some one explain please?

IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I'm disappointed in you Jim, I would have expected you to have mined your own Mercury and blown your own glass tubes from sand. Or at least found some old home thermostats to get the mercury out of the tip-switches.
Doug : I must humbly admit my skills are limited ...... but I did rebuild my water pump and it hasn't leaked in the last 10K miles.

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I'm going to try and build a tool also. Can you take a pic of your set up with the restrictors and where did you get them? Did you just pop off the rear cover of the vac gauge to adjust springs?

thanks
Yup, slip off the rear cover after removing two screws. These are 0-30 in Hg / 0-100KPa gauges from McMaster-Carr. Stock # 4002K14.

I used a tee and then a syringe to pull a vacuum when matching the gauges. For the restrictors, I drilled a very small hole in a length of 1/4 " wooden dowel and then inserted it into the larger diameter tubing. I was hoping the 1/8 " tubing would create enough damping, but no cigar, so I added the larger diameter 1/4" tubing and restrictors. This is basically a prototype. You can improve on it, I'm sure.

Carb Balancer.jpg

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Yup, slip off the rear cover after removing two screws. These are 0-30 in Hg / 0-100KPa gauges from McMaster-Carr. Stock # 4002K14.

I used a tee and then a syringe to pull a vacuum when matching the gauges. For the restrictors, I drilled a very small hole in a length of 1/4 " wooden dowel and then inserted it into the larger diameter tubing. I was hoping the 1/8 " tubing would create enough damping, but no cigar, so I added the larger diameter 1/4" tubing and restrictors. This is basically a prototype. You can improve on it, I'm sure.

Carb Balancer.jpg
Thanks for the picture.......looks good. I'll give it a try this winter once I get my gauges together and mounted , as my riding season is over now.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Well fired it up again post sync and fires up great, idles better and throttle response seems better, so a little more ice to melt of the driveway and a ride will be in order. All is well!

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Well fired it up again post sync and fires up great, idles better and throttle response seems better, so a little more ice to melt of the driveway and a ride will be in order. All is well!
Dude...fly down and do mine...!!!!!!

T

Bike
2005 st1300
Well I finally got to doing the TB sync. Here are the photos of the before I moved the setting to align the cylinders. Now I did believe that it would make it smoother etc from what I had read, but after doing the sync and seeing/feeling the difference, so far wow!. I am not sure if this is psychological or what, but to be it easier to start, runs very smooth even though I thought it was good before, and throttle response seems crisper. I will try it again tomorrow after a sleep. I do have one question tho...after I finished it off and put it all back together, the FI light is off. I read where we are to jump some wires for the FI reset after 5 flashes? Can some one explain please
Same thing happened with mine. The FI light wasnt on when I finished syncing.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Did the sync this past weekend. It was much easier than I thought. My only 2 issues were... 1) getting the old vacume lines off (I replaced them all with new) and 2) figuring out the adjustment screws. There really is no screw, I had to slightly"pull out" the black plastic toothed pieces, rotate them, and reseat them. But all went well. Before and after....

Attachments

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
BTW, I did not do any wire jumping/reset. After I removed the Carbtune and hooked up all the lines the FI light was no longer lit. Did I do something wrong by not doing the reset?

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
BTW, I did not do any wire jumping/reset. After I removed the Carbtune and hooked up all the lines the FI light was no longer lit. Did I do something wrong by not doing the reset?
No, mine did not need a reset either, and runs great with no FI light on since.

Top Bottom