Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Starter valve synce virgin no more!

Bike
    '04 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Starter valve synce virgin no more!

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    Having used everything from gauges, motion pro, mercury sticks, and the Morgan unit, I still find the Morgan the quickest and easiest, and most accurate to use when put together and used properly.
    The Motion Pro unit, you must calibrate it because it uses fluid, and the quality control is just close. The Morgan unit uses precise measured stainless steel tubes, measured hoses, instructs you to place the dampers at a specific measured spot, etc.
    The only issue with the Morgan unit, is it MUST be placed/held perfectly up and down (why I place mine on the handlebars and use the bungie cord to hold it perfectly still) or it will tilt a little causing one of the rod(s), normally #4 to catch or bind a little.
    This is what I think happened to yours when you were trying to check the calibration.
    There is no need to calibrate the Morgan unit.
    Also, when your adjusting your TB's, you must do it in several waves, because one adjustment will change the one next to it etc.
    My first pass will get them close, then the second, even closer, THEN, I start fine tuning them up or down as needed.
    Before doing this procedure, it helps if the throttle cables are clean/lubed/properly adjusted, and every time you move that 7 mm nut a little, you should blip the throttle and let everything settle down before moving onto the next.
    If you haven't use The Digisync, it doesn't get any easier or any more accurate than this!

Bike
    07 ST1300
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    Having used everything from gauges, motion pro, mercury sticks, and the Morgan unit, I still find the Morgan the quickest and easiest, and most accurate to use when put together and used properly.
    The Motion Pro unit, you must calibrate it because it uses fluid, and the quality control is just close. The Morgan unit uses precise measured stainless steel tubes, measured hoses, instructs you to place the dampers at a specific measured spot, etc.
    The only issue with the Morgan unit, is it MUST be placed/held perfectly up and down (why I place mine on the handlebars and use the bungie cord to hold it perfectly still) or it will tilt a little causing one of the rod(s), normally #4 to catch or bind a little.
    This is what I think happened to yours when you were trying to check the calibration.
    There is no need to calibrate the Morgan unit.
    Also, when your adjusting your TB's, you must do it in several waves, because one adjustment will change the one next to it etc.
    My first pass will get them close, then the second, even closer, THEN, I start fine tuning them up or down as needed.
    Before doing this procedure, it helps if the throttle cables are clean/lubed/properly adjusted, and every time you move that 7 mm nut a little, you should blip the throttle and let everything settle down before moving onto the next.
    I must try to pull a vacuum with my vacuum pump and see what happens. May need a constant source of vacuum though. Larry trust me I shifted it round etc. They were all bobbing up and down nicely.
    Why in the heck don't they assemble the restrictors themselves I wonder.
    I bet you haven't put them all on one source. I got 50 cents on it.
    As I said and I now repeat, The amount mine was out doesn't mean a hoot in hell. I am quite sure it's within spec for the manufacturer.
    So refresh my memory. Is it vacuum vs gravity with those things or vacuum vs gravity with some coil spring thrown in?

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

With all the things that can and have been made there must be some individual needle-type valve/restrictors that could be put inline with each tube for closer calibration if wanted or need be.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

Bike
    07 ST1300
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Well I tried to be a bit more scientific about my accusations of mild inaccuracy. I succeeded, and proved that I was WRONG. I used a hand vacuum pump pumping like mad and my carb tune is within about a small graduation and a half. Close enough!
    Behold!

5. The Following User Likes This Post:

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Found this explanation of what the starter valves do. Most interesting to me was the explanation of the #1 reference cylinder.
    David
    STOC 8968
    2005 w/ factory topbox

7. The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

It also illustrates how the starter valves work through what we used to call the idle circuit and the adjustment really only affects idle and immediate off-idle response. Once the butterflies crack open and begin to let air through the large inlets the starter valves begin to lose effect on mixture or vacuum and eventually have no effect at normal operating rpms.

This is long been a challenge when synching carbs or throttle bodies that have individual adjustments to butterflies which the ST1300 does not allow. If we set the vacuums the same at idle, say 1000 rpm, then the vacuum values will not match up at 3 or 4,000 rpm. If we set them the same at 3000 rpm, then at idle they will not usually be the same so we decide to find a happy medium where the engine idles well and is reasonably in synch at operating rpm. It's more noticeable on twins then fours.

Dave

Honda ST1300
    Honda NC700XD
    BMW R 1200RT

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cdnemsguy View Post
    Nov 1st we got the white stuff and no more riding. That means it is time for a carb sync.
    Good luck finding any carbs to sync on your ST1300. Sorry, I couldn't resist...

The Older I Get ... The Better I Was

'03 ST1300A (The one with the faST black wheels)

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Good luck finding any carbs to sync on your ST1300. Sorry, I couldn't resist...
    Nice one. But maybe I was talking about my 1100 or my Yamaha XS 11. But no I wasn't, here ya go...TB sync so your OCD doesn't flair up too much. Problem solved.

12. The Following User Likes This Post:

Hey DavidR8, looks like you better go back in and Undo all the work you did...cause DDuelin claims that the work you did only affects idle and immediate off-idle response at normal operating RPM's
    So this means your improved MPG, Roll on response, and general better performance is all in your head
    Now your gonna have to ride that beauty down to visit the OCD Garage and let me buy you Lunch.
    Thanks for all the outstanding pictures, text, updates, and information you put in all your posts.
    Igofar

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    Found this explanation of what the starter valves do. Most interesting to me was the explanation of the #1 reference cylinder.
    Thats a great vid thanks for posting ..... seems they are similar in action to pilot screws or a bike version of fords IACs. I did not quite get it because I am used to other bikes needing throttle body syncing.
    Last edited by thekaz; 11-14-2017 at 03:13 PM.

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast