Windscreen Microswitch Replacement?

Bike
ST1300
My windscreen has an intermittent problem: it won't go down when the bike is hot. Having had the same issue (in the opposite direction) with the windscreen a couple of years ago, I am pretty sure that it is the down limit microswitch. Back then I was lucky enough to get a spare microswitch from someone else on the board, but I'm sure that somewhere I can buy a replacement switch. Does anyone have a link for a replacement microswitch that won't take a major redesign to install? Thanks, DP

Bike
2010 ST1300
If there is a part number on the micro switch, try googgling that.

Bike
2005 st1300
Could also be the handlebar switch or the up and down relays. I would bypass the limit switch to test your suspicion first. Just make sure the windscreen is not at or near the bottom when you bypass the limit switch. Trying to power the screen past either limit would surely break the mechanism. The thing that is odd is that you say "when the bike is hot"... If you are referring to engine heat, I wouldnt think it would affect any parts that are in the fairing (maybe a bit if sitting still) or on the handlebar. There is a circuit breaker in the motor and a main relay in the power distribution section that would be more susceptible to heat, but wouldnt affect one direction only. im interested to hear what the problem turns out to be

OP
OP
David P
Bike
ST1300
I'll check the switch versus relay this or next weekend. Bike heat also affects equipment under the fairing, at least here in FL (my overheated ground wiring attests to that). Swapping the relays is a good idea - I'll try that. I replaced the handlebar switch a few years ago, so I kinda discount that as a problem.

It's not a huge problem, but an annoying one.

Bike
2010 st1300abs
On the snow cats that I operate during the winter, I have seen relays fail with heat while working fine when they are cold.

OP
OP
David P
Bike
ST1300
Anna'sDad, thanks for the schematic. I've got to wait until the switch fails completely before I dig into it. Where are the relays located?

Bike
2004 ST1300
Having the same problem with my windshield. It will go up but not down, started intermittently then stopped going down completely. Went under the cowl and discovered if I moved the lower limiter it would work. Worked for awhile but then stopped again. I believe the limiter is worn it is also mounted with the lever facing down so I think a worn lever and gravity cause the switch to think it's closed and stops the motor from lowering the windshield. A previous post listed the switch as 2A 125VAC switch Matsushita PN/AB2904, that is correct. Seems like an easy fix if the switch can be located. Found the wiring harness for sale on ebay. Swapped out and works perfectly, now have a spare switch for the future. Also careful to not store the windshield in the fully down position to save wear on the switch. Research into the switch shows it was discontinued by Matsushita.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Having the same problem with my windshield. It will go up but not down, started intermittently then stopped going down completely. Went under the cowl and discovered if I moved the lower limiter it would work. Worked for awhile but then stopped again. I believe the limiter is worn it is also mounted with the lever facing down so I think a worn lever and gravity cause the switch to think it's closed and stops the motor from lowering the windshield. A previous post listed the switch as 2A 125VAC switch Matsu****a PN/AB2904, I haven't gotten that far into disassembly to confirm that yet. Seems like an easy fix if the switch can be located.
Generous squirting of contact cleaner put some life back into mine.
Try this first, if it doesn't work...

The switch can be located easily, if you know where to look.

I happen to know where to look. Contact me through a PM.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
[FONT=&amp]The [/FONT]listing[FONT=&amp] you're looking for is no longer available. Check out this item that's not anything like you're looking for that we found for you.[/FONT]
Ok now that's just wrong. And a little cruel. :lol:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Clear your cache and see if it still shows up. I still get the updated version.

But great score! How do your replace that gear?
Very Carefully! :D

There's a couple of threads on the maintenance & repair of the windshield mechanism on the forum. Easy to follow.

OP
OP
David P
Bike
ST1300
Greasing the windshield mechanism on a regular basis is probably the best thing you can do to reduce the chance of a failure and an expensive rebuild/replacement.

I'm still looking for a replacement windscreen position switch. I spent a couple of hours on Digikey looking for a substitute; I can find an almost identical limit switch, except that the mounting holes do not align. I don't know if that exact switch is manufactured anymore. I may try to fabricate a mounting plate, or re-drill the mounting holes.

Top Bottom