VFR1200X - first 500 mile review

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Warning, rabbit trail ahead...

You'd rather have keyless ignition than cruise control? Other than convenience, what's the attraction to keyless? I can see a few advantages of keyless in a car, but a bike, not so much, for me anyways.
As an aside to this I'd love to have key-less, lockable bags. I've seen the mods with knobs on the keys but I don't feel comfortable leaving the keys in the bags. A way to unlock without a key would be brilliant.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
One last note and then some final thoughts, my speedo is dead on with my SatNav. Now the Crosstourer Forum states that there is a 10% error in the speedo. So I am curious as to why mine is dead on. Which I think is great. But I am thinking that hidden under the covers somewhere a SpeedoHealer is sitting. But since I got the bike through a dealer I have no PO contact info.
Nice write-up. I fancy taking a look.

Re the comment - ignore what other people say about speedos being 10% out. Speedos, like all manufactured products are built within a tolerance range. That is, some will read higher, some will read lower. The majority will read around about the average. With that range in mind, the manufacturers have to be aware of the legal requirement that no speedo will ever show a slower speed than the actual speed of the vehicle. Ever.

So the manufacturer has to aim to produce speedos so that (for example) the ones that are 'the norm' will read (say) 65mph when the true speed is 60mph. In that way, the ones that come off the production line that read lower than the average will still never read above 60mph when the true speed is 60mph.

In fact, the manufacturers have quite a big tolerance range for the speed indicated on their speedos. In the UK and europe, this must never be lower than the actual speed, and must never exceed 10% +6.25mph. So for a true speed of 60mph, the readout could be anything from 60 to 72.25mph. Statistically, the majority will be a little either side of 66.125mph, with a small number approaching the extremes. Yours might be one of the ones that came off the production line at the extreme end of the tolerance limit.

When the testing is done, they speedos are tested at the extreme end - so brand new tyres are used with deeper than normal tread, over-inflated, higher temperatures - all to make sure that there are no circumstances when the speedo can read lower than the actual speed.

But if the speedo does indicate a true speed (eg with speedo healer), it is a temporary thing. The speedo readout is very much dictated by the tyres, the temperature, the amount of air in there, how worn they are ...... At 100mph a worn tyre will read about 2mph different from when the tyre was brand new. (it has lost 2% of its diameter in tread wear).

Similarly, your satnav readout isn't necessarily accurate. It doesn't show your current speed, it calculates the speed you have been travelling over the last few satellite fixes, and it will be a few seconds behind - assuming that you are not surrounded by trees, buildings, mountains etc, when the positional fix may be wrong.

Also, note that if the satellite fix is lost, then some modern satnavs seem to assume that you are maintaining the same speed as you were before it lost the signal - without any warning. Try it. Note your speed as you enter a tunnel. Then speed up and slow down. Satnav stays fixed at the same speed - mine does anyway. The funniest readout is when you emerge into daylight and the satnav has to catch up with where you actually are. For a second, I've seen it read out over 100mph when it calculates my speed based on its assumed position and my actual position. I was only doing 30, honestly officer.

So, I do my own speedo healing. I wait until I am an open road, the tyres are warmed up, I am able to maintain a constant speed, and the satnav speed readout is staying put. I then note what my speedo is saying compared to the satnav. If it says 64, and the satnav says 60 then I can be fairly sure that for the rest of the ride that 64 on the speedo is an actual 60 - unless the temperature has a significant change.

Sorry - that was a long answer to a simple question. I'm off to see what I can find out about that VFR1200 now.

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
Grabcon, my Crosstourer's speedo and the Garmin are also in sync. I was worried about it after reading the european forums but figured that my riding always incudes the GPS so wasn't to worried. I was very happy to find that the speedo is dead on.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
John your points about speedo accuracy tolerances are well taken. It is that I have never owned a motorcycle where the speedo was dead on without correction intervention. I also understand issue with SatNAV as I have been working with that technology since 1996. But without spinning the rear tire and counting revolutions the SatNAV provides a quick and easy way to measure speed. The lag time is obvious but honestly that is okay. If the SatNAV provides a confidence level that one can live with, that is what's important.

Stump thanks for stepping in and verifying that the speedo is that close to actual.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
paulcb said:
Other than convenience, what's the attraction to keyless?
For me keyless ignition is all about the convenience—

the convenience of not having to dig for a key
the convenience of not having to fumble getting
-the key in the ignition at night
the convenience of not suffering the inconvenience
-of looking for a dropped key—especially at night
the convenience of not suffering the inconvenience
-of a dead battery because the ignition was left on
the convenience of not having to take the key
-out of the ignition to open a pannier

There may be other examples but I can't think of any at the moment. There may be additional benefits besides convenience but I haven't thought that far.

