Is the St1100 a good all-arounder?

I am looking to find a replacement for my trusty Honda Helix. I am looking for a bike that I can commute to work on, run errands with, and occasionally go on one or two day trips. It needs to be smooth, quiet, and have good weather protection. Also low speed handling needs to be good as I am sometimes in stop and go traffic. And of course it has to be reliable. Space and other considerations only allow me to have one bike. Is the ST1100 a good option for me. I have been looking at a Honda Silverwing 600 scooter but there is just something about that St.....

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I do all of those things almost everyday with my ST1100. I think it's a great bike, but it's no spring chicken. I think the ST1300 would work well too. Most bikes will do all of those things well, except the touring part. Only a few bikes can comfortably do it all. That being said, for just running around (no touring, no 2 up) I'd go with a smaller, lighter bike.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
1300 may be a little hot in the summer. If you are tall and strong, the 1100 will work for stop and go traffic. I am neither so I had mine lowered.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I ride my ST1300 pretty much as you intend to do and it's great.
Once moving its weight is not an issue.
Lots of storage plus comfortable when we are two-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
VStrom 650
If you decide on an ST1100 go for a post 96 and ABS is up to you.
It does sound as though it may be too much bike for your needs, a newer Silverwing sounds a good option too.
I personally have no issues with the 1100 and spend weeks at a time riding it in all environments. It can be warm if you are lucky to live somewhere where the ambients are 80 plus, but I think most enclosed bikes are much of a muchness.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I am looking to find a replacement for my trusty Honda Helix. I am looking for a bike that I can commute to work on, run errands with, and occasionally go on one or two day trips. It needs to be smooth, quiet, and have good weather protection. Also low speed handling needs to be good as I am sometimes in stop and go traffic. And of course it has to be reliable. Space and other considerations only allow me to have one bike. Is the ST1100 a good option for me. I have been looking at a Honda Silverwing 600 scooter but there is just something about that St.....
going from a scooter to a 700+ lb bike is going to be quite an adjustment. Plus, its a 20+ year old bike, so maintenance is an issue if you aren't planning on doing it yourself. Sounds like a smaller, lighter bike would serve your needs a bit better, but if the ST looks like what you want, go for it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I really love my 1300, and, as said above, once in motion, the weight drops away. I'm 5'7, and if I'm honest about the bike, it's too big for me - too heavy, too large a turning radius, cog is too high. I don't ride my bike in the city - stop and go is no fun, but hit the twisties and its all joy. If you are a big guy, the 1100 or 1300 will do it all, but the difference between your helix and this bike is significant. I'd consider a Burgman (Suzuki) or a newer Honda.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The ST1100 and ST1300 (I've had both) can do everything you want, and more. They're also good for long distance touring, solo or two-up. Being sport touring bikes, they're a bit heavier than what you could get by with for your stated purposes. If you don't plan on touring, you might look at a lighter, more nimble bike. A KLR650, properly outfitted (yes, I have one of those, too) will do everything you've mentioned. You might want to consider a 650 Suzuki V-Strom, or Honda NT700. You could do longer trips on either. If you're attracted to the ST, it'll work fine for you. Motorcycles don't always have to make sense. (If we were being totally rational, we'd probably just buy a bus pass...)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I am looking for a bike that I can
commute to work on,
run errands with
go on one or two day trips.
It needs to be smooth,
quiet
good weather protection.
low speed handling needs to be good in stop and go traffic.

I do all of those things almost everyday with my ST1100. I think it’s a great bike, but it’s no spring chicken. I think the ST1300 would work well too. Most bikes will do all of those things well, except the touring part. Only a few bikes can comfortably do it all. That being said, for just running around (no touring, no 2 up) I’d go with a smaller, lighter bike.
This ^. The 1100 or just about any bike in that category is a big jump in weight and handling from a Helix. Not knowing your riding experience both or either could be a significant factor. Does the Helix have a hydraulic clutch? If not that may take some acclimation on a bigger bike with one especially in stop and go traffic. For quick errands and around town you'd feel the weight at low speed. Not insurmountable at all but not a Helix.

For only occasional one or two day trips I agree a lighter bike would probably make you happier. But if you're an accomplished rider and can do a decent amount of wrenching the 1100 might be for you. I don't know about the weight but a 1300 might be a touch more nimble in traffic. But I'd still go for a lighter bike.

OP
OP
I dont know if this helps or not, but I am 58 years old and weigh 200 lbs and I am 6 foot 1 inch with a 34 inch inseam. I know it is a big jump from a Helix and I am not at all intimidated by learning to operate a new vehicle. I am a former road cyclist, and now mountain bike. I driven all kinds of vehicles, large and small for a large overnight delivery company. My Helix is my daily driver and I am seeking something with more power that I can also ride two-up with my wife. Still on the St1100/Silverwing fence here. The other bikes mentioned are out for me because of the insufficient weather protection. Thanks everyone for the input!

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
You should be fine with a 34 inch inseam. Just remember to look ahead, not the instrument panel, when you put your feet down to stop. I think my negative feelings towards the ST were formed when I didn't know that rule and dropped it several times.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have three ST1100s and ride them pretty much everyday to work, in and out of traffic, run errands on them, haul stuff, etc.
If you look at the ST1100, you want a 96 or later ABSII model as the brakes (not the ABS) are much, much better than the standard plus you get the 40 amp alternator on 96 models and later.

