VFR1200X - first 500 mile review

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have found that moving this bike around while off the bike is a piece of cake compared to an ST. It does seem big but with the handle bars high and a hand on the seat it is very easy to move around. To your point about tippy toes I have park the bike a couple of times without thinking about footing and yep tippy toe is a PIA. But if you follow the 5P rule things go easy. Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. I have learned to find better parking spots. It only takes once.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I agree. Flat footing is over rated. There are techniques to cope with short inseams flat footers never have to learn and use.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yes they have self cancelling signals. They work on distance traveled. Without looking in the owner's manual I don't remember the distance. I find them very nice. To the point I just don't think about turning them off anymore. My wife no longer tells me that I am blinking.

Also there are four modes for the Torque Control (TC). This works off the ABS system. as soon as the wheel speeds are different it kicks in and tempers things down. It gets reset with each turn on and off of the ignition key. Always to the most passive setting. The settings are 3, 2 1 and then no TC. I honestly leave it in 3 mode (most passive) unless on dirt roads then I turn it off.
Thanks for the info Brad. Surprised the self-cancelling signals are hardly even mentioned anywhere, even on Honda's site.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Surprised the self-cancelling signals are hardly even mentioned anywhere, even on Honda's site.
Yep I even had to read the manual to find any info on them.

Just an added note now that I have nearly 2500 mile on the bike since I got it in November. I am still thrilled, but on our trip to Death Valley I found something very annoying. We trailered the bikes from Colorado to Death Valley, so no gas fill ups until California. I find that putting the bike on the center stand is the best way to fill for max capacity. In Colorado the gas pump design is such that the nozzle fits easily into the tank and it is easy to watch the fill. In California they have these stupid sheathing over the pump nozzle that makes filling the bike very difficult since when it is on the center stand the top of the tank is fairly high off the ground. Almost impossible to watch the fill, plus you have to hold the sheathing back to make the pump operate. What a PIA. My wife's VFR800 was much easier to fill as the height to the top of the tank is much lower than the VFR1200X. I found that the gas pump nozzles were a very big annoyance in California.

If I lived in a place that had this type of gas pump fillers this filling issue would be a big deal. At 5'10" I found it very difficult to fill the bike.

Bike
2016 VFR1200X
Just sold my ST and picked up a 2016 VFR1200XA (Canadian version).

I have only had the bike out a couple of times so far but I'm really liking it.

