Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
As some of you are aware, 3 months ago I fractured my ankle and severed my Achilles. I have loved the ST but when this loooooooong recovery ends, it will go and I need a lighter bike as a replacement. I have a 650 Versys LT but also want something a little better and faster for long trips. My list so far is BMW 800 ST/GT, 2014+ DL1000, FJ-09. I look forward to and appreciate your input. ABS is a must.
Greg, Check out the link on this bike. I have sat on this bike at the dealership and it is pretty sweet. It is listed as new, but a 2016 model. It has 1,700 miles on it because the dealership owner rode it to Colorado this summer for a dealer meeting. Might be negotiable on the price though. Saddle bags are available for the bike (but a little spendy). Got 160 H.P. and 502 pounds wet, ready to ride. Might be an option for ya. It will haul :eek: https://bakmc.com/Motorcycles-BMW-S-1000-XR-2016-Sioux-City-IA-dd775d4b-cf3a-4d63-b163-a7c9013f872f

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Greg, Check out the link on this bike. I have sat on this bike at the dealership and it is pretty sweet. It is listed as new, but a 2016 model. It has 1,700 miles on it because the dealership owner rode it to Colorado this summer for a dealer meeting. Might be negotiable on the price though. Saddle bags are available for the bike (but a little spendy). Got 160 H.P. and 502 pounds wet, ready to ride. Might be an option for ya. It will haul :eek: https://bakmc.com/Motorcycles-BMW-S-1000-XR-2016-Sioux-City-IA-dd775d4b-cf3a-4d63-b163-a7c9013f872f
Jeff - I would have to take it for a test ride after Greg bought it. I bet you would also test ride it for him.

In all fairness. Most know Greg and I are good friends. He is looking for a touring style bike that is available in the US and not much, if any over 500#. That means decent protection from the elements while riding and luggage if not stock, then available. Would love real world experience with a bike that he listed in his earlier post from our members.

I really want this man to continue riding as his company on our trips is priceless.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Now if you want a nice utility bike and can be had decked out then the NC700X and NC700XD are nice. 474 # curb weight. Lots of storage can be lowered if you need it. 70 mpg. And great for bebopping around town. Personally though for 30 # more I would get the African Twin. The 700 feels like a 250 weight wise when going down the road or parking lots. Just options.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
NC700X

My 80 year old riding buddy just bought the DCT version. He was struggling w/ the weight of his ST1300.

Although the weight is considerable, it is VERY low. VERY easy to ride...in fact the easiest to ride bike I have ever ridden. Rails the corners & easy to maneuver in the parking lot. Somewhat underpowered in the higher altitudes here in Colorado.

Also, reasonably priced.

Definitely worth a look.

http://powersports.honda.com/2017/nc700x/specifications.aspx

As some of you are aware, 3 months ago I fractured my ankle and severed my Achilles. I have loved the ST but when this loooooooong recovery ends, it will go and I need a lighter bike as a replacement. I have a 650 Versys LT but also want something a little better and faster for long trips. My list so far is BMW 800 ST/GT, 2014+ DL1000, FJ-09. I look forward to and appreciate your input. ABS is a must.

Greg
I just downsized from an ST1300 to a BMW 700GS. Yes a bit buzzy at 70mph but it just keeps accelerating, will get to about 110. Weighs about 450 wet and handling in twisted is great. The ST was tall and heavy as I get older. Loved it but at 76 I have to be realistic. I have ridden the GS 1400 miles in the Pyrenees and 2400 miles thru the Dragon and Blue Ridge. Very enjoyable. Mine is the lowered version but the comfort seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2011 Honda NT 700
Hey Mondo..glad to see you are on the mend, now that winter is just around the corner it will be a little easier to deal with not riding..I was pretty much in the same boat as you, but without the injury.. I needed a bike with good weather protection..decent performance..shaft drive..tubeless tires etc. etc.. but found it did Not exist in the new model lineup.. I settled for a new (OLD STOCK) 2011 Honda NT and it serves very well even though I didn't particularly like the V Twin engine..it is a much under rated motorcycle and constantly reminds me of the older mid size bikes of the eighties Suzuki GS 650 shaft et al I was very much looking forward to the Yamaha FJ07 thinking it will be a direct Mini copy of the mighty FJR 1300 (Shafty) but alas a chain is hanging at the rear..I know I know..the chain on my wifes BMW GS and my Triumph have done many thousands of miles absolutely trouble free but I just do not feel I can deal with the oil spots and mess inherent with chain final drives when travelling / touring..I guarantee there is a huge market out there for just such a machine with latest state of the art equipment that ticks ALL the boxes but for some odd reason the manufactures just can't reach that final goal..

