Gold Wing Pics from the International Motorcycle Show's or other discoveries?

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
How about some good pics of the new Gold Wing or any other new bikes that might be of interest on the forum.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
How about some good pics of the new Gold Wing or any other new bikes that might be of interest on the forum.
Sure, but good luck with the Goldwing, it will be mobbed! You'll be lucky to be able to get a turn to sit on it! :eek:4:

Unless they have one on a pedestal! :D

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Yup, it was definitely a mug scene. From what I can tell, in spite of having four (or was it 5?) different goldwings on display, it was by far the largest crowd at the show. A close second was the V4 Panagale i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I sat on a GWT and it was a perfect fit! And they had a root beer colored Wing that was a beauty. I hadn't seen that color before. It's the reason I went to the show but it's also a good thing I have no room for one.

But a surprise hit was Redondo Beach CA PD. They're replacing their ST1300Ps as they mileage out with CRF1000Ps.

Honda donated two CRF1000L DCT Africa Twins to Redondo PD which were converted (with the help of Roland Sands) to CRF1000P kit. They are awesome! The emergency lights siren speaker and other bits look factory. They are seamlessly integrated. It's a work of art.

All emergency lighting is LED as would be expected and can can be programed for different uses. Two of the front emergency light function as turn signals when in non-emergency mode. Once a vehicle is stopped the front emergency lights switch white takedown lights.

There's also a rifle rack at the rear in some sort of lock. The bike is equipped with a ballistic blanket which can be deployed as a shield.

It doesn't have or get a radio pack. RPD will use BT comms from their helmets to the Handi-Talkies with a PTT switch on the bars. There are repeaters throughout the city so a radio pack isn't needed for them.

RPD has six motors. A CRF1000P will go into service Monday with the second to follow shortly. Then they will replace the STs as each one hits the PD service limit. The bikes will be used for full enforcement duties on
and off road.

RPD has already received many inquires from other nearby departments wanting details. I don't know that Honda would/will donate any more bikes but I bet we'll see a factory CRF1000P. Some departments are using both street and dual sport bikes for enforcement. The ATP could be a much better solution.

The Wing and the ATP were the highlights for me but there were a lot of other bikes and trikes and accessories and things to gawk at in disbelief. I could only go one day but it was well worthwhile for me.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The mob scene wasn't there at 6:30 or so. My wife and I got to sit on the Blue tour with the deluxe seat. She approved of the comfort level, if not necessarily the purchase. I also sat on the red DCT Tour they had on a platform, with the dash powered up. I got a few cellphone pics that I may upload later - nothing spectacular.

Looks like the side fairing in front of the radiator scoops cool air in to mix with the radiator output. Perhaps this bike will be cooler to the rider than the ST1300.

Edit:
Chatted up a guy from Huntington Beach Honda (a local Powerhouse dealer that is supposed to be the biggest ST dealer). They have 7 bikes coming in with their first allocation, and 4 deposits/allocations already.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
I got to the show at 5.00pm on Saturday, got to the Honda stand about 6.00pm, no crowds. Sat on the same blue tourer as ST_Jim. Nice bike, smaller than my current 2004 wing. Ended up talking with Rick Arnoldo owner of Wingstuff.com. He told me he's ordered the exact same blue tourer and hoping for January delivery. He's already got a list of accessories ready for it. Gave me his card and invited me to come and visit Wingstuff in San Clemente. Nice fella. Oh and my wife liked the new wing and the Africa Twin on display, and Christmas is just around the corner....

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
One thing I noticed about the blue bike - I suspect the lower air deflectors will interfere with putting legs on highway pegs.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
The mob scene wasn't there at 6:30 or so. My wife and I got to sit on the Blue tour with the deluxe seat. She approved of the comfort level, if not necessarily the purchase. I also sat on the red DCT Tour they had on a platform, with the dash powered up. I got a few cellphone pics that I may upload later - nothing spectacular.

Looks like the side fairing in front of the radiator scoops cool air in to mix with the radiator output. Perhaps this bike will be cooler to the rider than the ST1300.

Edit:
Chatted up a guy from Huntington Beach Honda (a local Powerhouse dealer that is supposed to be the biggest ST dealer). They have 7 bikes coming in with their first allocation, and 4 deposits/allocations already.
How was it comfort wise as far as sitting on it? Seating position similar to ST with risers? Did knee touch anywhere? Controls accessibility?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was able to get up close, but not personal with the Goldwings! I did manage to get a picture of Jeff sitting on one of them with a big smile on his face! It's in my camera, so I'm not sure how soon I can pull those pictures out. My sons were in a bit of a hurry for getting in, looking quickly and leaving... I just might go by myself next year, so I can look a little harder! :eek:4:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
How was it comfort wise as far as sitting on it? Seating position similar to ST with risers? Did knee touch anywhere? Controls accessibility?
No knee touching and the bars seemed to be the same height as my ST bars with a Helibar Gen III riser. Reach was good too in that I didn't have to stretch.

The seat felt good but that really needs miles on the road to know for sure. My 'Wing buddy liked it. Wing Buddy has 60,000mi+ on his '05 with many long trips and hours in the saddle and has never felt the need to upgrade his factory seat.

The dash initially 'seemed' a little busy but you should be easily able adjust to see whatever key info you need at a glance.