• The engine sound even with the stock pipe is great!
  • There is lots of power which is evident from the traction control kicking in to prevent wheelies.
  • Stock windscreen creates buffeting around my helmet at the highest setting (I'm 6'1"). I am experimenting with an easy windscreen mod inspired by the ST rider here. So far I haven't got mounting bolts that are long enough to make any significant changes in the airflow, but I am still working on this one. Update: I did move the bottom of the windscreen out almost 3/4". It did help with the buffeting but now there is much more wind on my jacket. I removed the spacers and will stick with stock for now and probably buy the medium CalSci windscreen for next spring.
  • Ordered a Fenda Extenda from fleebay... Also looking at a guard for the rad and maybe crash bars and a skid plate. Not that I plan to go off road, but I like the look. Skid plate is expensive, so that may not make the shopping list right now. I ride the other day in the rain without my topbox... The back of my jacket was soaked! I think I may order the rear fender.
  • Honda panniers fit nice and tight to the bike, I'm going to try a vinyl wrap or just paint them something other than silver. For now I am riding the bike sans panniers. The bike looks good to me with or without them installed.
  • Fuel economy is not as good as the ST1300 so far, but I've just been bombing around town on short trips so far.
  • Bike is very tall, but much more narrow than the ST, so I can flat foot it no problem. Even being this tall, the bike does not feel as top heavy to me in town as the ST did, even with a pillion.
  • Pillion reports a bit more vibration that the ST, more airflow around her helmet and a slightly narrower seat.
  • Throttle response is immediate... and a bit touchy I find. It seems to be very sensitive while cruising around 2-3000 rpm. Any movement in the throttle is immediately felt on the bike. I have ordered a BoosterPlug to see if that will alleviate this issue. BoosterPlug
  • Handling seems really nice. With a throttle lock (yes no cruise control... HELLO HONDA!!!) there is no handlebar vibration at any speed or while decelerating... my ST had a little wobble around 40mph.
  • Cornering is great so far... stock tires on this bike as it only has 4400 kms on it (2700 miles). Reports say that these tires will not last long, so I am researching options for replacements already.
  • Linked brakes are effective, but different system that the ST. The front does not activate any rear brakes, only the rear will activate a link to that front brakes.
  • Front shocks are a little soft, so I plan to adjust the preload but haven't gotten around to that yet.
  • Rear shock is good. First thing I noticed when my pillion mounted the bike with me is that is seemed to stay nice and level vs the ST1300 which seemed to squat a little with both of us on board... we are not tiny people.
  • Lighting seems good... I will likely install the third brake light that was on the ST as I like to be seen while stopping. I have not ridden at night yet.
  • I installed my helmet guardian bracket, but will probably move it to another location other than behind the license plate eventually.
  • Installed my RAM mount to the clutch reservoir for my GPS. The power port for the GPS is almost directly below that and it is switched with the key... not as protected for my GPS from rain, but looks good for now. I use an cheap automotive GPS, not waterproof, but has worked flawlessly for 3 years. I will probably move the RAM Mount with a new base.
  • Speedometer is a full 8kph (5 mph) off at highway speeds (HELLO HONDA!!! WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?). For an electronic speedo, that is just stupid! I don't think I should have to pay $150 to calibrate the speedo on this bike. Not that my old ST was any better.
  • I may paint the exhaust black like I did on the ST... probably this winter.
Well, this list got longer that I thought it would.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Throttle response is immediate... and a bit touchy I find. It seems to be very sensitive while cruising around 2-3000 rpm. Any movement in the throttle is immediately felt on the bike. I have ordered a BoosterPlug to see if that will alleviate this issue. BoosterPlug
Before you buy the BoosterPlug make sure your throttle has minimum slack when you turn it. Although the throttle has cables it is a fly by wire system, having little or no slack makes a huge difference. Also as part of that at least adjust your suspension to the owners manual starting point recommendations. I found that doing these thing made the throttle very smooth and removed almost all of the jerkiness that I was experiencing. I also put an electronic cruise control on mine and having the throttle adjusted properly was key to making the cruise work properly.

As far as the speedo, mine and other have not experienced any deviation between the speedo and GPS.

Bike
2016 VFR1200X
Before you buy the BoosterPlug make sure your throttle has minimum slack when you turn it. Although the throttle has cables it is a fly by wire system, having little or no slack makes a huge difference. Also as part of that at least adjust your suspension to the owners manual starting point recommendations. I found that doing these thing made the throttle very smooth and removed almost all of the jerkiness that I was experiencing. I also put an electronic cruise control on mine and having the throttle adjusted properly was key to making the cruise work properly.

As far as the speedo, mine and other have not experienced any deviation between the speedo and GPS.
Thanks. I have made an adjustment to the throttle cables, but I'll tweak those a bit more. I'll also take a look at setting up the suspension as per the manual.

I did look at the throttle tamer but I don't want to lose my factory installed heated grips.

Bike
2016 VFR1200X
I decided to give the boosterplug a try... after adjusting my throttle cables (good suggestion).

The throttle response off the line and while cruising seemed really sensitive, and the roll-off below 2500 rpm was even more pronounced than it was on the ST1300. So I searched around for a solution and stumbled upon the Boosterplug -- link.

There didn't seem to be many people who had tried it on the CT, but I did find this on another forum... review attached below as a thumbnail.

My initial ride on the bike was just a quick trip out and back cruising at about 120 kph. Starting and stopping the bike, the throttle seems much smoother to me. Riding at highway speeds, the fuel economy seems to be unaffected... more on that once I go through a tank of gas or two.

Check it out if you find your bike to be a little sensitive on the throttle.

Here's what it does if your interested:

- Improved and softer throttle response.
- Harder acceleration.
- No more low speed surging.
- Stronger and more reliable Idle.
- Reduced Puffing in your aftermarket exhaust.

Attachments

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
Make sure you check out the DCT.. I'd have bought one instead of the manual trans. The manual is pretty clunky.

