Back on a ST

dr1954

Rick
Bike
=6= F800gs
Well sort of.

I was looking for a project bike to play with and ride to work and came across this jewel.

It needed a lot of clean up and TLC. I changed all the fluids, new tires, cleaned the carbs and changed all the bulbs to led.

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Until the NC700X came out the f650 version of that bike was the British magazine Bike economy champ on the fuel test circuit they use. The Rotax engine is very thrifty on gas. Not all bikes have to be the sexiest or the most powerful.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Nice bike. I own a 97 f650st. It has @ 60,000 miles and runs really well. Last year I rebuilt the carbs and it got a lot better gas mileage. Easy bike to work on and it handles surprisingly well on pavement in the twisties. Clean the connections from the stator to the VR (2 of them)or they will burn the skinny wires if corroded.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Rick I have a DR650 that I bought as a second bike. One I could throw in the back of my truck on my 7 days off and go wherever.
I will have had it 4 years this January. In February 2015 I bought a 2012 BMW G650GS I thought I would replace my DR650 with. It just didn’t fit me. But it was a fun little bike to ride. That motor could not touch my DR off the line. But would smoke it in on the top end.
I only kept the BMW 6 months. I traded it in on a new Triumph Tiger 800XCX. One of the most fun bikes I have ever owned in my life!
I still have the ST. Thinking real hard about a new RT, the Tiger and the DR650. I just can’t get rid of that little bike. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Sometimes it is nice to grab a 400 or 500 lb bike instead of a 700 plus pound bike.
They all three put a smile on my face when I ride them. I just have options now of what I can do when it’s time to ride.
I’ll bet you enjoy that bike the more you ride it.

Last edited:
Rick I have a DR650 that I bought as a second bike. One I could throw in the back of my truck on my 7 days off and go wherever.
I will have had it 4 years this January. In February 2015 I bought a 2012 BMW G650GS I thought I would replace my DR650 with. It just didn’t fit me. But it was a fun little bike to ride. That motor could not touch my DR off the line. But would smoke it in on the top end.
I only kept the BMW 6 months. I traded it in on a new Triumph Tiger 800XCX. One of the most fun bikes I have ever owned in my life!
I still have the ST. Thinking real hard about a new RT, the Tiger and the DR650. I just can’t get rid of that little bike. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Sometimes it is nice to grab a 400 or 500 lb bike instead of a 700 plus pound bike.
They all three put a smile on my face when I ride them. I just have options now of what I can do when it’s time to ride.
I’ll bet you enjoy that bike the more you ride it.
Trade that old ST in on new RT and never look back.:bmwkick1

OP
OP
dr1954

dr1954

Rick
Bike
=6= F800gs
Rick I have a DR650 that I bought as a second bike.
Keith, when I started looking for a second bike I looked at a few dr650s, honda xl650s and suzuki 400s. Then I woke up and realized I am too old for an "adventure bike". There are not any good gravel or dirt roads near where I live so I went a different route. I am waiting for a warm day to take it for a long ride.:)

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I realized the first time I hit some deep sand on my DR that I was too old and broke down to be doing that. LOL I ride it 90% of the time on pavement. Two lane roads are great on it.
I have road it to Arkansas and to Texas. Definitely not the ST or the Tiger. But I made it.
I'll bet you will enjoy that bike. You just can't pass like you can on your 1600. But tires will last longer. And you'll like the gas mileage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom