Gerbing heated pants and vest liners

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Motorcycle Superstore (Motorcycle Gear, Parts and Accessories - Motorcycle Superstore) was bought by J&P Cycles so they have huge online sale. I bought Dyne (by Gerbing) heated pants and vest liners for 65% off. Both for a bit over $110.
Gerbing 12V Heated Pant Liner - RevZilla
Gerbing 12V Heated Vest Liner - Cycle Gear
My first heated gear ever. :D

This morning I was testing the gear. And I'm happy. REALLY happy! :D
True, it wasn't so cold outside, around 55°F. But I felt really warm. No, it wasn't "I wasn't cold", it was "I was warm". :) I was most of the time on 5 of 10. I tested on 9 once, both the pants and the vest and I was hot. Although, for people they never wear heated gear before (like myself until this morning :) ) you should know couple things: first, it wasn't warm all over the vest/pants/body. Take a look at this link https://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-11545572856523/Gyde-Heated-Jackets-Info.jpg. So, the heat on the back will cover only one (small?) area on the upper back. And you can feel the temp difference between upper and lower back. If the upper is nice and warm, the lower back is "ok". Sounds bad but don't forget: you are not cold! :)
The same with my pants: while the my knees were nice and warm, my inner thighs where not. It would not (probably) make me a trouble on a longer ride or lower temp, but I would like to have couple strings/wires on the thighs too.
There wasn't 2XL size so I bought 3XL. I thought they go under the jacket and pants, they are thin liners so it it shouldn't be a problem. And it is not. Before I jump into pants I have feeling I'm wearing open parachute. My old TourMaster jacket is 2XL but it's a bit tight because my belly is 6XL. So, when cold it doesn't help much. So I bought TM 3XL - and it's nice and comfy... But in this case you need jacket to press the heated vest liner to your body to feel the warmth. If it's not next to your body you almost don't feel anything. So, while riding 35-40 mph on a street I felt the heater on my back but nothing on the front. I thought it's broken. Then, when sped up to 65-70 mph front was pressed to my chest (because of the wind, of course) and I felt the heater. But now I had a "bubble" on my back, between my body and the jacket, and didn't feel a thing. So, it's gonna be perfect with my old tight jacket ;-) I had my fleece jacket with me (in case something goes wrong), put it on, it pressed the liner to my body and it was almost perfect.
The vest has collar (there are vests without collar too), and it's heated too. Nice! Although, that caused some "disagreement" with my helmet. But not big deal.
My biggest "complain" was - it's vest, not jacket, so my arms were colder than the rest of my torso. As I said earlier, I wasn't cold, but next time I'll definitely buy a liner with heated arms.
And, the last "element": the controller. I got Gebring bluetooth temp controller for $25 - I think it's good deal ;) Since most of us already use their phone for GPS, music, hone calls... I think regulating the temp by phone is really convenient. You can see the temp level (0-10). Cons: If your phone runs out of juice, or you, God forbid, drop you phone in a puddle you just were crossing - you screwed. I think you can bypass the controller and hook up you gear directly to the outlet - but wasn't sure what will happen. And, of course, you have to have gloves you can use with your phone - it's common thee days, right?

So... I'm happy I bought it. I'm even MORE happy I bought it really cheap. I was happy and warm while riding. So I'm not going to be afraid of my next "traditional" January 2nd ride (current record is 14°F in 2015 - wasn't so much fun at all :) )

14F on Jan 2nd 2015.jpg

:D :D :D :D

If I missed something, if you have any question, please ask.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think you found out what some of the other sites say about heated clothing - it should be tight against your body or you won't feel the heat. Your post of where the heated elements are was interesting. My warm and safe has to be cranked up more than half way before I feel any heat in the upper arms.

Maybe I'll heat it up one of these days and take a pic of the jacket w/ an infrared camera. Might be interesting.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Ive been wearing a First Gear warm n safe heated jacket liner for about 3 years now, down to -1 degrees F. Love it. Wearing it over a mock turtleneck and under a textile jacket with quilted liner. Gets so hot I have to turn it down even in the teens and 20s. Also have Oxford heated grips with handlebar muffs and usually run them on 30-40 percent while wearing thin deerskin gloves. Like riding wrapped in an electric blanket I tell you.

Bike
2011 Honda NT 700
There is nothing worse, being cold and wet riding a frigging motorcycle!...At the BMW rally in Billings Montana they had a booth set up selling 'California Heat' electric gear. It was summertime and the temperature knocking at the mid Nineties so I didn't think too much about it..However..the next day we took a ride up and over the Beartooth Pass!..are you kidding me??.. permafrost and frozen lakes abound.. needless to say...when we got back down to the rally site I made a beeline for that booth and gladly plunked down $150 bucks or so and I have been kicking myself ever since for not doing this years ago... warm heat all over the arms neck and body....Loving it..

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I have W&S jacket, gloves and socks + dual remote controller. One thing you never hear from people using heated gear is buyer's regret. One thing you often hear is that they regret waiting so long to get it.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
If you use the heated gear then put the warm layers over the heated gear but under your outer wind proof jacket to keep the heat in. The secret to keeping warm is thickness.
If you have a thin jacket over the heated liner all the heat will blow away in the air stream.
If you put a fluffy down jacket/vest between the heated gear and your outer jacket it will push the heated gear closer to your body and hold in the heat.
Small details here will make a big difference.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
They key to heated gear is proper fit. W N S now has a heated base layer you can wear it with or without a shirt under it great piece of gear.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
If you put a fluffy down jacket/vest between the heated gear and your outer jacket it will push the heated gear closer to your body and hold in the heat.
Small details here will make a big difference.
If you need to do that then your gear doesn't fit right a wind/waterproof MC jacket and your liner over a long sleeve shirt should be all you need.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
If you need to do that then your gear doesn't fit right a wind/waterproof MC jacket and your liner over a long sleeve shirt should be all you need.
Re-read the first post carefully, Afan noted correctly that the heated gear was not very efficient with his set up. You are correct that your jacket should fit right. but What is a correct "fit".
For cold weather riding you need air space between the outer jacket and the heater otherwise the external air flow will steal the heat. To improve that air space I used the example of using a down vest because it is the most efficient. In practice a fleece vest would be enough. I use the down vest with out any heated gear and I am very comfortable at 32 F. Most riders make the mistake in buying tight fitting outer jackets. Your outer shell should be one or two sizes too big so that you can add extra layers in between as it gets colder. I do not use multiple thin layers, I use two medium layers (fleece) and then go one thick layer (down) as the temperature drops. it is simpler and very efficient. If you add my method to your heated gear you could go even colder, or you could lower the setting and be very comfy.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Correct fit is the heated gear should be as close to your body as possible with the base layer heated shirt that can be right up against your skin if you like or you can wear a t shirt under it with the heated liner they should be as close fitting as possible. The warm n safe waterproof heated liners shouldn't need anything over them as they are wind/waterproof.

Top Bottom