Scary, funny and somewhat embarrassing thing happened today

Bike
ST1300
EMT's and ER personal all have these nifty scissors with teeth that will cut through darn near anything. When I crashed they were about to cut my boot off when I stopped them because they were new. I convince the tech to cut the boot strings then take off the boot. It was a little painful but I didn't loose a new pair of boots.

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
Thanks for sharing this. In the past I rejected the modular helmets because of weight. I know they are getting lighter & becoming more popular. Quite a few of my riding buddies now have them.

I look forward to learning about the resolution of this issue.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Thanks for sharing this. In the past I rejected the modular helmets because of weight. I know they are getting lighter & becoming more popular. Quite a few of my riding buddies now have them.

I look forward to learning about the resolution of this issue.
I tried on the Klim modular at the DC Moto show in January. Wow is it light! And WOW would my wallet be light, if I bought one.

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I also had this happen with my Scorpion EXO900. I had pulled into a rest area and when I tried to lift the chin bar, the release just pulled with no resistance. I tried everything to get that evil bucket off my head and it did not want to move. My riding buddy was laughing at me as I panicked more and more as claustrophobia set in. I finally got him to cooperate and help. I'm sure it was very funny to onlookers as I pressed my helmet to his belly while he took my chin straps and pulled outward as hard as he could. While he did that I was desperately pushing on the helmet. I thought I was going to rip my ears off (and those that know me know that my ears are pretty prominent!), but it finally came off. Scorpion responded very quickly with new parts and simple instructions to repair. But I have never been able to bring myself to put it back on even though I really liked it otherwise. That's been a few years ago, and it still sits in my closet. I finished the final hour or so of that ride with no helmet. Boy did I feel naked.

I had never paid attention before, but with the chin bar up, it is very easy to spread the lower part of the helmet and slip it off my head. With the chin bar down, it would not spread. I went back to HJC. While it is also a bit tight to remove with the chin bar down, it can be done.

I've never tried it, but I wonder (for future reference) if you took a pair of pliers and start yanking at your cheek pads, would they come out and give you enough clearance to remove the helmet easier?

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
EMT's should not be removing your helmet after an impact! I used to have a sticker on my helmets indicating NOT to remove my helmet before I am being treated in either the trama unit or by a doctor.
Good point. I guess I should expand my concern to Doc at the trauma unit trying to remove a helmet with the hinge frozen after impact...

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Okay, so today I received my helmet back from Nolan. It took a little over a week with Thanksgiving in the middle. So not to bad. What was done? They removed the chin bar and replaced all of the hinges and locking mechanisms, fixed the internal sunshade and gave me a new face shield and pin lock. Wow I am impressed. Everything works better than new. And yes I put it on without even thinking about it.

I am happy all the way around. Superb customer service.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Glad your story had a happy ending. I can (just) get my Shoei modular off with the bar down, but I would have to open the visor and take my glasses off first. I might bend my ears and nose into unusual positions but it would come off.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
We should encourage helmet reviewers and certifiers to test for removability in the event of mechanism failure.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
We should encourage helmet reviewers and certifiers to test for removability in the event of mechanism failure.
Bad assumption here, but you would think that this is already part of the testing. Like I said earlier Nolan was very quick to repair the mechanism without question. Although I did notice that they do have a 5 year warranty. Maybe this was covered by that. I never asked.

But to your point Ray that is a great thought. How would that happen? How can we influence certification and testing of helmets? I am guessing that unless there are recorded incidences, basically as the result of accidents how would the government get numbers to warrant an issue?

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Bad assumption here, but you would think that this is already part of the testing. Like I said earlier Nolan was very quick to repair the mechanism without question. Although I did notice that they do have a 5 year warranty. Maybe this was covered by that. I never asked.

But to your point Ray that is a great thought. How would that happen? How can we influence certification and testing of helmets? I am guessing that unless there are recorded incidences, basically as the result of accidents how would the government get numbers to warrant an issue?

Brad -

A starting point would be to get helmet reviewers to add an "ease of removal" category to their existing criteria.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/nolan-n104-review/

Ray

Top Bottom