Starter valve synce virgin no more!

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Starter valve sync virgin no more!

Did my first starter valve sync on STella today. Everything went super smooth and future syncs will be even easier thanks to awesome Carbtune setup and MAP sensor vacuum hose hints from Larry/Igofar.

So the $64,000 question: did it make a difference?

Oh yes it did. The idle is smoother and steadier. And for those of you who read my thread "Starting from a standing stop" you'll be pleased to know that the bucket of bolts sound has disappeared. I can pull away anywhere above idle without any odd sounds, it's all smooth and Jetson-like.

On-off throttle transitions are smoother as are shifts from first to second oddly enough. There used to be a noticeable roughness around 4500-5000 rpm that actually stopped me from taking it that high. That roughness is gone. While I've read that the starter valves are only in play at idle my experience says that if they are out of sync it will affect the entire rpm range.

I just did a quick highway blast for 30 mins of so and definitely saw an improvement on the instantaneous mileage reading. I know it's not accurate but it does give reading that can be related. At 100 kmh, steady throttle of flat ground I saw a high of 29.5 km/litre. Previously I'd not seen a reading that high unless I was coasting downhill.

Here's a before shot:

And after:

(I got the number 4 cylinder even closer with more finessing)

So definitely a marked improvement. And really easy to do. Best two hours I've spent on the bike this far. Aside from riding of course!

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Told ya..:rofl1:
And yet folks still don't believe it does anything.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Those look like the old mercury sticks so you can balance the carbs. Is that what you are talking about?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike
09 ST1300
I just did a quick highway blast for 30 mins of so and definitely saw an improvement on the instantaneous mileage reading.
You guys are lucky on the island - It's like full on winter over her in the interior now so no riding for us....
Glad you had success with the sync, and I really like that Carbtune you got - I've got the new version motion pro to replace my old broken mercury one - I don't like it as much and prefer the old deadly poison mercury one lol.

Bike
07 ST1300
Ya know. If you hook all the carbtune hoses to one vacuum sourse you will see they do not all go to the same level. You should be able to calibrate the thing but i dont think you can. Can you?

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
You guys are lucky on the island - It's like full on winter over her in the interior now so no riding for us....
Glad you had success with the sync, and I really like that Carbtune you got - I've got the new version motion pro to replace my old broken mercury one - I don't like it as much and prefer the old deadly poison mercury one lol.
We are lucky for sure. It rained overnight and grey here this morning Geoff but definitely ride-able weather. I'm gong to finish my tea and go find some breakfast a la two wheels!
I was pretty impressed with the Carbtune. I've never used such a tool before but I'm really glad I bought it.
Igofar gave me a major time and aggravation saving tip: go to a hobby shop and buy some brass tubing that fits into the vacuum hose. Cut four short lengths, maybe an 3/4 inch long and put one into the end of each of the sync tool hoses.

This lets you pull the hoses from the 5-way T and plug them into the sync tool instead of having to try put the tool hoses onto the vacuum ports on the throttle bodies.

So much easier!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Ya know. If you hook all the carbtune hoses to one vacuum source you will see they do not all go to the same level. You should be able to calibrate the thing but I dont think you can. Can you?
No you can't calibrate them. I have no reason to think they aren't well calibrated. Have you connected all hoses to one source and seen different levels on each column?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Motion Pro really dropped the ball with their "New and improved" carb sticks (made in China).
The Morgan works better than any of the liquid or mercury filled tools, and you can store them laying flat in your tool box without fear of dangerous mercury leaking out!
The only thing you need to watch for with the Morgan tubes, is to make sure the unit is perfectly level so the outside tube does not bind.
I sit them on the center of the handlebars, and run a tarp bungie (loop & ball) from the unit, down the front of the fairing, and under the shield, to hold it in place. By moving the shield up or down, you can increase tension etc.
Maybe DavidR8 will post a picture of my set up?
Igofar

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
We are lucky for sure. It rained overnight and grey here this morning Geoff but definitely ride-able weather. I'm gong to finish my tea and go find some breakfast a la two wheels!
I was pretty impressed with the Carbtune. I've never used such a tool before but I'm really glad I bought it.
Igofar gave me a major time and aggravation saving tip: go to a hobby shop and buy some brass tubing that fits into the vacuum hose. Cut four short lengths, maybe an 3/4 inch long and put one into the end of each of the sync tool hoses.

This lets you pull the hoses from the 5-way T and plug them into the sync tool instead of having to try put the tool hoses onto the vacuum ports on the throttle bodies.

So much easier!
Do you have the diameter of the brass tubing? I also have a new Carbtune and am planning a starter valve sync now that riding season is over around here.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Do you have the diameter of the brass tubing? I also have a new Carbtune and am planning a starter valve sync now that riding season is over around here.
Hmm no I don't actually. It wasn't labeled and the fellow at the shop just charged me two bucks for it.
I don't have anything that I can measure it with but the vacuum hose is 4mm ID

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
What I use instead of the brass tubing, is I went to ACE hardware in the specialty parts sections (nuts/bolts/clips) etc. and purchased nylon tubing the correct dia.
They sell them in 1 inch sections, for about a nickel a piece.
I find the plastic ones slip into the hose easier, and have less risk of cutting the hoses.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
David, thanks for posting the old pictures, did I send you one of the front of the bike, showing the bungie set up? If so, could you attach that as well?
Larry

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
No you can't calibrate them. I have no reason to think they aren't well calibrated. Have you connected all hoses to one source and seen different levels on each column?
Where did you get your carbtune gauge?

Bike
07 ST1300
yes. Thats why l mentioned it. Try it. Calibrating the "sticks" is step one so used the same connector and it was close but not perfect.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
yes. Thats why l mentioned it. Try it. Calibrating the "sticks" is step one so used the same connector and it was close but not perfect.
Respectfully, I have read every line of the manual and no where does it say to calibrate the unit by cross-connecting all hoses to one port at the same time. Did you do this and then note which one was different and then add/subtract the difference for that cylinder when doing the actual adjustment?

Top Bottom