Thermometer

On 2006 T1300ABS there is a gauge for the outside temp. Can this be recalibrated?

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I think all bike and car thermometers give an indication of temp only. That is valuable in itself.

There are so many ambient temp variables; road surface, wind direction, speed... This is a challenge for any atmospheric temp measurement, on bike or elsewhere.

If the bike sensor were to be calibrated, the calibration couldn't deal with all conditions I would think. I use my temp gauge every ride, as an indication, very useful.

D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Duporth said:
If the bike sensor were to be calibrated, the calibration couldn't deal with all conditions I would think.
If calibration were a concern to me (assuming the factory 'calibration' isn't wildly off) I'd thing that static calibration would be good enough. I suppose you could put the control thermometer's sensor next to the ST's for comparison over different circumstances. I don't see how any of the mentioned variables would have any meaningful affect on initial calibration.

I've noticed that on the road my GW and ST buddies and I sometimes match 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 3 or 0 out of 3 bike temps. The most any of us have been off is maybe 2ºF. And that's not particularly meaningful. When it's hot it's hot...

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
One thing I noticed long ago on both my ST and the EB Expedition (to a lesser degree) is the ambient temperature displayed will nearly always be higher when stopped very long with the engine warmed up to three bars than it is after riding a block or two. Apparently a result of the radiant heat from the engine when not underway.
This may have something to do with some folks thinking the temp display needs to be calibrated.

Bike
2004 ST1300
One thing I noticed long ago on both my ST and the EB Expedition (to a lesser degree) is the ambient temperature displayed will nearly always be higher when stopped very long with the engine warmed up to three bars than it is after riding a block or two. Apparently a result of the radiant heat from the engine when not underway.
This may have something to do with some folks thinking the temp display needs to be calibrated.
Exactly what I have experienced (and expected) from watching my ST temp display. When riding from a cold start out of the garage and/or after riding a short distance it's pretty much spot on compared to the various ambient temp gauges around the homestead.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Mine appears accurate. If yours is off far enough that you feel a calibration is warranted, then maybe it is a faulty probe or ? I use mine for a very specific purpose, to see if the wetness of the road is going to potentially be ice, so riding around the freezing mark and hoping it is stays above 0 Celsius is important.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I had to replace the temp sensor in my Scion car. The sensor was only $12. Maybe the ST sensor is interchangeable with a Honda car sensor and is inexpensive...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I love that response....seriously!!!!
No questions as to motive or reason. No dire warnings if you do. No long-winded blah blah yada yada.
Short
Direct
Next!!!
The people have spoken. Curt answers will be it from now on. More free time for me; less understanding of why for everyone else.

--Mark

Top Bottom