Elec glitch if engine stalls the trip odom clears?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hello all,
Bike is a 2006 ST1300 and is new to me as of a couple of weeks ago. The bike has aftermarket heated grips, cig lighter/12vlt outlet installed in right side glovebox. It also has a rheostat installed on left fairing (near shin) that i am not sure what it does. So that is the background..
What happened is i fired up the bike after a short ride so that i could put it in the garage when i shifted to 1st and it stalled as i forgot to lift the side stand.
When this stalled and i restarted i noticed that the trip odometer and avg mpg values were reset back to null. This is the 2nd time it has done this.
I know the first thing to do to resolve the issue is to not forget the side stand...but from there i am not sure where to go next.
I think i will need to investigate that rheostat further during the winter season. The dealer spoke to the prior owner who indicated it had been disconnected by the first owner. Thats all i've got.
Typed this on the phone so it was tough to see it all...apologies if this is too disjointed.
Thank you.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Sounds like your battery is going south. Resetting of the trip odometer and MPG values usually indicates a battery which is failing.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST1300
Sounds like your battery is going south. Resetting of the trip odometer and MPG values usually indicates a battery which is failing.
Sorry as i should have indicated that the batt was fully charged. I had put on the trickle the day before just to check and instantly went to the 80% indicator and was blinking full not much later.
That being said....i dont know the age of the battery so that could certainly be an issue. I will check it for markings when i try to hunt down what that knob is connected to.
Thank you.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
You might try cleaning the terminals and cables on the battery. I just put a battery in my '06, when it had the same symptoms as yours. The new battery fixed everything. It was time, the old battery lasted 6 years.

Ride Safe
John

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You should try a load test on the battery places like auto zone will do them for you if you can't do it yourself.

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
Here is a good video on how to check your battery, if you are unsure how to do it. My battery was showing a full charge after leaving it on a tender, but would shortly drain when applying a load (starting). It was dropping below 9.6 volts, but with a new battery everything works fine.

Scott

CLICK HERE

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Mine did the same thing when my battery was going out.
I bought a Motcross battery made by Yuasa. Same battery as the Yuasa YTZ14S. Made on the exact same line. $108.00 instead of $180.00.
I replaced my second battery after 10 years because I was taking a 4,500 mile trip out west. I didn’t want to do the trip on a battery that was in my bike 5 years. And I don’t know how old it was when I put I in.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have no recommendation on a battery other than to consider replacing it. A battery can test 12V or better without a load but have the cranking capacity of a AA cell. Under load the voltage drops so low that it's almost as though the battery is momentarily disconnected. The trip odometer clears and/or the clock resets.

There could be other causes— maybe bad connections at either end of either cable or a loose connection that interrupts electron flow when the engine shakes the bike or something really bizarre.

But the battery would be my starting point especially if you could start the bike by jumping the battery with it in place. But a DMM should tell you all you need to know if the battery is going south. If you don't have a DMM a cheapie from Harbor Freight would do the job.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks all for the replies. I hope to check out the battery this weekend.
The funny thing is i just replaced the battery late summer on my wife's ST3 and it didn't occur to me that it could be the same issue on my Honda.
My Monster is a 2002 and i am only on the 2nd battery and still going strong (then again that doesn't take much to fire it up)

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST1300
Checked the battery connections...all tight.
Looks like time to shop batteries.
Also found that the rheostat isnt hooked up to anything. Looks like it had been used for a heated jacket or vest.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Looks like time to shop batteries.
If you don't already have one an inexpensive digital multi-meter wouldn't be a bad idea either. Amazon or Harbor Freight would do. It doesn't have to be a Fluke 77 or Simpson 260 (but I wouldn't mind having the VOM).

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Consider an AGM battery. They do a better job cranking the engine and are sealed. Not expensive like a lithium.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I don't really think anyone would consider anything less than an AGM battery for the ST1300 because of the near-inaccessibility to the battery.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Did the newer ST1300's come with a AGM battery ?
All 1300s come with AGM batteries. AGM represents how the electrolyte is stored (Absorbed in a fiberGlass Mat) and is the same lead-acid chemistry as flooded batteries.

--Mark

Top Bottom