Packing for a non-ST rental

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
We're renting a BMW RT in Palo Alto in December.
We're trying to figure out how to deal with how to pack.
We'll fly with a carryon suitcase but we're a bit mystified as to what we can use to as pannier liners on the RT.
We'd rather not have to put stuff directly in the pannier but will in the absence of a better idea.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST1300
For a short trip I would use heavy contractor trash bags. In fact, I have half a dozen regular garbage bags in my panniers for use when camping if I get caught in rain. The wet tent and gear would go in the bags and then be strapped to the pillion seat. If the panniers are anything other than the rectangular boxes often found on adventure bikes plastic bags will conform to the inner shape without robbing room that would be used for your gear.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you have the Honda bag liners for your ST13, they will fit fairly well in the RT's saddle bags. I had both bikes for a few weeks and my ST bags worked OK in the RT.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I use the Walmart reusable grocery bags in my DR650 panniers. They are cheap and work great. They are sturdy also. I’ll bet you can get 1 1/2 bags in each pannier.
The RT panniers are very easy to remove on the RT. You could just carry them into your room.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Before I had bag liners I used some of my wife's canvas shopping bags. I also have a r1100rt with bag liners and they are a little bit smaller.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
We're renting a BMW RT in Palo Alto in December.
We're trying to figure out how to deal with how to pack.
We'll fly with a carryon suitcase but we're a bit mystified as to what we can use to as pannier liners on the RT.
We'd rather not have to put stuff directly in the pannier but will in the absence of a better idea.

Any thoughts?

Many of these dry bags would suit your purpose. They come in various sizes from 5L upward, they have the dimensions on many of them.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Curious- why not? Cleanliness of the bags? I am sure that they must be waterproof so that should not be a concern.
Mostly because of the hassle of taking the panniers off and carrying them into rooms.
I like the idea of canvas bags as we can use bags we already have.

Bike
07 ST1300
Wife and I are flying to Miami and getting on a 1600GTL for the Christmas new years week. I intend to ship all of our gear down UPS with a return label when we finish.
Have fun on your trip!

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
All packed up!
Helmets in their liners in the blue MEC canvas bags which will also be our pannier bags.
My riding pants between the helmets, my partner’s above. My rain jacket top left. Her rain gear is inside her helmet along with gloves. My rain pants are in my helmet with my gloves.
Not in the picture but added on top are our riding boots.
We took the advice to wear our jackets on the plane. Besides, my sweetheart likes how badass she looks in hers. :)
All set to go!
Weather forecast looks good ☀

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If she's gonna dress like that, maybe I should take you guys to a biker bar instead of BBQ :rofl1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Our trip went very well. Thanks to all who gave great packing advice.

Here's a couple of shots of us packing up at Eaglerider and the finished cases ready for the cab.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
That's awesome, and best of all you didn't go to SFO and rent a BMW, fall in love with the beemer, forgetting about you new love at home...STella!

Top Bottom