Two Questions: Why is This? Should This Be?

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
While and since getting my new to me '94 ST1100 in working order and on the road, I've begun to notice minute things that create questions or concerns. The larger issues I have been able to handle and either correct or accept as a result of the information available here, but not always the case with the smaller ones. If I have missed the information and repeated past questions, please forgive me.

So, on to my first concern. Why doesn't my handlebar shroud seem to fit correctly? The seams at the front on either side of the ignition don't line up.

IMG_8086.jpgIMG_8087.jpg

Second. Is there something missing here? It is of the backside of the saddlebag. I ask, because I noticed two small holes, which cause me concerns regarding water entering the bags. (Pictures ended up upside down after uploading them, sorry).

IMG_8088.jpgIMG_8089.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
First, the cover appears to have been modified (cut, etc.), probably because risers were added.
I'll have to check my bags, but I was thinking there are rubber 'stoppers' that goes in those holes, but I could be wrong.
I'll have to wait until I get home this evening from work.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Re the bar shroud - they should all fit seamlessly - Honda like you might say - so someone has done something to alter something under there. A wider view of the entire shroud and bars might be helpful.

On the holes in the panniers. I believe, that because they seal so well when closed, that those were put in as air vents to balance air pressure inside and out. You could seal them with a spot of clear silicone sealant if you are concerned about water ingress, as I did on mine, without any issues.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Your handlebar shroud is mounted incorrectly. If you look at your last photo, just to the left of the forward screw is a plastic protrusion visible in the gap. That protrusion/pin snaps into corresponding slot in the other pieces.....also underneath where it' difficult to see. There is a pin on both sides of the center piece and a matching slot on both handlebar covers. I think that the mounting sequence is center shroud, one handlebar cover, other handlebar cover. If you remove the center shroud by itself, you have to make sure to install it in a rocking motion...hooking the pins into both handlebar covers, then pivoting it down into position. Helps if the front screw/mount bracket is very loose until the plastic is all snapped into place.

Can't comment on the holes in your saddlebags. My 1991 has no holes. I have an acquaintance who carries a small cooler in his ST1300 saddlebag to keep his beer cool. Cooler case has a hole to drain ice melt and has a hole in the low spot of the hard plastic to drain water out of the saddlebag. Priorities.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Take the handlebar pieces off and assemble them, carefully noting how they connect to each other. Then reinstall.

The panniers have holes to equalize air pressure. Years ago an ST-rider reported riding to altitude in Colorado and then not being able to open his panniers when he got back down. I’ve ridden in many frog-stranglers over 23 years and 190K and never got a drop of water inside. FWIW
John

Last edited:

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just checked my bags on my '02, they have the same holes. As others have said, they are for pressure equalization and water really can't get in there - unless you drive into water that high!! :eek:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just checked my bags on my '02, they have the same holes. As others have said, they are for pressure equalization and water really can't get in there - unless you drive into water that high!! :eek:
Thanks. I won't bother to check mine then! I couldn't remember, but then that happens with greater frequency these days ... ;-)

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The panniers have holes to equalize air pressure. Years ago an ST-rider reported riding to altitude in Colorado and then not being able to open his panniers when he got back down. I’ve ridden in many frog-stranglers over 23 years and 190K and never got a drop of water inside. FWIW
John
That may have been me that happened to at WeSTOC in Durango. I'd RTV'd the holes closed thinking water might get it there. Evidently when I rode at higher altitude the bags "burped" the lower altitude pressure out and when I descended, a partial vacuum was formed in the bag. It took both Whit Brown and I pulling hard at the edges of the bag lid to force it open, upon which a large "whoosh" was heard!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
That may have been me that happened to at WeSTOC in Durango. I'd RTV'd the holes closed thinking water might get it there. Evidently when I rode at higher altitude the bags "burped" the lower altitude pressure out and when I descended, a partial vacuum was formed in the bag. It took both Whit Brown and I pulling hard at the edges of the bag lid to force it open, upon which a large "whoosh" was heard!
Knowing this could be a potential problem if the holes are sealed is good, because all it would take to solve is to run a nail, or some other such pointed object, through the sealant to equalize pressure.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Knowing this could be a potential problem if the holes are sealed is good, because all it would take to solve is to run a nail, or some other such pointed object, through the sealant to equalize pressure.
John probably keeps his spare nails and ice pick inside the panniers.

OP
OP
Loki WRX YZF
Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks, all!

The concern about the holes will no longer be a concern, all though I did find about an ounce of water in my bag after it was parked out in the rain while I was at work. I believe that was the result of an old gasket that has a weak spot...

I'll also see what I can do about the shroud. I did assemble them with no problem before ever putting them on the bars, and they seemed fine. I also didn't notice any augmentation to them, but I'll check again. I'll also post some additional photos later of how they connect when they are off.

OP
OP
Loki WRX YZF
Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
I just saw that I forgot to post photos of this result. Well, I don't have any photos handy, but I was able to get it to line up properly. I thing the problem was at the seam at the back wasn't properly aligned, throwing the rest off. Also, one of the metal arms on the left side was slightly bent. Once I got those issues addressed, all was well.

Thanks for the advice and assistance!

Top Bottom