An Old Fart Needs Advice With Bikes

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
As some of you are aware, 3 months ago I fractured my ankle and severed my Achilles. I have loved the ST but when this loooooooong recovery ends, it will go and I need a lighter bike as a replacement. I have a 650 Versys LT but also want something a little better and faster for long trips. My list so far is BMW 800 ST/GT, 2014+ DL1000, FJ-09. I look forward to and appreciate your input. ABS is a must.

Greg

Bike
2010 ST1300
Test ride the BMW 800. Some guys find them buzzy. I rode a friends 700 and it vibrated at 68 to 70 mph in top gear (right around 3800 to 4000 rpm. In fact, test ride them all.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Test ride the BMW 800. Some guys find them buzzy. I rode a friends 700 and it vibrated at 68 to 70 mph in top gear (right around 3800 to 4000 rpm. In fact, test ride them all.
Believe me, I understand, but a test ride is nothing like a 400 mile day, passing on 2 lane when needed. I appreciate the buzzy input. That’s what I want to hear. Thanks.

Greg

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Have you looked a naked Suzuki SV650 ABS?

Really though, it occurs to me that what older riders need is a lighter, smaller (and yes...less sporty/fast) touring bike than an ST or Gold Wing or big Harley.

Yes, in my day, I subscribed to the “more power is always better than less power” school of thought, but now - I’m not in such a big hurry. I’m virtually always on-up and I seldom do more than 15 km/hr over the limit. I love to ride, but the weight and super-duper power of a 700-900 lb, 100-150 HP, 240 km/hr bike is really not necessary. Right now I can still handle it, but in a few years, I’m sure that a lighter and smaller bike would be welcome and whatever loss of capability it would entail, simply wouldn’t be a big deal.

People may laugh, but I’d like to see something like a GL-650 Silverwing - but with modern technology.

I want a fairing with decent protection, shaft drive and hard bags but I don’t want clip-ons or a 240 km/hr speed and I don’t want something looks like a Transformer or pretends to be a dirt bike or that requires me to be a contortionist to ride. I have two vintage bikes (1970s era Yamaha XS650s) and I love them, but I want a newer bike for long distances - one that doesn’t need to be babied and one that has modern conveniences like tubeless radial tires, fuel injection, good instruments and really good lighting.

Hmmmmm....

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
Take a look at the CB1100. It is one of the smoothest bikes I have ever ridden. Weight and balance feels closer to my '81CB650 then what a liter bike should feel like.
Up side: 1. Light and nimble. plenty of torque and power, but not a sport bike. 2. Mid 50's Fuel consumption. 3. Moderately priced leaving change on the table to farkle it to your needs. 4. Plenty of accessories to meet your farkle needs.

The down side: 1. Small tank, but then almost nothing has the range of a the ST. 2. The seat, isn't that a complaint about every bike ever made? 3. Add a wind screen, I needed one.

I chose to keep mine simple.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Take a look at the CB1100. It is one of the smoothest bikes I have ever ridden. Weight and balance feels closer to my '81CB650 then what a liter bike should feel like.
Up side: 1. Light and nimble. plenty of torque and power, but not a sport bike. 2. Mid 50's Fuel consumption. 3. Moderately priced leaving change on the table to farkle it to your needs. 4. Plenty of accessories to meet your farkle needs.

The down side: 1. Small tank, but then almost nothing has the range of a the ST. 2. The seat, isn't that a complaint about every bike ever made? 3. Add a wind screen, I needed one.

I chose to keep mine simple.
Want something with at least a minimal fairing. Should have mentioned that. Thanks.

Greg

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Looking to keep it 500 lbs. or under with the bum leg. Thanks.

Greg
Exactly - I have an old knee injury that has flared up and that is what has prompted me to check out an SV650:
- upright riding position with realistic foot peg placement;
- 430 lbs (300 lbs - !!!! - less than an ST1300);
- 75 HP (120 MPH top speed and will blow the doors off any car);
- ABS / tubeless tires / modern electronics etc.