Thanks for your real world experience with the VFR1200X.
I've been eyeing the VFR for some time and thinking about it as a change from the ST.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
The manual is pretty clunky.
Stump, I have about 10k miles on my VFR since my purchase in Nov. 2017, and I cannot disagree with you on the clunkiness of the tranny. Specifically 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. But I didn't find that it was much different than my ST1300. On the VFR, 2nd to 6 and 6 to 2nd a silky smooth. So much so I typically do not use the clutch while shifting up or down.

Here is something I have learned and practice to help resolve the clunky shifting at 1st to 2nd - 2nd to 1st. I found it is all about the clutch. I have found that shifting up or down right at the friction zone point of the clutch makes a world of difference in shifting smoothness. I also found that using aftermarket short clutch lever help with finding that friction zone point much easier. I seem to pull the clutch in less distance than with the factory lever. It does take practice, but that is motorcycling.

Bike
2016 VFR1200X
After my first 1,000 miles on the VFR X, a few more observations.
  • Shifting 1st to 2nd is a bit clunky, I tend to shift earlier from 1st than other gears and that seems to smooth it a little
  • Throttle response is better now... 1) boosterplug installed, 2) throttle cable slack adjusted, 3) installed grip puppies, and 4) I'm getting used to the more sensitive throttle by wire
  • Installed third brake light just below the Givi topbox mounting plate and extra LED driving lights.
  • Installed Givi engine guards (I like these but if you get these, buy a 12mm die tool and run it over the installation bolts).
  • Upgraded to a Fiamm freeway Blaster horn! Ya it's loud!
  • Vinyl wrapped my Honda panniers. I will have to try again, I made a bit of a mess on my first attempt. 3M vinyl is great stuff, I've just never used it before. My pillion and I both find we kick the panniers when mounting the bike.
  • Fuel economy seems to be slightly worse than the ST and smaller gas tank, so I'm finding that I'm the guy that NEEDS gas when riding with others.
  • Front suspension adjusted, increased the preload as the front end seemed to dive any time I use the front brakes. It's much better now.
  • Wind protection is certainly not as comprehensive as the ST but it's ok. I adjusted the angle of the windscreen but it didn't help so I'm back at stock set up. I don't use the full up position in the screen as it creates buffeting on my helmet.
  • Grip heat is ok, not as warm as stock ST heaters, and surprisingly it seems unaffected by the installed grip puppies.
  • Still thinking about custom exhaust, but I don't think I want any more volume out of the bike. It has a nice growl to it already. Only other additions may be a hugger fender and/or the rear fender addition (off of the final drive) and maybe the skid plate.
I just shipped the bike from my home in Canada to a relative's home in Southern California...so we're looking forward to some winter riding this year in SoCal.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
4walls said:
Shifting 1st to 2nd is a bit clunky, I tend to shift earlier from 1st than other gears and that seems to smooth it a little
I've never been on a Honda that didn't have that. Ever. I'm used to it, and preloading the shift lever lightly makes a big difference.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
My pillion and I both find we kick the panniers when mounting the bike
I find that on mine, I stand on the foot peg to mount the bike, this really helps clear the panniers. Yep just look at the BMW GS folks, they do the same.

Fuel economy seems to be slightly worse than the ST and smaller gas tank, so I'm finding that I'm the guy that NEEDS gas when riding with others.
Over 31,300 miles on the ST1300 I had 46.33 MPG, on the VFR1200X over 9600 mile I am getting 47.81 MPG. The MPG's for both bikes are without a pillion. I would say they are pretty much equal. For the tank size I rarely go more than 200 miles without stopping so it really doesn't matter.

Wind protection is certainly not as comprehensive as the ST but it's ok. I adjusted the angle of the windscreen but it didn't help so I'm back at stock set up. I don't use the full up position in the screen as it creates buffeting on my helmet.
I am 5'10" tall and ride with the windscreen in the lowest position and find that it is more than adequate, I also prefer it over the ST's massive windscreen. I am surprised actually how good the wind protection is on the VFR.

I guess we all get different results and have different opinions, but after a year and nearly 10,000 miles I personally would not go back to the ST. Although both a fairly equal in overall technology and in today's world of high tech bikes they are simple machines I find the VFR just fits me and my needs better than the ST.

Bike
Blue 04 ST
I can't wait to ride one someday . After putting 100,000 miles on a 96VFR. What I missed the most when riding the ST was the VFR power delivery and sound. Do you get this same experience on the CT

Top Bottom