Bike
R1200rt
versys 650 lt..... v-strom 650..... nc700x.. all light weight do it all type bikes. st is considered more touring. Those on this site who have had both conceder 650/700 to be the better all round bike. The versys and strom have better wind protection

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
You wont have a problem at all. I am 6'4" with 34" inside leg. I bought the ST1100 after a 20 year gap, and my orevious two motorcycles both had sidecars. Prior to that, my largest solo bike had been a single cylinder 175cc BSA bantam. I have always cycled a lot.

So to say that i was nervous when i bought my first 1100 would be an understatement. I reckoned that i would need a couple of weeks to get used to the weight, the feel, the brakes,the balance and the massive amount of torque.

I spent about an hour riding up and down and getting used to our unmade, gravelled road. And then my partner and I took it out for a ride. Admittedly, i was keeping my distance and getting used to it, but we wre both happy and felt at ease with it. I rode it to work every day, in all weathers. We went touring and camping (and still do), and i'd use it for short trips - any excuse to go out with it really.

In those early days, id have the bike serviced by the dealer, and they would lend me a run-around for the day. Usually a Honda 500. I dont remember which model. That felt weird. Really small and very exposed in comparison. And traffic behaved very differently - as if i wasn't there. You get used to that when cycling. This was the same, but i was riding at motorcycle speeds, not push bike speeds. Until then i had wondered whether riding the st1100 for short trips and commutes was overkill, and should i have a small runaround. That loan bike made my mind up.

Filtering is easier on the st1100 than it was on the loaned honda 500. You have more presence, and the vehicles will (mostly) move to make room. It was handy to note that if the wing mirrors can get through a gap, then there is no need to worry about panniers - they will follow.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You wont have a problem at all.
+1. The ST is still a lot of bike given your projected uses. But if you're comfortable with the somewhat overkill no reason not to get something in that category.

It still stands that the 1100s are long in the tooth and the last 1300 was 2012 though I bet a dealer can still find one as new old-stock. If you're handy and comfortable with maintenance you should be able to find a decent 1100 for not too much.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I own both...a Honda Helix, AND an ST1300. Strangely enough, I ride a Honda SIlverWing pretty often as well-my sister owns it, and I do most of the maintenance and farkling on it.

Not to obscure the waters even more, but , IMO, the Helix and the ST serve two different needs. I use the Helix when doing short hops around town, taking wife to work, etc. It is comfy for a short while ( I'm 6'1", 180 lbs, 34" inseam), but not for long jaunts, although I have done a few of those on it too. It is light, nimble, rides like a champ, and handles great. Tires and maintenance are cheap on it, and it is VERY easy to work on. It accelerates nicely, and few, if any, cars or trucks can keep up with it up to about 40 MPH. It's not that much fun to ride above 60MPH. I added a Bestem Top box, and it IS a beast of burden! With it's understressed engine, and Honda build quality, they can last for decades.

SilverWing: I have ridden this quite a bit, and it's a nice bike, BUT, just not that different than the Helix. Still feels like well, a scooter! Yes, they are scary fast for a scooter, and are comfy for distance , if the kinda "hunched over" position is comfy for you. My sister rides her "SWing" from Norfolk to Canton, GA every year, alone, and loves it. She does long stretches of slab as well as some back roads. I have ridden it for a coupla hours, and frankly, it's not my cuppa tea. It feels a bit underpowered, and well, just NOT that different from a Helix. The one thing I was a bit disappointed in was the gas mileage....the ST ( riding two up) consistently got better mileage then the SWing ( one up). It is comparable to an ST in terms of maintenance.

ST1300: Comfy for a trip down to the store, or a trip across country. If you're considering an 1100, think of moving up to a 1300. Not sure how prices go, but I doubt you save much on an 1100.

The move from a Helix to an ST is a BIG one. The Helix is a joy to get on for around town rides, due to it's low size, and easy slow speed maneuvers...the ST sucks in parking lots! A lot of the folks here are correct, perhaps an NC700 or an NT700, or a DL1000 OR 650 v-strom would be a better compromise.

Enjoy whatever you get!

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Although there are folks who do commute on the ST1100/1300, I would go with any of the much lighter Japanese standards for commuting.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I love my ST1300 which was my first bike after a 25 year hiatus from motorcycling. Yes, a bit intimidating at first but now, it’s fine (except in parking lots).

I have been commuting on it, but that really is overkill so I just bought a Suzuki SV650 which I will receive in March 2018 (after the winter). No real weather protection and perhaps not suitable for two-up, but much better for commuting and general booting around.

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Any way to keep the Helex for around town and use the ST for trips? That would be about the perfect combo. I still miss my Elite 250.

STOC #
Mr. Paul, it’s been stated but bears repeating. The 1100 is a HEAVY motorcycle, excelling on open roads at speed from 50 to 85. IMHO, not practical for in town errands etc.
When a 180 degree turn is necessary I look for empty parking lots providing ample space. At slow speeds, it can get darned hairy!
I agree w/ those recommending a smaller, more nimble machine.

Top Bottom