GPS tracker for your vehicles

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I got this link today and thought is would be good to share since I have seen posts in the past about potential MC theft. All I know is what is in the add but it might lend a bit of comfort to find your missing vehicle.

I also think that this can be used as a tracker when on trips and such so those that need to know can find you. And many other uses.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-GPS/Linxup/300-AT3-S.html?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=etrailer&utm_content=171120-Linxup-feat

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
An interesting device. It like Spot and other devices probably needs a service so you can find/follow it. I didn't see any pricing.

The reliability of the service is the big question. How well does it work and what's the cost. I didn't see any mention but didn't look closely.

I'm not very familiar with the LoJack for motorcycles (or LoJack at all for that matter). I think at one time is was a single purchase and no monthly fees. (You probably can't do casual tracking though.) And now you may not be able to get it for your bike but they still support it.

There is the mantra that nobody steals ST and anti-theft devices are for other bikes. I don't agree but am not keen on subscribing to a service. But it's good to have options.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Most of them don't state the service cost up front...... found one on Amazon that was $15/month. I'm guessing it depends on your phone's data plan cost too.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Yeah, that's rather pricey service. I wonder how quick/easy/live the tracking data is to Police while trying to find the bike, and I also wonder what level of search the Police would maintain, for how long??

*I* am unlikely to keep a bike that was stolen and recovered.

If someone stole my bike while I was on a ride, I believe it is highly unlikely it would be recovered within minutes even with a tracker. If 'hours' have elapsed, I'd have to end my trip and find a way home.

If someone stole it, they're likely to:
1) be desperate, needing a getaway vehicle without any care about it,
2) thrash it for a joy ride for an hour or two and then dump it,
or
3) take it directly to a chop shop.

#1 and #2 are odd...the thief would have to have a key or have hotwired it to ride it away. But even if they've your key, what is damaged on the bike (like the drivetrain or clutch)? Perhaps repairable and insured, but *I* don't have a bike so I can do maintenance & repairs (nor do I trust dealer repairs--BTDT). Depending on circumstances of it's recovery and condition, I'd be wondering about it's long term reliability. If recovered and in descent shape, I'd likely sell it. (But that's just me.)

#3 means it was hauled away, likely without much care. Thinking about our type of bikes, they're too reliable and too uncommon, so do theft rings target STs (or RTs or FJRs or ...)?

In short, *I* wouldn't bother with a tracker on a bike (especially given those monthly service rates). Perhaps I could rationalize it if the up-front device cost was reasonable and included lifetime tracking at no added cost.
:shrug1:

Top Bottom