Out of state purchase

Hey guys,

I'm looking at a seemingly nice and well priced BMW in another state. Short of going there to see it, what's the best way to handle a transaction like this?

Harry

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
What state is it in? Somebody here would probably look at it for you. I’ve done before. And so have others.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I enjoy fly and rides. No money changes hands till my eyes and butt have tested the bike. Both worked out great for me. If not, I’ll find a way home.

Greg

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
There are differences from state to state.

I'm in Texas and recently obtained a bike located in Louisiana. Their laws required notarized signatures of the buyer and seller for a title transfer. Their online regulations required this to be done with both parties physically present. So, I hitched a ride very early in the morning to the owner's home and we took the papers to the local DMV. There were several papers required that I could not download in advance but....surprise of surprises....DMV lady was extremely helpful. We were in and out in 20 minutes. In Louisiana, plates really are not the property of the owner but of the state. They have to be turned in on sale, lapse of insurance, etc. I explained that I was riding the bike back to Fort Worth and needed a temporary plate. She said they couldn't issue a temporary plate to an out of state buyer but if I promised to mail the plate back to the owner asap, I could keep the plate for the trip home. The owner, not buyer must return the plate to the state. Worked fine with the PO getting the plate in the mail and able to turn it in within a week, in spite of his very rural location.

This was the process for a private interstate sale. All an attempt at reducing fraudulent sales or sales of stolen vehicles. Had I bought the bike from a Louisiana dealership, it would have been easier.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I just did this to purchase my 2018 K1600 GTL. I asked a lot of questions and then held the check until I had a chance to view and ride the bike. Purchase a round trip plane ticket that way you won't feel pressured to buy the bike.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bolter1100
Baker Boy, those are some good threads that you pulled up. Its a pretty daunting process but after reading through everything I think it can be done...carefully, using PayPal and perhaps getting a forum member from the vicinity to check the bike out.

BTW its located in Jacksonville FL so a fly and ride back to CO isn't too practical this time of year.

If anyone out there from the Jacksonville area would be willing to help, I would be very grateful.

Harry

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I️'m in Texas and bought an ST1100 in California. I️ had someone in CA look at it (thanks Mac) and all was good so I️ decided to buy it. Gave them (dealership) a CC deposit over the phone, flew out there a few weeks later, checked out and test rode the bike and then paid the balance owed with cash. Dealer did the paperwork and I️ left the next day to ride back to Texas. Was a great trip back.

I️ did purchase a temporary TX tag online but never used it.

Good luck with your purchase.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I live in Jacksonville. PM me if I can be of any assistance.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
I live in Ohio and bought my 2007 ST1300 in Illinois. I found the bike on CycleTrader.com. I contacted the dealer via email and a couple of phone calls. I got more info on the bike. I negotiated a low than listed price and set a date for a test ride and possible purchase. Fortunately, my sister lives in St Louis, MO, which is only 60 miles from the dealership. I flew in to STL, spent the night my sister's family, then my sister, brother-in-law and I hooked up the neighbor's bike trailer to their van and headed to the dealership. I inspected the bike, took it for a test ride, then filled out all the paperwork and paid cash. We put the bike on the trailer and hauled it to my house. I could have ridden it home but it rained all day and it got colder the further north we got. When we got home, there was snow on the ground.

I had to wait a week for the dealer so send me their title. In Ohio, vehicles bought out of state have to have their VIN inspected to verify that they match what is on the paperwork. I had to wait an hour at the DMV, got the VIN inspected, went next door, had the title transferred in about 15 minutes, went back to the DMV and got the license plates. I didn't have to wait in line again as all I had to do was wait for the DMV agent that inspected the VIN to finish with their current customer and she provided the plates.

If you are looking for good used bikes with good pictures, CycleTrader.com is a good way to go.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yeah, paulcb. A fly and ride would be my first choice but not in November!
Understood. Maybe someone in the area could store it for you, or get it shipped, probably for about $650. Maybe the seller will hold it with a deposit?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I live in Ohio and bought my 2007 ST1300 in Illinois.
I had to wait a week for the dealer so send me their title. In Ohio, vehicles bought out of state have to have their VIN inspected to verify that they match what is on the paperwork.
I would think that bikes bought from a dealer would be a safer bet than from a private seller - if only because it should be easier to find complaints about a dealer than a private party who sells one item a year. And the dealer is probably not going anywhere.

When I had my bike inspected for plates, the DMV woman could not see the VIN and she asked me to read it aloud to her. Excellent inspection. I had the VIN written on a piece of paper in large block writing sitting on the gas tank while I read the numbers off the frame to her. (note a bit of sarcasm here)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Back in 2000 I bought a bike in Canada. I drove up when I thought the weather would cooperate (wrong) but also had issues with trying to get the bike across the border. I had to leave the bike in Canada (at a house of a guy that does those type of transfers). The next moth, I had the original owner (I paid for a night at a motel for him & his wife) to pick up the bike, ride it south of the border, where I picked it up and put it in my pickup and brought it back to San Diego. What an expensive hassle! :eek:4:

I finally got it through the CA DMV...another hassle.

Buying my 2012 ST1300 in Washington was much easier! 2012 ST1300

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Back in 2000 I bought a bike in Canada. I drove up when I thought the weather would cooperate (wrong) but also had issues with trying to get the bike across the border. I had to leave the bike in Canada (at a house of a guy that does those type of transfers). The next moth, I had the original owner (I paid for a night at a motel for him & his wife) to pick up the bike, ride it south of the border, where I picked it up and put it in my pickup and brought it back to San Diego. What an expensive hassle! :eek:4:

I finally got it through the CA DMV...another hassle.

Buying my 2012 ST1300 in Washington was much easier! 2012 ST1300
Wow! I didn't think CA would register a CAnadian bike. I'm surprised you got it into California.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I bought my ST about 4 years ago. It was in Northern Ohio. I'm in TN. After talking a bit on the phone about it, I got a one way flight to Ohio and rode it back. It's been a great bike. I've gotten several bikes out of state and have never had a bad experience yet. Just ask a lot of questions and ask to see lot of pictures of different angles and close ups. One bike I was interested in once, the guy would not send me any pictures from the right side. When he finally did, upon close inspection, it was obvious those pictures were of a DIFFERENT bike. Needless to say, I did not buy that bike.

OP
OP
bolter1100
Guys, thanks for your input. There is a lot of wisdom on this forum but I ended up not making the deal. Especially thanks to dduelin for offering to help on the Florida end.

Harry

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow! I didn't think CA would register a CAnadian bike. I'm surprised you got it into California.
Actually so was I! It falls under what they call a Grey Market bike. It was a 1985 V45 Sabre (750cc, not a 700cc). I did get a letter from DMV explaining the proper way to import a vehicle, and two months after that I called the person that sent me that letter, they were no longer there, but the gal on the other end said they would mail me out the title and tags shortly. Got them within a week! :D

Top Bottom