Works shock rebuild?

I heard works performance is closed due to the death of the owner and i was wondering if anyone knew where i can get parts at for their shocks now. I have a blown works shock and need to re seal it but don't know where to get the seal. Im also looking for a set of forks for a 1100 if someone has a rebuildable set, as mine have suffered from moronicitis (that's where a moron has worked on them in the past and ruined them).

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
You might check with Race Tech concerning a rebuild. We've had them rebuild (and upgrade) OEM Honda ST1300 and Ducati ST3 rear shocks.

OP
OP
Well according to racetech they have the seals but you need to know what type of shock you have. There are 2 types, one uses a oring and the other a actual seal mine is the oring type

OP
OP
Another option i found was https://www.schmidtyracing.com/default.asp . I don't know if all road racer shocks are 1/2 inch or not but mine is, and i can't stress it enough LET THE NITROGEN OUT OF THE BLADDER BEFORE REMOVING ANY PARTS. If you don't and your bladder is still good you will be replacing it cause it won't be anymore. With the bushings and seals as well as the nitrogen bladder, grand total for me to get the parts needed to fix my shock is only $83, well plus some good atf or fork oil.

Attachments

OP
OP
I also wanted to say that was one of the simplest jobs i have ever seen to get that shock apart. I was expecting a nightmare of hundreds of tiny incomprehensible parts that it would take me a month of sundays to figure out, but no, there's only 10? parts in the shock and it looks like it will go back together just as easy. It may need rebuilding more often than most but it's designed to be easy to do

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I need to send my works shock out for a rebuild, does race tech rebuild them or just sell the parts
Race Tech does the complete rebuild (and even returns the worn, replaced parts.) I'm not sure that the rear can be rebuilt "at home," due to the need to recharge the nitrogen.

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
I just use shop air in mine. The ones I have on my ZRX require 150psi. I can get it pretty close. Or go to a local bike shop.

OP
OP
Heck filling the nitrogen is the last thing i'm concerned with im more worried about getting the seals and the bladder for the nitrogen

OP
OP
Well that was one of the most irritating things i have ever done. Pulling the shock apart, cleaning the gunk out, and getting the new parts installed was easy, getting the dang thing bled properly was a PITA. You have to basically overfill the shock and bleed it using the piston side of the shock to force air out of the valve and trying to hold a oily shock while pumping a piston while the whole mess was sitting in a tray so i don't get oil all over my bench was, whew. But i persevered and got it done eventually, then i had to find someone that has a nitrogen compressor, which is again not as easy as it sounds. No one from here to corona CA (170 mi) has one and i can't ride it with less than 225 psi in the shock. I also needed to find someone with a spring compressor as the automotive type i have is too big to fit the spring on my shock. I wish i had pictures of the rebuild process but trying to do all that and hold a camera wasn't happening, once i get a actual shop i might try it again but right now i'm over it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Well that was one of the most irritating things i have ever done. Pulling the shock apart, cleaning the gunk out, and getting the new parts installed was easy, getting the dang thing bled properly was a PITA. You have to basically overfill the shock and bleed it using the piston side of the shock to force air out of the valve and trying to hold a oily shock while pumping a piston while the whole mess was sitting in a tray so i don't get oil all over my bench was, whew. But i persevered and got it done eventually, then i had to find someone that has a nitrogen compressor, which is again not as easy as it sounds. No one from here to corona CA (170 mi) has one and i can't ride it with less than 225 psi in the shock. I also needed to find someone with a spring compressor as the automotive type i have is too big to fit the spring on my shock. I wish i had pictures of the rebuild process but trying to do all that and hold a camera wasn't happening, once i get a actual shop i might try it again but right now i'm over it.
Well, pat yourself on the back for a tough job well done!

I wonder if a paintball shop's compressor would have worked for you. Or a high pressure bottle of nitrogen w/ a regulator.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I bought these from Rocky Mountain ATV/Motorcycle:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/731/47186/Tusk-Shock-Spring-Compressor

Lots of tire places are peddling nitrogen fill for your tires, among them Costco. I wonder if their equipment (regulator) could be adjusted far enough to provide the pressure needed for the shock?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Had a great phone call with Kent at Computrack - he called me rather than send an email. They have rebuilt very few Works shocks but he says they usually just need new oil and nitrogen. We also talked about Racetech stuff for the front ends of my ST1100s. When I get through with my current house project, I plan on carrying my Works Pro Racer and a set of front forks down to them and let they have a shot at it. It will be a while, but I'll let you know how it comes out.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Uncle Phil :

I installed a set of RaceTech Gold Valves and G.V. Emulators in my '98 non-ABS. It was a fairly easy job to perform. I bet you could handle it w/o a problem. RaceTech recommends straight-wound springs, BTW.

Also, are you planning to be at Moonshine this year ? I need a hug.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jim - Yes, I'm signed up to be at Moonshine. I'll be there for the Friday night dinner and the 'early' Saturday burger if all goes as planned so I should see you there and dispense a hug! ;-)
My plan is to ride down to Computrack and drop off one of my Works Shocks and a set of forks for them to work on for me when I can get some of my house renovations to a good spot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom