Need new tank bag for 1100

bikerdrumr

David
Bike
'15 BMW 1200RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
My current tank bag for the '99 1100 is a Moto Pac. The poor thing is at the end of it's life; zippers are going, it's faded to white, it's beginning to get holes, etc.. I'm very accustomed to having tank bag so it's time for a new one.

It's currently held on by 2 straps. One strap is around the steering head and attaches to 2 buckles on the front and the rear strap is attached to a pin just underneath the front of the seat. I can't get a magnetic bag because of the plastic tank cover.

My question is what bag do you have for your 1100? Are you happy with it? Is it still available?

Thanks!

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
My 1991 came with three large steel washers epoxied (neatly) underneath the tank shelter. I'm suspecting they were used to attach a magnetic tank bag. Just a tip that may open up some options for your search.

Bike
VStrom 650
This was discussed previously and someone was going to try the magnetic route. Don't think they got back to us. You could also fit a ring type fastener if you reinforced the underside a little.
I've got a Baglux, which is great but too big for day to day use. I like the way it fixes on and off in a jiffy but I don't like the way it sounds the horn every time I make a hard left turn!
Upt'North.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I had this eclipse Standard Tankbag on my GS850 for several years, and really liked it. Here's a Tourmaster that looks very similar to what I had. This website has dozens of tank bags from various manufacturers at a wide range of prices, so might be a good place to look. I have a Cortech bag for my ST1300 that I like, but it's magnetic.

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I ran an Eclipse bag for years until I wore it out, like you. Used a two point attachment like you at first, then mounted front straps to the upper radiator bolts for a three point system.

I now have a Wolfman waterproof bag [edit: similar to this one]: https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/enduro-tank-bag
Mine is yellow but it appears this model only comes in black now. I reversed the mounting direction so the bag tilts up at the front giving a nice view of the map. It’s a four point system so I can use the built-in tank bag wire bail attachments on the fuel tank. I added a cross strap to the front straps so they don’t fall down when the bag is pulled. Slick! And I don’t have to stop and put a cover on it if it starts to rain.

Recommended.

Edit: I just took a closer look at the link I posted... mine is the same style but doesn’t have a zipper on the lid (a feature I like - no zipper) and has wider sides on the bag top/lid/cap. Also, mine’s PVC... so.... this isn’t the same bag. Sorry. [searching for a currently available waterproof bag]

John

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
It's a four point system so I can use the built-in tank bag wire bail attachments on the fuel tank. I added a cross strap to the front straps so they don't fall down when the bag is pulled. Slick! And I don't have to stop and put a cover on it if it starts to rain.
John,

Have you ever noticed the wire bail attachment points located on each side of the steering stem? Like you, I use the fuel tank points for attaching my Skookum Pak (no longer made) at the rear and the two front straps attach at the steering head points. Honda was really putting the thinking caps on when they made those provisions for tank bags. I altered my straps by cutting off the quick connects and sewing velcro on two sides, so that the velcroed parts fold back onto each other to secure the strap through the wire bails. The narrow slot on the steering head wires would not accommodate putting the plastic quick connector through.

STOC #
I have used the four "wire bail" attachment points since new. To protect the paint on the top shelter I use those Turtle Fur seat belt strap comfort covers sold in the baby section at department stores. My Chase Harper is old, faded gray and is still tough as nails. No wonder they offer a lifetime warranty!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Have you ever noticed the wire bail attachment points located on each side of the steering stem?
Yes Forest, I know about those wire bails but found them too close together. The radiator bolts locations made for a much more stable mounting. I was given a sheet of heat resistant felt-like material with a sticky back. Cut to size, peel off the backing cover and put’m on. I have pieces on my tupperware wherever the tankbag straps touch.

It appears Wolfman no longer makes my bag. They make good stuff, just not as waterproof as mine. I did find a few with an internet search: GIVI GRT705-T, Lomo Watersport, Enduristan Sandstorm line, SW-MOTOTECH; and others from Ortlieb, Mosko, Held, Giant Loop, Kriega...

