Front fork oil

Bike
ST1300
Thinking Of changing it on mine. Having never done this before,do the forks have to get removed? Also is there an upgraded oil for a slightly stiffer feel?

Bike
92 ST1100
Thinking Of changing it on mine. Having never done this before,do the forks have to get removed? Also is there an upgraded oil for a slightly stiffer feel?
Forks removed, taken apart and cleaned with new clean solvent is best option. Oil viscosity increased for a stiffer feel does help. 10wt. Silcolene was my choice.

As long as you're in there, think about replacing that stock spring with a stiffer one from Sonic or Race-Tec...

Bike
2010 ST1300
As long as we are spending your money, consider Gold Valves. dduelin has reported in other threads that he has gotten excellent handling by changing the viscosity of the fork oil using the original valving. I changed mine for Gold Valves this summer and immediately noticed increased compliance - the forks soak up the bumps and make them seem like they have been stretched out compared to the OEM valves. Pay attention to sag and adjust that by changing the spacers for PVC tailpiece tubing in the new length.

OP
OP
Rocky ST
Bike
ST1300
. I changed mine for Gold Valves this summer and immediately noticed increased compliance - the forks soak up the bumps and make them seem like they have been stretched out compared to the OEM valves.
Where can the gold valves be purchased in the UK do you know?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Where can the gold valves be purchased in the UK do you know?
I'm sorry, I don't know. I bought them from Race Tech (racetech.com) for my 1300. I think they have cartridge style valves for the 1100 as well. You will have to check their website.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Dollar for dollar your best value is to remove forks, flush, refill with 7.5 or 10 weight fork oil and perhaps adjust sag by tweaking spacers.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Shop just did mine and used 20 wt fork oil. They are plenty stiff lol. Every bump goes straight to your shoulders and it feels like I have anti-dive when braking. I complained, they apologized, and I'm taking it back in and they are replacing the 20 wt with 7.5 wt.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
May I suggest that before one goes through the effort of change to a different fork oil weight, one should do a bit of technical reading to better understand how the forks of a motorcycle works. Maybe download this book and do a bit of reading. (see link below) I have a printed copy for several years and have found it useful. Although it is very technical. You will not sit down in an evening and read and understand it, well at least I can't.

http://v4musclebike.com/articles/RACETECH-SUSPENSION-BIBLE.pdf

Top Bottom