An Old Fart Needs Advice With Bikes

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Honda African Twin? 500# can get it with DCT if your bum leg is your left. Power and a 5 gallon tank. Can put luggage on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST-1300
My wife has a F800st. She added Helibar risers,a Madstat windscreen, and a Givi trunk. It's a nice little bike. Plenty of power and handles really well. The motor is made by Rotax and is pretty much bullet proof. The gas tank is nice being under the seat keeping the weight down lower. Belt drive is very low maintenance. BMW says to change it earlier than is necessary. New belts are very expensive but I bought a new spare from a guy on the f800 forum for less than 1/2 the price BMW wants for one.
Things I dislike are the little expanding side bags. It also has a voltage check system in the computer that checks to see if any bulbs are blown. If the battery is a little weak it will say to check your lights. The fuel gauge will show a certain amount of miles left until empty then doesn't start counting down until under like 75 miles (cant remember exactly) . Not a big deal for me as I go by the trip odometer.
Another bike with simular ergos is the 650 Ninja. It's actually a little more upright. They can be found 2nd hand for half the price of the BMW.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Did you get the CBF1000 over there. Not too heavy. Linked ABS. It's a Honda. GT version has full Honda luggage. Fireblade engine is so smooth. It's a Honda. The earlier twinpipe looks the bees knees and did I happen to mention it's a Honda.
Chain adjustment is easy peasy with centre stand and goes thousands between adjustment because of the linear power delivery. Don't think dull engine though; wind it up and it flies.
FWIW.
Upt'North.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd suggest a new GoldWing or H-D Road King or...

Oh— you said something lighter than an ST and under 500lbs...

I don't often think of chain drive bikes but when I do it's a Honda CB1100 or Africa Twin. Depending on how much riding you'll be doing you can probably trick either out with a windshield and custom seat. Throw some soft luggage and a tank and/or tail bag and you can take a weekend ride. DCT might be a worthwhile consideration.

I put a Rifle fairing/windshield on my V65S. It was handlebar mount but it never gave me any fits at any speed and kept the wind off my face and chest. I wish I had my V65S. It would be a perfect second bike.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
He is looking at 500lbs or under.
Understood, but if he wants to continue LD touring, he should at least consider it. It's only 575 lbs. wet, which is significantly lower than the ST.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
My leg, after 3-4 more months of PT with 3 already in should be no worse than 90% of its previous ability and hopefully more. A bike in the 500 and under range should not be a problem. I like the DL1000 and am amazed that it tops out at 503 pounds wet despite its size. The FJ-09 is a quick bugger without as much wind protection. I hear more on both sides of the F800 ST/GT than any other and it may be a bit more cramped for my lanky frame. Now to research the Tiger and others that have been mentioned. Let’s hear more!

Greg

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
My leg, after 3-4 more months of PT with 3 already in should be no worse than 90% of its previous ability and hopefully more. A bike in the 500 and under range should not be a problem. I like the DL1000 and am amazed that it tops out at 503 pounds wet despite its size. The FJ-09 is a quick bugger without as much wind protection. I hear more on both sides of the F800 ST/GT than any other and it may be a bit more cramped for my lanky frame. Now to research the Tiger and others that have been mentioned. Let's hear more!

Greg
Don't let chains worry you. I have learned that if you have a good high tensile strength chain and an auto oiler that chains last a long time after the first adjustment.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Greg,
Check out the Suzuki GXS-S 750 and 1000. They're the standard version of the GXS sport bikes. I test rode a 1000. 137HP and 450 lbs. The 750 has 103HP and is even lighter.

John

Bike
R1200rt
My leg, after 3-4 more months of PT with 3 already in should be no worse than 90% of its previous ability and hopefully more. A bike in the 500 and under range should not be a problem. I like the DL1000 and am amazed that it tops out at 503 pounds wet despite its size. The FJ-09 is a quick bugger without as much wind protection. I hear more on both sides of the F800 ST/GT than any other and it may be a bit more cramped for my lanky frame. Now to research the Tiger and others that have been mentioned. Let’s hear more!

Greg
its not a fj-09 its a Tracer gt900, has better wind protection, heated grips and cruise. The bmw 800 belt is $592.59 , ouch! tracer,versys 1000 and bmw 800 all use premium fuel. What a conundrum. The st is good at everything and there is nothing like it.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
its not a fj-09 its a Tracer gt900, has better wind protection, heated grips and cruise. The bmw 800 belt is $592.59 , ouch! tracer,versys 1000 and bmw 800 all use premium fuel. What a conundrum. The st is good at everything and there is nothing like it.
Al, I certainly won’t argue with your opinion of the ST. However, there comes a time..........

Greg

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have a tough time with new when there are so many garage queens out there. Used but relatively new is my mantra.

Greg
I have come to feel the same way.

Top Bottom