ECU Reset

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
Has anyone else come across or indeed tried this? I have done a search here but cannot find any reference:

1.Completely disconnected the battery for 24h (my reading sources state 10 minutes to half an hour).
2.Turn the key to on to get rid of any held power for about 30 seconds (probable not needed).
3.Reconnect Battery (make sure all other electrics are off)
4.Turn key to on
5.Start bike without touching the throttle.
6.Leave to idle (DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE) for around 15 minutes until the fan kicks in (mine took 16 minutes).
7.Hit the kill switch.
8.Turn off the ignition.
9.Now you're done.

I have seen this on various web locations, notably on the Australian ST forum ozstoc.com(ST1300 technical). I am not a member of that forum, but reading the thread, a few members have reported favourable results, namely, 'Smoother throttle response, pulls from much lower in the rev band in all gears'.

The information they state on the thread is "Apparently as part of the prep before the dealer hands over the keys, the mechanic resets the ECU starts the bike and lets it idle for around 15 minutes until the fan cuts in. In the 15 minutes the ECU creates a base map using all the info gathered from the O2, water temperature and possibly other sensors."

I would be interested to hear the comments and views from members here with much more knowledge than I.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have read about this for the ST1300 but not done it.

However I have done something very similar on my 2006 Triumph Tiger and it did improve how it ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
1.Completely disconnected the battery for 24h (my reading sources state 10 minutes to half an hour).
2.Turn the key to on to get rid of any held power for about 30 seconds (probable not needed).
3.Reconnect Battery (make sure all other electrics are off)
Not necessary. Shutting off the engine switch and ignition removes all power to the ECM.

4.Turn key to on
5.Start bike without touching the throttle.
6.Leave to idle (DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE) for around 15 minutes until the fan kicks in (mine took 16 minutes).
7.Hit the kill switch.
8.Turn off the ignition.
That's the procedure for the Gold Wing, and the setup instructions for that bike explain its purpose:

19. Initialize the ECM.

The GL 1800 uses an electronically controlled IAC (Intake Air Control Valve) to minimize idle fluctuations normally caused by air temperature and load variations.

Idle Speed: 700 ± 50 rpm

In order for the IAC to operate properly, the ECM (Engine Control Module) must be initialized. Start the engine and let it warm up to normal
operating temperature.

Once normal temperature is achieved, allow the engine to idle, without touching the throttle, for at least 90 seconds. If the throttle is operated during this time, the ECU will not initialize properly and the process will need to be repeated. Idle speed should stabilize at 700 ± 50 rpm.​

The ST doesn't have an an IAC valve and the setup instructions and service manual don't call for it.

That said, the ECMs in both bikes are made by Keihin, and the procedure may do something similar on the ST. I could see it being useful in figuring out what the throttle position sensor reads when the throttle is closed. Nothing could be done with any of the other sensors because there's no reference for what they're reading (e.g., it doesn't know what the outside are and temperature are). As my grandfather (and at least one of the Magliozzi brothers) used to say, it can't hurt.

...a few members have reported favourable results, namely, 'Smoother throttle response, pulls from much lower in the rev band in all gears'.
Data from the butt dyno is a good source of confirmation bias when the rider has just done something believed to make a difference.

--Mark

OP
OP
Fawlty
Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
OK thanks for the explanation Birfl. Good to know the theory. I won't be using the process on a regular basis, if at all.

Byron

STOC #
What exactly are you hoping to accomplish by resetting the ECU?

In chapter 5 of the service manual which covers all the sensors feeding data to the ECU there are test procedures to verify the sensors are faulty. If the sensor tests good but there is still a problem then they specify to replace the ECU, as it is apparently bad, and test again. In no instance that I could find about an ECU reset, only clearing fault codes.

OP
OP
Fawlty
Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
What exactly are you hoping to accomplish by resetting the ECU?

In chapter 5 of the service manual which covers all the sensors feeding data to the ECU there are test procedures to verify the sensors are faulty. If the sensor tests good but there is still a problem then they specify to replace the ECU, as it is apparently bad, and test again. In no instance that I could find about an ECU reset, only clearing fault codes.
Thanks for that info. I was just curious to see if this procedure applies to the ST1300. I now know that this is for the Goldwing. Many thanks to all.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
However I have done something very similar on my 2006 Triumph Tiger and it did improve how it ran.
I have read the Triumph Trophy has a similar "reset" procedure - close throttle fully, start, don't touch the throttle, and let it run until fully warmed up. There must be some adaptive coding involved.

Kinda makes you wonder if Keihin makes the ECM for Triumph or if there has been some reverse engineering.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Kinda makes you wonder if Keihin makes the ECM for Triumph or if there has been some reverse engineering.
A quick image search for "Triumph ECM" shows many with the Keihin logo on them. Triumph isn't big enough to manufacture its own injection system from the ground up.

--Mark

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If I recall correctly the name “Sagem†comes to mind when I think about the Triumph FI.
I don't have my service manual handy or I'd confirm that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom