Scary, funny and somewhat embarrassing thing happened today

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Okay we all have had moments that we would rather forget. Some are scary, some may have been just funny at our expense and others are embrassing. I had one of those moments today, but honestly I thought is was very serious and was in a bit of a panic. And I do not panic easily.

Out for a coffee ride on the new bike. Coffee is about 50 miles away on some very nice roads over hill and dale and along the river. It was beautiful out. I get to my coffee spot and go to take my helmet off and the release for the chin bar on the modular helmet does not release the chin bar. I tried messing with it and the plastic releases started to bend. I tried taking the helmet off and I could not. It would not move. Here I am stuck 50 miles from home and I cannot get my helmet off.

Oh this sounds funny right? I was in a complete state of shock. I had no idea what to do, and no one was around to help. So the ride to the coffee spot was a very brisk and spirited ride along the river, maybe even a little too fast. But hey it was fun. I got back on and started to ride back home trying to think of what I am going to do to get the helmet off. I slowed my pace considerably from the ride out. All I could think about is what would happen if I crash? How will the EMT's get the helmet off. Well there, that led me to my next step. Ah the EMT's. So I settled down a bit and went to the local fire station near my house. Yep another 50 miles home. I explained what was going on and several fireman came down to help. So they tried as I did to get the release to release the chin bar. And as I no luck. So two of them went to work, one grabbed the helmet straps and the other grabbed the helmet. Now I am sure that if someone walked in at that moment they would get a chuckle or two. I will say that yes they got the helmet off my head, but it was a struggle. They had one heck of a time trying to get it off while leaving on nose and forehead in tack.

So is there a moral to the story? Not sure, but it is worth a chuckle after the fact, heart rate is back down and I get to buy a new helmet to go with the new bike. :)

I know everyone is going to ask what brand and model the helmet is, but I am going to wait to disclose to see if the manufacturer gets back to me and to see if they will do anything for replacing the helmet.

Last edited:
Bike
1998 ST1100
Could have tried heating the helmet with a torch...
(Ya gotta expect some smart-*** answers to this post)

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Hmmm...there may be a case for drilling a 6mm hole in the chin bar of my SHOEI modular I'm now thinking. Instruction sticker for café waitress nearby

"In case of emergency give coffee via straw here".

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
All I could think about is what would happen if I crash? How will the EMT's get the helmet off.
Could have tried heating the helmet with a torch...
First responders are generally fire fighters whose job it is to put out fire. My money would be on a Hurst or maybe a saws-all. But that could get noisy. :)

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I completely understand the predicament you faced.
Once I had the visor lock switch on my helmet stuck closed.
No big deal except I wear glasses. Because I couldn't open the visor I couldn't remove my glasses to take off my helmet.

I had to ask someone to help me press the switch to the open position.

All the while the helmet is fogging up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Same thing happened to me last Spring, about 50 miles from home. Although I can wear the helmet for many hours during a ride, I immediately had clostrophobia and wanted it off my head.....NOW. I tried to calm down and have a drink of water when I realized I couldn't drink from a water bottle, with the chin bar down. More panic! I began to picture myself dead from dehydration with the dang helmet still stuck on my head. The hour's ride home was torture, I was wrecking my brain trying to figure how to get it off, which I thought was probably making my head swell, making things even worse. When I reached home, I was glad I had a Sena, because I couldn't hold a phone to my ear while I called my son-in-law. A half hour later, some breaking of plastic, and a pair of needle nosed pliers, and I was able to break free of my evil bonds. No way it was coming off without being open. Yeah, kinda funny, after its off.

Mine was a Scorpion EXO900, which I found out later, has a history of breaking.

Ride Safe
John

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Wow, glad I read this.
Having a bit of claustrophobia, makes me real glad I don't have a helmet like these. Chin straps can be cut...:eek:

ToddC

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow, interesting story. Glad you got it off.

FWIW, I just tried putting my modular helmet on and taking it off with the chin bar down and locked... it wasn't easy but I got it on and off without ripping my ears off. It's a Shoei Multitec.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Wow, glad I read this.
Having a bit of claustrophobia, makes me real glad I don't have a helmet like these. Chin straps can be cut...:eek:

ToddC
Yeah, I never owned a modular helmet, didn't realize they could get stuck on your head like that, yikes!!

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I take my modular off all of the time without raising the chin bar. It goes on and off like a normal helmet. It is a Shoei Neotec.

Not sure I would own a helmet that had to have the chin bar up to come off.

Sent using Tapatalk

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well after my first Shoei Modular helmet (can't remember what it was called) and 4 Multitecs and now a Neotec, I have yet to have any "lock up" on me!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
This is why I always carry multiple knives :rolleyes:
You think that was claustrophobic, imagine getting a Hard Hat Diving Helmet stuck on your head :salute1:

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
My thought was "cut the strap" but reading more makes me think "doesn't have a strap?"

I've never use a helmet that can lift up. I don't drink or smoke with my helmet on so I don't really have a need to pull up the chin bar and never thought the feature was a plus. I also wondered about reliability and safety in a crash as it seems logical a one-piece would be less apt to open up on impact; although I'm sure all the testing is done to show they are "just as good".

I'll be waiting to hear what the brand/model for this helmet.
IMHO any helmet that can't be taken off easily once the strap is cut, is not a helmet to own. EMT at the scene trying to remove a helmet with the hinge frozen after impact better be able to cut the strap and gently lift it off without acerbating possible spine injury.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
So instead of an oil or tire thread, maybe we need a D Rings vs Quick Release thread. :crackup

I actually tried to like a Neotec, but sitting in my living room for half an hour with it trying to rearrange my dental work cured me. Been sticking to a standard full-face RF series Shoei helmet. Never had an issue with the D-rings, but I have had to deal with their visor quick-release loosening up at the wrong time. Fortunately it didn't require assistance to remove.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
My thought was "cut the strap" but reading more makes me think "doesn't have a strap?"

I've never use a helmet that can lift up. I don't drink or smoke with my helmet on so I don't really have a need to pull up the chin bar and never thought the feature was a plus. I also wondered about reliability and safety in a crash as it seems logical a one-piece would be less apt to open up on impact; although I'm sure all the testing is done to show they are "just as good".

I'll be waiting to hear what the brand/model for this helmet.
IMHO any helmet that can't be taken off easily once the strap is cut, is not a helmet to own. EMT at the scene trying to remove a helmet with the hinge frozen after impact better be able to cut the strap and gently lift it off without acerbating possible spine injury.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
EMT's should not be removing your helmet after an impact! I used to have a sticker on my helmets indicating NOT to remove my helmet before I am being treated in either the trama unit or by a doctor.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
So instead of an oil or tire thread, maybe we need a D Rings vs Quick Release thread. :crackup
great idea Jim.

For the D ring thread, I have a Spyderco knife with CPM-S30V steel, should I use that to cut the strap or one of my cheaper knives with a lesser grade steel?

For Quick release should I use the metal cutting or masonry cutting wheel with my portable Makita angle grinder to cut away the facebar?

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Seems like this happens after rides of 50 miles . Perhaps the solution for those who wear modular hard hats is keep your rides to 49 miles:hat1:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
My first helmet, also a modular, locked closed before I ever used it. The manufacturer replaced it without hesitation or question.

I *think* I could have taken it off had it come to it but am just as glad not to have to have found out.

It has a quick release on the strap, which I now view as a must-have feature so I am limited in replacement options.

Top Bottom