Added an r100r Mystic to the stable

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
She's beautiful! That was one of the last year BMW's that looked "like a normal motorcycle".
I've got my eye on a used R 1200 Roadster with low miles that I might add to the stable.
If you change your mind about your Mystic, please contact me.

Bike
2006 ST1300
WOW, what a great looking bike!! I owned two Airheads, and loved both of them. I sometimes sigh when I see one go by, but I do like the lack of maintenance and comfort of my ST!

OP
OP
Chunk
Bike
2000 ST1100
WOW, what a great looking bike!! I owned two Airheads, and loved both of them. I sometimes sigh when I see one go by, but I do like the lack of maintenance and comfort of my ST!
Yep, i know the "sigh" thing, it always was happening to me, it's just so hard to find low mile 20 plus year old motorbikes. So when this one was offered i jumped at the offer. I've owned 4 or 5 airheads over the past 30 years or so and, for me is my all time favorite. They do nothing great, but do most things really good. The simplicity and confidence that i can repair most systems appeals to me. With the Japanese suspension and Brembo brakes, this is probably the best of the airheads IMO. But i have to add, the ST11 is still a sweet ride, when i ride it i think, what a bit**en bike, and it has a place in my garage as well. Chunk.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Nice looking bike. I have tried to buy air head BMW's 4 times since 1976, but every time I test ride one I go..nooope. Love to look at em,(The 77 burnt orange colored R100/7 is my fav... gorgeous!) don't care too much about riding them though. I have no idea what makes you guys that ride them like them so much? They shudder, they raise up and down with the gas like a carrousel, they are not particularly powerful, or torquey, the transmissions are clunky, the brakes aren't the best and they vibrate. Guess I'm just not a Beemer guy. Do like looking at them though and love to see one being ridden by. Beautiful motorcycles. I wish Honda would build one and fix all those issues lol.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I was watching a ‘what other bike would you love to have' thread in another forum.

The airhead Beemers are nostalgic for me because they drew my 16 year old eye in Cycle magazine back in the late 70's.

That said, I've never ridden a Beemer older than 2006. I liked them but had trouble with the vibration and what felt like a lack of sophistication in my opinion.

That said, I'd welcome a mid to late 70's R100RS in my garage. Likewise a 750 or 900 Ducati Supersport [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
07 ST1300
I love my 92 RS. The mystic is awesome Chunk! How many miles? Have those jugs been off? Seems a lot of sealant at the base.
My RS with about 65000. Airheads are a different motorcycle experience for sure. More like driving a very handsome freight train. Mine LOVES to go fast.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I love my 92 RS. The mystic is awesome Chunk! How many miles? Have those jugs been off? Seems a lot of sealant at the base.
My RS with about 65000. Airheads are a different motorcycle experience for sure. More like driving a very handsome freight train. Mine LOVES to go fast.
Thanks Jim , that's a sweet ride!
If I get the chance I might have to give one a try.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
beautiful RS! The last one I had was an 88 R100RS in pearl white. Now talk about heat, the fairing worked so well that I could ride to work on midnight shifts wearing just a t-shirt!
The little weenie bags inside the fairing helped block some of it. I also had the older style saddlebags.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Mystic is an interesting airhead with its mix of non traditional styling elements and paralever suspension. The faithful were conflicted IIRC. Enjoy it!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Always wanted to ask about the yellow lines across the headlight.
Do they have a functional purpose?

You probably have them on the rear window of your car or SUV :think1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Always wanted to ask about the yellow lines across the headlight.
Do they have a functional purpose?

Purely a styling exercise of Hans Muth, according to him anyway.

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-german-motorcycles/1977-bmw-r100rs

This is kind of like N700X having half a Fit engine.

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
beautiful RS! The last one I had was an 88 R100RS in pearl white. Now talk about heat, the fairing worked so well that I could ride to work on midnight shifts wearing just a t-shirt!
The little weenie bags inside the fairing helped block some of it. I also had the older style saddlebags.
Ya the RS fairing is heaven in the cold and hell in the hot. The lowers come off easy enough but leave it looking funky.
Those lines in the headlight are just there to give people something to talk about! I rode to the 40th RS anniversary and there was plenty of talk about it.
I have LED headlight and tail light which allows the anemic charging system to put up with my heated gear. I ride in the lower 30's daily to work this time of year and the heat is a comfort to my old body. The fairing does keep you warm down to your toes though.
I would LOVE to take that red mystic for a ride. Sometimes I want a naked bike, but I know I would freeze my rump off.
SORRY FOR THE HIJACK MATE!..my bike 3rd from left. I do enjoy these airheads. For no good reason I can think off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom