ST1300 test harness

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I received my service manual yesterday so am gradually turning its pages.

On the forum I've read that the test harness is not available.
From what I can tell isn't it made of standard 26 pin connectors?
With the right skills wouldn't it be a relatively simple thing to make a test harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
On the forum I've read that the test harness is not available.

From what I can tell isn't it made of standard 26 pin connectors?
Yes, but "standard" doesn't mean readily available in the US. Figure out the manufacturer, a distributor that will sell small quantities, P/N's for the male & female, pins, and maybe a crimp tool. Or maybe fab a PCB to connect the two and fan the signals out.

With the right skills wouldn't it be a relatively simple thing to make a test harness?
Yes, conceptually it's not that difficult to fabricate. But part of the issue is understanding what the ECM is actually supposed to do, or not do. The actually knowledge is likely not documented properly anywhere, and certainly not available here in the US. There have been many so called experts that have given up on the ST ECM.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
+1 to the above.

If you could get the connectors & pins, it would be relatively easy to construct - nothing magic about it. Sounds like a good winter project. It could then be loaned to ST1300 Owners on this Forum.

SO ...... Is there a manufacturers name on the connectors ??

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The reason I thought that it would be interesting to have a test harness is because it would allow a person to test every pin for the expected readings while the bike is running.

Or am I completely missing the point of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Experts - I was thinking of "Ivan's Fuel Cut Eliminator" for the ST1300, that malfunctioned on some ST1300's. Ivan gave up on it.

I PM'd Jeff this thread link, to see if he recognizes those connectors. I don't recall myself.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Not sure, they could be the correct ones. What I can see if the back side looks like there's some kind of cover? The OEM have no covers, just the wires exiting directly. The pre-‘08 models do have two large rectangular connectors like that. Same size different colors. Having repaired a couple connectors with some plug assemblies (on the replacement main harness I bought) from Eastern Beaver, I found there are many subtle differences in otherwise similar appearing connectors.

I could take a photo of the plugs on my old harness if it has value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
To make matters even more fun, the ECM change in 2008 to 33-pin connectors. . I don't have a handle on the 26-pin connectors they used from 2002-2007. If Cycleterminal has a source for the females, they can probably tell you where to get the males.

I haven't had a need to try this myself, but it should also be possible to make contact with the pins in the harness connector by slipping a needle probe in alongside the wire. (Last time I brought this up, somebody pitched a fit about piercing the insulation. I'm not talking about that.)

--Mark

Bike
09 ST1300
but it should also be possible to make contact with the pins in the harness connector by slipping a needle probe in alongside the wire. (Last time I brought this up, somebody pitched a fit about piercing the insulation. I'm not talking about that.)
That is exactly the way it's done in automotive testing. Special test probes (similar to a needle but blunt ended and flexible, with insulated outer portion and a means to plug test leads into). This is referred to as "back probing" and the probe is simply slipped in between the rubber seal and the wires' insulation to make contact with the terminal. Done with care it does not harm the sealing integrity of the connector, and wire insulation is not pierced. This is all you need as there really is never a need to have all the pins available in a break-out box all at once - you are usually going after maybe 1 or 2 circuits at any given time, and you really don't very often have the need for a "known good" signal to compare to because when you get into this type of testing, you have already studied the schematic and have a solid understanding of circuit design and how it functions, and you already know what type of signal you are going to see, or not see.

thekaz

haz gone feral
Break out tools were essential to mechanics before OBD & OBDII ..... It was a great and easy to tell if your ECM was recieving a bad signal or was proccessing a correct signal in the wrong way.
Now its just hook up your scanner and watch the signals. GOD I wish all bikes had OBDII :(

thekaz

haz gone feral
Experts - I was thinking of "Ivan's Fuel Cut Eliminator" for the ST1300, that malfunctioned on some ST1300's. Ivan gave up on it.

I PM'd Jeff this thread link, to see if he recognizes those connectors. I don't recall myself.
Ivans only mistake was thinking he could change the fuel map in one specific column on a closed loop system without opening the system or activating limp.
Don't get me wrong it can be done but you will loose "something" be it fuel economy or torque curve etc .... Changing the original map altogether is the best way but I know of no one who has even attempted to compile the ST1300 ECU fuel data or hack the ECU. For those stuck with the bizarrely termed "fuel cut" just go buy a non-USA spec ECU :rolleyes:

Top Bottom