Hip Pain

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Went for a ride couple days ago. Bike is a rocketship with jets and needles kit. 14 inch chromed round slash cut slip on mufflers are just right for the beautiful engine music.

However, am 5'10", mid 60s, and my legs were about to cramp at the hip sockets after an hour of riding. I stood up a couple of times to suppress the upper leg cramping. That helped.

Am seeking solution to deal with old age muscle cramping, golden years stuff.

Thanks.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I thought mine was due to arthritis....which I have in various joints. Same symptoms as yours. My Dr suggested physical therapy. Turns out it was bursitis which six weeks of pt has helped immensely. I have a set of MCL highway blades I installed so I could stretch my left leg out onto (don't use them as footrests, but lower calf rests). Pre PT I was stretching about every 20 minutes. Post PT, that is over two hours...by which point I should have stopped to take a walk anyway.
This is just my case. PT helped immensely with the bursitis, anti-inflams help with the joints affected by arthritis. I'll just keep looking for patches and workarounds so I can keep riding.

Bike
VStrom 650
All good advice above, plus, why not just stop before the pain starts, stretch out, coffee and pie, sounds good to me.
Upt'North.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Google "beginner yoga moves", or something similar. You'll get a bazillion hits, approximately.

I printed an article that showed 10 moves. Many moves open up and stretch your hip joints. Some moves also help your balance, even if you don't see that as an issue. (I didn't)

I try to do my old-man-yoga-moves once a day, but don't always make it. Even a few times a week help me a lot. They take 10-15 minutes a time and mostly eliminate my joint stiffness & muscle cramping.

Bike
1993 ST 1100
Amazing what 10 year does to you, at 40 I never would have looked at this post, at 50, it caught my eye right off the bat.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Yoga is great....also, if you've never seen it google the Master Yoda riding position...pay particular attention to rolling your pelvis forward...repositions the hips to a friendlier place....goodluck.....ride safe........ff

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I had similar hip pain on my ST1300 and frankly, I thought I might have to stop riding. So, I installed a pair of MCL peg lowering blocks on the bike and the pain vanished.

Be sure to get the FIXED blocks (which fold if you touch down in a corner) and not the adjustable blocks which do not fold.

I also installed the MCL Gen 3 bar risers - and the bike went from nearly unrideable for me to nearly perfecto!

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
I say, this is some good forum.

Am gonna go with, and the winner is..........

The MCL products.

Thanks guys. Necessity is the muther of invention.

Happy Holidays.

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Fudggggggge

Having decided to order the MCLs, I shuffle out to the garage on my peripheral neuropathy feet, wondering how those fixed lowering peg blocks are gonna feel.

Am so in the groove with the enlightenment, the full manifestation of power through knowledge, engineering, even my siatica isn't pinging any pain. This is pure nirvana.

Release the steering lock, straighten out the handlebars, and consider putting the center stand down. Am unable to do that by myself on the smooth concrete floor.

I happen to look down and see some lettering on the peg assembly and I see the acorn nut on the bottom of the pegs.

I already have the MCL brackets!

Both feet point below the shifter and brake pedals. There's the problem. I was using my leg to shift and brake instead of the ankle joint.

Will try a pedal adjust tomorrow. ....or even a try back to oem pegs.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I say, this is some good forum.

Am gonna go with, and the winner is..........

The MCL products.

Thanks guys. Necessity is the muther of invention.

Happy Holidays.
MCL is, if not out of business, iffy at best. Do a search here for mcl and read the recent troubles guys have had ordering from them. A few have had to go to their credit card company to get $$$ back.

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
MCL is, if not out of business, iffy at best. Do a search here for mcl and read the recent troubles guys have had ordering from them. A few have had to go to their credit card company to get $$$ back.
Looks like the MCL peg mounts created my situation. The ball of my foot on the peg is well below both the shifter and brake pedal. This requires me to have to raise my leg to achieve simply getting my feet properly positioned for every actuation. No wonder my muscles were cramping at the end of the ride. Glad the problem revealed itself.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
This requires me to have to raise my leg to achieve simply getting my feet properly positioned for every actuation.
When you adjust your levers be careful of your left toe of your shoe or boot catching the pavement. You pegs are lower and with your foot underneath a lowered gearshift lever your toe will be lower.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Looks like the MCL peg mounts created my situation. The ball of my foot on the peg is well below both the shifter and brake pedal. This requires me to have to raise my leg to achieve simply getting my feet properly positioned for every actuation. No wonder my muscles were cramping at the end of the ride. Glad the problem revealed itself.
There were some threads/posts here about adjusting the shift and brake levers to accommodate aftermarket peg lowering brackets. You might search for these. I'd give you the links but one thing I am NOT good at is coming up with the proper key word for a search. My searches often are fruitless.

If you do find success lowering the shifter, be careful like Bob said. Once, while cornering, I did exactly what he said; my toe was under the shift lever and I was leaned 'way over and the sole of my boot grabbed the pavement and was jerked rearward. It was a good cautionary wake up notice - no harm, but I've changed my habits as a result of this.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I go to a chiropractor regularly. Helps immensely. Just another way to fight father time. Good suggestions on stretching.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Whas a good saddle for my arse?

Last edited:
OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
I have to thank everyone for the great response. Just finished removing the lowering brackets and pegs. Put the pegs back minus the brackets. Wow, my feet fit perfectly on the pegs also with both the shifter and brake pedal.

Also, in order to depress the brake pedal or actuate the shifter, I notice all I have to do is pivot my foot at the ankle, and my legs are quite relaxed. No movement of either upper and lower leg and knee is required. Imagine that!

Test ride to follow.

Now on the flip side, literally. The day after riding this past week, am hosing down in the tub. While moving my arse to lay down, I feel a twinge in the ground floor of my pelvic region, a sudden burning tenderness and upon immediate examination, find a knot and swelling half inch wide 3 inches long mound protruding under the skin.

So I attempt to massage the area, am able to push the protrusion back sonewhat flush. Discover today, is call a perineal hernia. Well, no wonder muscles were cramping.

I feel good getting my feet where they belong. Hope my arse will follow with a little PT.

And what causes the hernia? Riding motorcycles, lol, among factors. New saddle will be in order.

Any ride you can walk away from is a good one.....

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
If you want the best and are willing to pay the price for total riding comfort - A Russell Day Long saddle is required.
+1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom