Shorten fork 1 inch

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I got it back. The bike is easy to handle and turns much quicker. Front seems stiffer, but not harsh. Part of that is due to all new Honda bushings and fork oil, and part may be due to less travel.

Unfortunetely, there is a rubbing noise in the front wheel asembly, so it is going back at the first opportunity. I tried several hardish stops in case something needed to seat; no joy. This time I'm going to test drive it before I leave.

He replaced my rear pads and the rear pedal went up to normal height. He said the front pads were almost worn out, so I ordered a set and will have him install them on my next visit.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Front seems stiffer, but not harsh
That's the opposite of my stock ST1300 suspension— soft and harsh.

If you jacked up the front wheel maybe you could isolate the source of the rubbing. Redoing the wheel assembly/tightenin process might be all that's needed. If it's in the caliper/pad area that might be more involved.

I'm all for letting whoever is paid to the work re-do it to make it right but if it's simple enough and saves time and a trip that might be the way to go.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
It would be easier, but it’s something I don’t know anything about. I imagine the front axle wasn't put back together right

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I rode the ST1100 for the first long ride after getting the forks shortened an inch and pulling up the handlebars a couple of inches. I've been preoccupied with my baby Versys.

It doesn't ride like the same bike. It is much easier for me to handle. Before the rear was lowered more than the front. Now the front and rear are in balance. It is easier to make slow speed u turns as well as sharp cornering at speed. It is truly a joy to ride now. Did about 200 miles on early this morning. I'm going to make some windshield adjustments and go out again later.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I wanted to do a follow up after a little more time with the bike. Love it! Feels like a much smaller bike. I bought a Versys 300, that I love, but I kinda wish I had waited a while because the ST is getting easier and easier to ride.

BTW, the rubbing noise was the speedometer.

Top Bottom