I don't recall now but the footpads might have been a little more forward than those on the ST and I'd prefer that. They don't have to be forward as on some cruisers. I put floorboard on my GL1000 and really liked the positioning.

Though highly unlikely to buy one I look forward to getting more seat time on one next year and maybe even getting a demo ride. A factory rep said every Honda dealer will have the opportunity to 'get' (buy??) a demo Wing. I didn't ask if it would be a GW or GWT. I hope it will be a DCT.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Got to meet up with SupraSabre, gee trying to meet up with anyone there is not easy, big crowd. especially around the only four "pre-production" Goldwings that are in the USA at the moment. I eventually got to sit on one and it felt like I was on my ST1300 except that the seat was way better. Like a lower RDL that I can easily flat foot my feet. I am 5' 11".

I later got to talk to the dealer guy who pointed out a Honda corporate guy, who pointed out his boss. (working the ladder...). The first question I asked of each was where is the new ST1300. Each gave the "do not know" answer. So I went into the idea that the Rebel has a big brother 500/ little brother 300 and that the Goldwing needs to do the same. 1800 / 1200 (V4). Use the same Goldwing platform, do not change anything, just pull out the flat six and slide in the V4. Manufacturing loves common parts. If they made a DCT 1200 V4 Goldwing I would buy it over the 1800 for my needs and riding style. They do not have to redesign the ST1300 just put our motor into the Goldwing platform. One size does not fit all..... you can buy cars and get the V8 or the V6 motor. Give us the smaller motor option and you will sell even more Goldwings..... I told them to give this feed back to Honda.

I did my best. So at the next show you can reiterate the same idea...

Maybe we can all send Honda a post card that says

The new 2018 Goldwing is fantastic!
Please, put in the 1200 V4 as another option!
Thank you!

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #

I sat on both the Red Tour DCT with standard saddle, and the Blue Tour with the optional saddle. Neither really made an impression on me - which I guess is a good thing. Narrower and more curved around the thighs than on my ST1300 with Sargent saddle (an improvement, as the Sargent tends to cut in a little). I do recall that the optional seat had a little more support in the lower back sacrum area. I didn't sit on the brown wing with the optional backrest - if I thought about it I would have. I've heard comments on GL1800 boards that the backrest isn't thick enough (far enough forward) to provide support.

More knee room than the ST1300. On the 1300 my knees are close to the cowling - no such issue on the Wing. Several inches of clearance. Bar position is a little closer than on my 1300 with MCL gen 1 risers. Very comfortable position. Not quite as much elbows in the gut as I recall with the earlier GL180, but then I haven't sat on one lately. Perhaps the pegs are slightly more forward than the 1300. The lower air deflectors on the Blue Tour seem like they'll cut into the side of your leg if you have highway pegs installed (but as no one has pegs yet I'm guessing).

I *think* the fairing side scoops grab cool air to mix with the radiator output to control temps. And of course with the side radiators the center of the cockpit should stay cooler than the 1300. Perhaps this is wishful thinking, as it's an area I'm hoping is better than on the ST.

Luggage is not as useful as the ST1300. The saddlebags have an odd interior shape, with a small entry door. The weatherstripping is out in the open inviting damage. A disappointment. Trunk is OK, optional rack is too small to be useful. With the rack and LED light it'll be hard to get a rag under it to clean.

I didn't try to pair my phone with the Bluetooth. I think I wouldn't do a full-blown headset until more compatibility reports come in. Maybe just get a little $20 Bluetooth receiver to plug my Etymotic earbuds into first.

Handlebar switches are definitely busy(maybe even confusing?). Be interesting to see how they feel and operate with gloves on, especially heavy gloves. Only controls off the handlebars are the parking brake for the DCT on the left, and the gas door release on the right.

Preload is electronically adjustable separately, but damping is tied in with the throttle riding modes. Remains to be seen what happens if one changes to a heavier spring. I hear Traxxion will be looking into it pretty fast.

Acce$$orie$ are expen$ive. But I'm sure the aftermarket will kick in on fog/driving lights, air deflectors, etc.

I'm really liking it so far - think of it as an ST1800 (gotta get some decals made up!) The luggage is perhaps my biggest disappointment, but I'm pretty sure I could deal with it. I tend to pack too much anyway. I haven't quite decided whether to jump in as an early adopter or wait a year until reports are in (and any initial recalls are over!)

My wife has always wanted a Wing, and the tech on the 2018 appeals to me more than the 2017 and earlier. She was comfortable once she managed to get on (bum left knee acting up so she mounted from the right).

Too bad I don't like my local Honda dealer. :D

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Thanks for the feedback. This bike sounds real good and from what I have observed in videos even more interesting. A test ride is in order and I will make a list of all the comforts and conveniences to check against on that test ride. I plan on going to the Cleveland show in the end of January, weather permitting. I will leave later in the day to make sure I am there around 6 or so from your feedback so I can get some time on a couple of them.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
If the peg position is anywhere close to the earlier models they are definitely farther forward than the ST pegs, by about 6+ inches or there about. The GW pegs are very close to the mid peg position on my current CTX. One of the reasons I've always liked the Gold Wings seating ergos as well as what drew me to the CTX1300. That brown/rootbeer colored CTX1800 really looks nice :grin:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
A couple of pics from the Calgary show, lots of buzz and opportunities to swing a leg over20180105_184707.jpg 20180105_184731.jpg 20180105_184743.jpg

Top Bottom