New Goldwing Thoughts...

STOC #
Someone on the GL1800Riders forum who had a chance to see the 2018 Goldwing in person made the following comment:

"It looks a bit like a ST1300 that's had a Goldwing engine rammed into it !!"

In context, he meant it as a negative comment, but myself... I'm kinda lookin' forward to that.
Jim

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I saw I sat I want.

Not a 'Wing guy and no room for one but I want one. My 'Wing buddy will look for a demo ride. A Honda rep said every Honda dealer will be offered a demo bike.

I may try one out especially if there is a DCT demo. The GoldWing Tour has a slightly lower seat height that the ST1300 if I recall correctly.

The bike I sat on was not allowed off the center stand and I didn't think to try one on the Expo floor.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Someone on the GL1800Riders forum who had a chance to see the 2018 Goldwing in person made the following comment:

"It looks a bit like a ST1300 that's had a Goldwing engine rammed into it !!"

In context, he meant it as a negative comment, but myself... I'm kinda lookin' forward to that.
Jim
The pictures I've seen have led me to think of it as the long-overdue "ST1800". :)

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Well, if you recently bought a Goldwing and shelled out the money for that, then see this new one...it may or may not create some resentments. I personally like it and at 1st chance in taking one for a ride I will make a decision at that time.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ibike2havefun said:
The pictures I've seen have led me to think of it as the long-overdue "ST1800"
I told the Honda rep (who said in no uncertain terms that sport-touring was dropped in favor of adventure-touring) if I got a 'Wing it would get vinyl decals that said ST1800. He also said that the new 'Wing was aimed at a younger market.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I told the Honda rep (who said in no uncertain terms that sport-touring was dropped in favor of adventure-touring) if I got a 'Wing it would get vinyl decals that said ST1800. He also said that the new 'Wing was aimed at a younger market.
I looked and looked at the pictures, but , well, it doesn't look THAT different from the OLD 'Wing. Maybe the subtleties are lost on me.....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The angular styling cues are clearly aimed at a younger market in general but they're subtle enough compared to other Hondas so as not to drive away the traditional core user group (us old guys).

A frontal view of the old and new 'Wing show the 2018 to be noticeably if not very significantly trimmer than the current 'Wing.

I have the feeling that the reduction of storage space is also a nod to the younger rider who might not pack the kitchen sink for his ride.

At any rate a ride will be in order to render a meaningful play/pass conclusion.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
if you recently bought a Goldwing and shelled out the money for that
With all the positive banter about the new one, I suspect there'll be a lot of "old" ones on the used market in 2018. I bought a very slightly used (1375 km) 40th anniversary edition last winter, and although I hold the new one in high regard, I won't be shelling out another ten grand to trade anytime soon. The DCT will be a popular feature for sure; I do have that on my VFR.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
While I'd prefer an updated ST, I'll do a demo ride on the new Wing if one is offered. Only 133,000 miles on the ST1300, though, so there's no hurry to find a replacement. I'd consider buying a ST1300 in the crate and storing it. (I did see that a dealer in Dallas had a new 2012 for sale; they wanted a bit too much, and it was the slow black color...)

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I have the feeling that the reduction of storage space is also a nod to the younger rider who might not pack the kitchen sink for his ride.
Oh yeah. Ask a younger sportbike guy how long a trip he would go on and he'll say 2 days. They just can't imagine going on a multi-week trip. This is one area where Honda shouldn't have listened to their focus groups. They alienated both the ST and the GL crowds.

My ST1300 has more luggage space with the top box, and I still have a nice big tank for a tank bag. The GL1800 saddlebags also have an odd shape to them which makes them more difficult to use with large liners. And when the lids are open the weatherstripping is exposed, risking damage.

I was just about ready to plunk down a deposit on one, but as is I will probably wait and see how many other things they missed on. Like hot radiator air on the rider, and smaller passenger accommodations and small grab rails.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ST_Jim said:
They alienated both the ST and the GL crowds.
That's yet to be proven. And just like dropping the S-T category in favor of adventure bikes Honda may be looking for a bigger market than ST riders and the older riders of GWs.

CDNolddude said:
I would not be surprised if after a year or two, Honda brings back the 2017 and calls it the wing classic
Yeah don't count on that. But Honda could redesign the bags and/or trunk down the road if they felt it would be worth the effort.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
While I'd prefer an updated ST, I'll do a demo ride on the new Wing if one is offered. Only 133,000 miles on the ST1300, though, so there's no hurry to find a replacement. I'd consider buying a ST1300 in the crate and storing it. (I did see that a dealer in Dallas had a new 2012 for sale; they wanted a bit too much, and it was the slow black color...)[/QUOTE]

Here is one at Southern Powersports https://www.southernhonda.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=1190603&p=1&vc=sport touring&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

Last edited:
Bike
2006 Honda st1300
The new Goldwing is nice. The local dealer here has 2 in stock. I went to have a look a couple weeks back. The weight of a little over 900lbs is a little much though. It's price tag was a little too rich for my blood.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The new Goldwing is nice. The local dealer here has 2 in stock. I went to have a look a couple weeks back. The weight of a little over 900lbs is a little much though. It's price tag was a little too rich for my blood.
Wow! I didn't know there were dealers with stock already. They just barely made the show circuit.

Top Bottom