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yup, as I said some days ago, I want:
- shaft drive;
- decent protection;
- integrated luggage (removable - but not cobbled together);
- realistic ergonomics;
- liquid cooling;
- fuel injection;
- good lighting;
- fuel gauge and self-cancelling turn signals;
- Japanese build quality, reliability AND affordable ownership;
- non-ugly looks (i.e. something that does NOT like like it is going to rear-up and change itself into a battle-ready Class 8 truck/robot, refrigerator or hedge trimmer);

Basically, an updated and improved CX650 Silver Wing or modernized GS650G with a fairing and luggage - would be ideal. I don’t need 240 km/hr speed, 150 HP and would even give up long distance two-up capability for a lighter and more compact bike. Anything with an “R” in the designator is not a likely candidate.

Off-road capability is absolutely not a requirement for me. When I go off-road, I’ll be walking with a knapsack.

It is difficult to understand why these specs are so difficult to meet. The manufacturers have tons of great engines and buckets of experience with all of the above components.

It does seem like a classic case of simply not listening to the almighty VOC (voice of the customer). That is how the Pontiac Aztec, the 1 sliding door Ford Windstar minivan and the VW Phaeton were built....

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
If you are interested in the F800 BMWs I would really consider the GS which I think is the most comfortable of the range and a good handling bike. It has chain drive but modern chains aren't the bother they use to be. The new 2018 F850GS has some great new features including cruise control and clutch less shifting both up and down and 15 more horsepower with the 50 cc displacement increase. Half the fun of getting a new bike is the search, after you buy it it will be old hat in no time.

Gerhard

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Don't have a better bike suggestion than those mentioned but, another aggressive 3 mos rehab might find you not "needing" another ride. At least with the tendon and strength recovery, unless the ankle is the bigger issue? Good luck with the rehab.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Don't have a better bike suggestion than those mentioned but, another aggressive 3 mos rehab might find you not "needing" another ride. At least with the tendon and strength recovery, unless the ankle is the bigger issue? Good luck with the rehab.
Thanks. It’s all kind of tied together, so to speak. They put a screw in the ankle to stabilize it which may or may not come out in the future. I’m trying to insure I will continue to ride well into my 70’s .

Greg

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I know the R1200rt has already been suggested here . I have a 2005 St and 2012 R1200rt,the last of the air/oil cooled. The Rt is significantly lighter than the ST roughly 150 LBS. It is very well balanced and you give up nothing in comfort or wind protection. It can be put on the centre stand with considerably less effort than the ST. As well since the introduction of the water cooled boxers there are a lot of good air/oil cooled bikes on the used market at very good prices.The 2010-13 would be my recommendation .

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Greg - I've been looking to get another bike. If I go large, it will probably be a R1200GSA, or Tenere.
The only smaller bikes that have my attention are the 800 Tiger, (not sure which), and the FJ-09.
I think I prefer the Tiger because of the dirt roads around here, but I really like the FJ-09.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Greg - I've been looking to get another bike. If I go large, it will probably be a R1200GSA, or Tenere.
The only smaller bikes that have my attention are the 800 Tiger, (not sure which), and the FJ-09.
I think I prefer the Tiger because of the dirt roads around here, but I really like the FJ-09.
All are good choices Bill. Just depends on what you want the bike to do. The FJ-09 would not be my choice for taking off road. The others will all do it just fine.
I bought my Tiger over the Tenere because it weighed about 100 pounds less. I wanted to be able to load it in my truck by myself and go somewhere and ride on my 7 days off.
Go ride all of them and see what works best for you.

Bike
GL1800 2015
I wouldn't rule out a bergman or silverwing....they offer plenty of get and go,and offer very good wind and rain protection! Sally rode hers with me to Mo. once...enjoyed watchin' her ride in my mirrors...lol

Top Bottom