Since GW bags can be opened from the bike without a key (if I recall correctly) it wouldn't be too tough for Honda or a Master Farkler to wire one or all bags and trunk to unlock on the approach of the rider and lock on ignition. That would be very cool.

Obviously most of the above could be accomplished with the discipline of always knowing where your key is at any moment. I am not that guy.

And it's pretty trick. The only thing cooler would be telling the bike 'Let's ride!' and it starts up with the brakes on and releases them when you sit on the seat and shift into gear or twist the throttle (DCT) and it replies 'Where to?'. But that's just me.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jfheath; said:
I then note what my speedo is saying compared to the satnav.
I've done this from time to time enough to know that my speedo reads about 3-5mph faster than GPS at speed. This is enough to keep me from knowingly exceeding any posted or otherwise noted speed limit. That's enough for me. I'd only worry about making it spot on if it were reading slower than actual speed.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Off topic a bit here with the speedo from the original thread on the VFR1200X. But my wife rides too and it sounds like having a speedo that is off a bit is no big deal. But with the lead bike is dead on and the follower is off (like hers 7.5%) she will do what her speedo says and continue to fall behind until out of sight. So in my case since the VFR1200X speedo is good I affixed a SpeedoHealer (that I had in a box) to my wife's bike (VFR800) and made the 7.5% correction. And now low and behold there is no more lagging behind. Funny how that works. :)

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Off topic a bit here with the speedo from the original thread on the VFR1200X. But my wife rides too and it sounds like having a speedo that is off a bit is no big deal. But with the lead bike is dead on and the follower is off (like hers 7.5%) she will do what her speedo says and continue to fall behind until out of sight. So in my case since the VFR1200X speedo is good I affixed a SpeedoHealer (that I had in a box) to my wife's bike (VFR800) and made the 7.5% correction. And now low and behold there is no more lagging behind. Funny how that works. :)
Brad, so now that you have both speedos dead on, load them of the trailer behind your van and come down to my place. You can leave the van/trailer in the drive and we’ll all go down to RanchSTOC together :)

Bike
2019 Tracer 900 GT
I was just at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show this last weekend and out of all the bike I sat on, the VFR1200x was the best. I am on the lookout of a lighter bike also. Thanks for the review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for a great review! I'm very interested in the Crosstourer as well.

"Is it tall? Yep it is, but I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam and I can flat foot it." I found that confusing. We are the same height and inseam, yet when I sit on the bike I absolutely cannot flatfoot it. The Honda specs claim 33.5" seat height. Just curious - was yours lowered? If so, that may explain fork height reset. Lowered seat?

The seat height is really the only thing I don't like about the bike.

Thanks

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I looked at these before settling on an ST.
Coming from the somewhat lighter but very top-heavy Tiger to the heavier Crosstourer both with the same seat height was a non-starter for me.
I wasn't able to find one to actually sit on so have no idea if I could flatfoot it.

I'm 5'9†with a 32†inseam and I could not flatfoot the Tiger which is very narrow so unless the Honda's suspension is very soft I doubt I could flatfoot it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
"Is it tall? Yep it is, but I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam and I can flat foot it." I found that confusing. We are the same height and inseam, yet when I sit on the bike I absolutely cannot flatfoot it. The Honda specs claim 33.5" seat height. Just curious - was yours lowered? If so, that may explain fork height reset. Lowered seat?

The seat height is really the only thing I don't like about the bike.
To the best of my knowledge it is no lowered. And honestly I think we all should get over flat footing while siting. I know I did mention it but honestly we spend 99% of our time with feet on the pegs. When I ride and stop I only have my left foot on the floor, the other is on the peg and brake peddle. There is no need to flat foot.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
In two reviews, one written and one a video, I've read/heard that the 1200X has self-cancelling turn signals? Is that correct Brad? If so, how well do they work?

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Yes they have self cancelling signals. They work on distance traveled. Without looking in the owner's manual I don't remember the distance. I find them very nice. To the point I just don't think about turning them off anymore. My wife no longer tells me that I am blinking.

Also there are four modes for the Torque Control (TC). This works off the ABS system. as soon as the wheel speeds are different it kicks in and tempers things down. It gets reset with each turn on and off of the ignition key. Always to the most passive setting. The settings are 3, 2 1 and then no TC. I honestly leave it in 3 mode (most passive) unless on dirt roads then I turn it off.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Grabcon said:
And honestly I think we all should get over flat footing while siting.
Well it's a choice. But for me it's important as moving the bike around when parking or getting in and out of the garage or other tight space is a consideration. I'm not really comfortable pushing a bike around on tippy-toes and very often there's not enough room to dismount and walk the bike around. And it's heavier than I like for that too.

If the/a bike doesn't feel too tall or top heavy then party on. But a drop counts whether you're on the street or in the garage. And double if somebody sees you! :rofl1:

Top Bottom