For total waterproofness, I saw a few folks had mounted Pelican or other hard cases to their tanks. Serious hard-core type guys, heh! I hated having to put the dang TIGHT cover on my old Eclipse bag!

John

Last edited:
STOC #
Really wish tank bags were made by Aerostich with the bright yellow waterproof interior. I use a 'Stich parcel courier bag for the tailbag. Big wide mouth velcro opening, bright interior, years of service and looks still looks new. I used that courier bag everyday commuting and it still works fine. That's what I would look for in a new tank bag.

Bike
2002 ST1100
I ran an Eclipse bag for years until I wore it out, like you. Used a two point attachment like you at first, then mounted front straps to the upper radiator bolts for a three point system.

I now have a Wolfman waterproof bag [edit: similar to this one]: https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/enduro-tank-bag
Mine is yellow but it appears this model only comes in black now. I reversed the mounting direction so the bag tilts up at the front giving a nice view of the map. It’s a four point system so I can use the built-in tank bag wire bail attachments on the fuel tank. I added a cross strap to the front straps so they don’t fall down when the bag is pulled. Slick! And I don’t have to stop and put a cover on it if it starts to rain.

Recommended.

Edit: I just took a closer look at the link I posted... mine is the same style but doesn’t have a zipper on the lid (a feature I like - no zipper) and has wider sides on the bag top/lid/cap. Also, mine’s PVC... so.... this isn’t the same bag. Sorry. [searching for a currently available waterproof bag]

John
John, this is my 1st bike without a metal tank, so this will be my 1st tank bag with straps. Question 1 about your tank bag ...did you do the installation just like the video. securing the back end to the frame? Sorry I couldn't picture your comment "I can use the built-in tank bag wire bail attachments on the fuel tank". Question 2 ... do your handle bars hit your tank bag? Thanks!

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I have this version of a Nelson Riggs Bag (linked to Amazon) on my ST1100. There are newer versions available. It's a good quality, good featured bag for the price. I have stock bars and it will hit the bars when fully turned in a parking lot, etc - but no issues on the road. I use it when touring or 2-up.

Here are a couple of links to my Instagram that show the bag on the bike N-R Bag on ST1100 - Maine 1 N-R Bag on ST1100 - Maine 2

Bike
2002 ST1100

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
John, this is my 1st bike without a metal tank, so this will be my 1st tank bag with straps. Question 1 about your tank bag ...did you do the installation just like the video. securing the back end to the frame? Sorry I couldn't picture your comment "I can use the built-in tank bag wire bail attachments on the fuel tank". Question 2 ... do your handle bars hit your tank bag? Thanks!
Hi Matt.
Q1: No, as I mentioned, I installed the Wolfman backwards... the deepest end positioned to the front of the ST. Tilts the map up and makes it easier to see. Never looked at the video until just now. Surprised the year old link still works.
As to the rear straps, they use the wire bails welded to the fuel tank. A thoughtful design by Honda. Pull your saddle and you’ll see them.
Q2: yes, my handlebars (OEM, no risers) contact the bag at full lock. The sides deflect in a bit but it’s not really a problem.
Pretty simple, but I could take a picture if necessary. IIRC, Thane Silliker had the same bag and did the same install
HTH
John

Last edited:
Bike
2002 ST1100
Hi Matt.
Q1: No, as I mentioned, I installed the Wolfman backwards... the deepest end positioned to the front of the ST. Tilts the map up and makes it easier to see. Never looked at the video until just now. Surprised the year old link still works.
As to the rear straps, they use the wire bails welded to the fuel tank. A thoughtful design by Honda. Pull your saddle and you’ll see them.
Q2: yes, my handlebars (OEM, no riders) contact the bag at full lock. The sides deflect in a bit but it’s not really a problem.
Pretty simple, but I could take a picture if necessary. IIRC, Thane Silliker had the same bag and did the same install
HTH
John
Thanks John!!

Top Bottom