Gas Line & Brake Line Replacement

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have a 2007 ST1300 w/ 40k and besides the obvious answer to replace as needed, when does replacing the rubber bits on this bike become an issue, I would think after 10 years in florida heat would be quite the test. or are these rubber lines built to last 20 years or more?

7/16/20...
i am replacing air filter,spark plugs, coolant, oil/filter, bleeding brakes and clutch and attempting valve inspect but want to post some pics from under the seat looking at gas lines, i plan on taking new one in the sunshine tomorrow to get better resolution, rubber looks good and not cracked on all 3 hoses but the connections have rust, is it better to leave this alone?, I also took a pic of plug that came out of #2 , replacing with same type, looked at brake line, look good but will upload some pics tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Twenty one years and 112,000 km on my '96 1100 and all coolant hoses, hydraulic lines and gas lines are still original. Planning to go into the engine after next summer to replace the coolant hoses though.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
MarkJ....look for cracks around the hose clamps and corrosion formed at the end of the hose, just beyond the clamp. Either condition will indicate a seep or impending leak. Once you see one of these conditions, you can be relatively sure that the hoses in under the throttle bodies are due replacement also. Look as carefully as you can with the aid of a flashlight.
My previous rides were 1978 GL1000's that I refurbished starting in 1996. I reused most of the hoses as they were still pliable I did change out one pump outlet hose as it looked weathered. Rode my first rebuild until July 2015 and put 74000 miles on it myself. The others, I didn't ride much. But...no leaks, no deterioration after 37 years.
Apparently 'rubber' formulation has improved much since my 1962 MGA. Probably better since 1978.
It may be worth the peace of mind for you to replace the hoses as you are working in the neighourhood. Your call.

Bike
R1200rt
thank you, i'm worried about the gas & brake lines and was planning on replacing all just for piece of mind.
As long as the brake lines are not brittle and cracked up they will be fine. A the fuel hoses are hi pressure fuel hose If they are pliable and not cracked they are good. I have not read any posts of fuel lines or brake lines failing. They built pretty tough.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
i am replacing air filter,spark plugs, coolant, oil/filter, bleeding brakes and clutch and attempting valve inspect but want to post some pics from under the seat looking at gas lines, i plan on taking new one in the sunshine tomorrow to get better resolution, rubber looks good and not cracked on all 3 hoses but the connections have rust, is it better to leave this alone?, I also took a pic of plug that came out of #2 , replacing with same type, looked at brake line, look good but will upload some pics tomorrow.

Top Bottom