04 vs 06

Bike
2002 ST1100
Are there any real appreciable differences between a '04 and a '06 1300? I think I read that in 06 one change was to reduce the engine heat? I have been researching the 1300 and I am just trying to become informed. Thanks for replying!

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The '05 and later have metal heat shields attached to the back of the belly pan. I don't believe that these would have any effect on heat felt by the rider, but served to reduce heat from the exhaust transmitted to the plastic belly pan.

In my opinion, the changes made over the years weren't significant. The sole exception was the addition of the electric windshield adjustment, which was omitted from the standard '03. (ABS '03 models had the electric adjustment.)

Mileage and condition are significant differences you'll find on used bikes of various years, except for the colors. Our US models came in one color each year (other than the white police bikes.)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The only differences is that the '04 had a couple of recalls, and they had fixed those issues by '06, and '04 was :bl13: where the '06 was :bk13:

I would like to see what you read, that told you there was a heat fix, to make sure my information is correct.

To my knowledge, the heat tricks by Honda over the life of the ST1300/P:

In '04 they added a heat shield to the left muffler, to keep the heat off the brakes. (I have a brand new '03 muffler that doesn't have the mounts for it.

In '08, they increased the amount of material for the cat, causing more heat from the muffler, so they added a "lower" side cover to both side covers and they added the triangle "block" to keep the heat from the ankle. There were no other "heat" treatments that Honda did from '02 (UK) thru the 2014 ST1300P that I'm aware of.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The '05 and later have metal heat shields attached to the back of the belly pan. I don't believe that these would have any effect on heat felt by the rider, but served to reduce heat from the exhaust transmitted to the plastic belly pan.
Do you have a diagram of that heat shield and just where it is located?

Thanks

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

In my opinion, the changes made over the years weren't significant. The sole exception was the addition of the electric windshield adjustment, which was omitted from the standard '03. (ABS '03 models had the electric adjustment.)

Mileage and condition are significant differences you'll find on used bikes of various years, except for the colors. Our US models came in one color each year (other than the white police bikes.)
Do you have a diagram of that heat shield and just where it is located?

Thanks
Okay, I forgot about the heatshields in the lower/lower cowls... ;)

BTW, the ST Wiki is missing some stuff on the '08s...

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Well I can't believe that no one has told you the real difference between the two. The '06 is prettier and faster!

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well I can't believe that no one has told you the real difference between the two. The '06 is prettier and faster!
But the 10 & 12 is even prettier and faster than the '06, but when you put '04 plastic on a 2010, that makes it the prettiest and the fastest! :rofl1:

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I do believe that the 06' has the rubber "sheet" for a heat shield over the throttle body where prior it doesn't. also there is a difference in the front or back brake calipers??? not sure what that is however I have seen on here that they are not interchangeable.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I do believe that the 06' has the rubber "sheet" for a heat shield over the throttle body where prior it doesn't. also there is a difference in the front or back brake calipers??? not sure what that is however I have seen on here that they are not interchangeable.
My model year 2005 has the rubber sheet under the throttle bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Roginoz! You have an '05. Do you think engine heat is an issue?
There is a good deal of heat on really hot days (living in Kansas...,) but it's manageable. I keep the gap between the front of the seat and the fuel tank/upper frame sealed with some tubular rubber material (my front seat mount is in the high position, and the rear is in the middle - this leaves a gap at the front.) Making sure that the slots and tabs at the front of the seat are engaged; this minimizes the space between the seat and tank/frame.

I don't believe that there are any differences in the heat levels from year to year, and I don't see heat as a reason to not buy an ST1300.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

--Mark
Ah, yeah, well, it's like this...It says I'm already registered, but since I have no idea what the username is (keeps saying invalid) I can't get in! :eek:4:

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
My '04 has the rubber heat sheet under the throttle bodies as well. I do not find my bike to be unreasonably hot,, btw. Cat'
Agree. But as I'm ATGATT there's a pretty heavy barrier between me and any hot air flowing from the bike. Others who dress lighter might find the heat an issue.

I'd base my buying decision on mileage, condition and maintenance record. Otherwise I don't think there's much to choose between the two years. Well, except for the exclusive blue paint. :)

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks Roginoz! You have an '05. Do you think engine heat is an issue?
I have an 05 and I would consider the heat an issue. In fact there's an entire sub-forum on here devoted to it. There are a lot of models of bikes that generate lots of heat so it's not uncommon. I've learned to manage it in hot weather by wearing "Heat Out" undergarments to provide an additional layer to insulate my lower legs and ankles. On my bike, it's the exposed frame that gets hot and cooks my legs. The 1100 definitely produces less heat. That may be because there is no catalytic converters to contribute to the heat, or it may be the frame design, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom