Is the St1100 a good all-arounder?

OP
OP
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice! Looks like I will be looking elsewhere for a bike more appropriate to my needs. Maybe a Honda NT700 or a Silverwing. Since I ride year-round, weather protection is a BIG consideration. Thanks again everyone!

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I think the ST, be it an 1100 or 1300, is a great bike, but it is a big top heavy one too and overkill for the day to day stuff. You'd love it on those short tours you want to take.

Take a look at the "Tip Over" counter of some who have commented and you'll see that lots of us experienced & long legged folk have lost the gravity challenge a few times.

Once the beaST gets a certain point past vertical it's gone and there's nothing to do but step aside and let it go. Honda knew how heavy this bike would be and very deliberately incorporated a tipover wing into its design. Most of us have grown to be very grateful for this.

Bike
'08 ST1300
--for Atlanta, GA traffic?????? wow..... you need a Honda NC750X I think, (with DCT?) ( for all the stop and go) ;
--for the rest of the beautiful state of Georgia, the ST11 or ST13 is fine...

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I use mine for practically everything, and I can easily maneuver it about. If you're doing a lot of city driving, this bike isn't economical. Moving 1000lbs with bike rider and stuff takes a toll on mileage. I drop from 54mpg on the highway to 36-40mpg for in town riding, and I try to be easy on the throttle from stop light to stop light. ;)

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I use mine for practically everything, and I can easily maneuver it about. If you're doing a lot of city driving, this bike isn't economical. Moving 1000lbs with bike rider and stuff takes a toll on mileage. I drop from 54mpg on the highway to 36-40mpg for in town riding, and I try to be easy on the throttle from stop light to stop light. ;)
I use mine for everything as well. Robert, your mileage 'range' is interesting. I'm at high 40's on a trip, and low 40's around town.

Also, have you converted Canadian 'numbers' (liters, imperial gallons and all that stuff) to U.S.?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I use mine for everything as well. Robert, your mileage 'range' is interesting. I'm at high 40's on a trip, and low 40's around town.

Also, have you converted Canadian 'numbers' (liters, imperial gallons and all that stuff) to U.S.?
I'm dealing with miles per imperial gallon. My lowest was 38.61 mpg my highest was 53.88mpg The lowest was in town driving, the highest was my second tank of highway driving on a particular day.

Bike
2000 ST1100
A lot of good advice here. I just bought a ST1100 after riding a honda V65 sabre for a few years. I had my sights set on a ST1300, but when I got a chance to ride it, I didn't like it. When I rode the ST1100, it just fit me better. The point I am making is that just sitting on various bikes you are interested in can help lead you in the direction of what works for you. I have found when I analyze everything, then go look, and ride a sample bike if possible, I may gravitate to something I didn't expect. I guess you learn better what you like. It is hard to do it all with one bike. The dilemma these days is finding a shop that has some of these bikes to try. I ended up checking out different models on craigslist, as there are not many ST's around my area. The newer bikes mentioned above you can probably find. Try as many out as you can.....you will be happier with what you get in the end.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
I love the ST1100, and for a while in the 1990's, had one as my sole vehicle. But it is not a perfect bike, and is a huge difference from your previous ride.

Since you are considering a Silverwing, and have previous scooter experience, if you a looking for a near perfect all-rounder, don't rule out the 650 Burgman. It has all the qualities, and capabilities you are looking for.

Top Bottom