The only things it lacks are a fairing, shaft drive and hard bags and a comfortable seat.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I test rode a Versus 1000, and was really impressed. Not sure of the actual weight, but it felt light to me. Good power, surprisingly good wind protection, and it comes with factory bags at a reasonable price. The ergos felt good to me, although that's a really subjective matter. There are a lot of "smaller" bikes available now, many that don't require you to give up smoothness or power.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I test rode a Versus 1000, and was really impressed. Not sure of the actual weight, but it felt light to me. Good power, surprisingly good wind protection, and it comes with factory bags at a reasonable price. The ergos felt good to me, although that's a really subjective matter. There are a lot of "smaller" bikes available now, many that don't require you to give up smoothness or power.
I love my Versys 650LT but ruled out the 1000 in favor of the Strom 1000 because of a significant weight difference. I had a non ABS Wee and loved it.

Greg

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Tiger 800. I absolutely love mine. 500 lbs and has all the power you need. Just roll the throttle in 6th gear at 35 mph. And when you want to play, it is up to the challenge. It handles like it is on rails. Cruise, ABS traction control, programmable ride modes. All day comfortable.
I have the 2015 XCX model that has spoked wheels and a 21 inch front wheel. I converted my rear wheel to tubeless so I can plug and play. Most flats happen on the rear. I’m not brave enough to do the front wheel. They make a road version XRX with 19 inch front wheel. It has cast wheels.
I chose the XCX over the XRX because it has WP suspension. I had no desire to even look at the XCX because of the spoked wheels. The dealer talked me into just go test ride it. I had already test rode a Tiger 1200 and the 800 XRX. The 800 XCX was hands down night and day better for me. It just felt the best.
I traded in a 2012 G650GS on the Tiger that I had for 6 months. I bought it to replace my DR650. Two trips to the shop under warranty on the BMW. The warranty was about to run out. I bought it to replace my bullet proof DR650 that I still have. It has never missed a beat.
Buy what works for you. The good thing is there are a lot of good options out there now. You have to decide what works for you.
Good luck on your search!

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Have you looked a naked Suzuki SV650 ABS?

Really though, it occurs to me that what older riders need is a lighter, smaller (and yes...less sporty/fast) touring bike than an ST or Gold Wing or big Harley.

Yes, in my day, I subscribed to the “more power is always better than less power†school of thought, but now - I'm not in such a big hurry. I'm virtually always on-up and I seldom do more than 15 km/hr over the limit. I love to ride, but the weight and super-duper power of a 700-900 lb, 100-150 HP, 240 km/hr bike is really not necessary. Right now I can still handle it, but in a few years, I'm sure that a lighter and smaller bike would be welcome and whatever loss of capability it would entail, simply wouldn't be a big deal.

People may laugh, but I'd like to see something like a GL-650 Silverwing - but with modern technology.

I want a fairing with decent protection, shaft drive and hard bags but I don't want clip-ons or a 240 km/hr speed and I don't want something looks like a Transformer or pretends to be a dirt bike or that requires me to be a contortionist to ride. I have two vintage bikes (1970s era Yamaha XS650s) and I love them, but I want a newer bike for long distances - one that doesn't need to be babied and one that has modern conveniences like tubeless radial tires, fuel injection, good instruments and really good lighting.

Hmmmmm....

Pete
Nice to see you still have the ole'XS650's! Never have ridden one, but I'm sure my bought new 81 Yammy Venturer 1100 is a fairly good step up from the 650's;):).

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Nice to see you still have the ole'XS650's! Never have ridden one, but I'm sure my bought new 81 Yammy Venturer 1100 is a fairly good step up from the 650's;):).
Absolutely - those two old gals are snuggled in the Disaster Central Workshop and both run. I’ve got a bit of a carb issue with the red ‘76 Standard, but new floats are on the way. The black ‘81 Special is under conversion to a Cafe bike, but it runs well.

7C56D14F-FA1F-4CF8-9612-256D9D7F16D3.jpg

96A9C405-1E4F-4817-BE13-0D86FC3DF20F.jpg 1575E98A-9DCD-408C-8EDF-E8E7BDC09BC5.jpg

By the way, I find the ergonomics - and even the seats on these ‘40 year old bikes - to be superior to the fit (for me at least) of most modern bikes.

EDIT: XS650 - 465lb wet plus a solid 50+ mpg AND it does not sound like a blender AND it comes with real built-in vibrations!

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'd look real close at a Tenere. That would likely be my choice.

Bike
R1200rt
[video=youtube;LDm9Z2DX8rY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=LDm9Z2DX8rY[/video] tracer gt900 470 lbs plus it has cruise control

Top Bottom