Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loss of power/engine noise

Bike
    98 ABSII 2000 ABSII
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Loss of power/engine noise

On second thought check your battery terminals for tightness. It could be as simple as a loose connection.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    Bandit 1200S
    My Gallery

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, these will keep me busy the weekend! Hoping that it is just something simple like loose connections.

Bike
    1997, ST1100ABS
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Took me awhile to discover the sidestand switch was the issue on my bike. I had checked all my connections, and everything seemed to be in order. I would be riding along, it would hesitate, then a loud backfiring bang. As I mentioned above you can jump the two green wires just above the green connector under the left side panel after you determine if the sidestand switch is the issue.
    Last edited by kiltman; 12-07-2017 at 01:52 PM.

4. The Following User Likes This Post:

Might I suggest that you turn over the engine until it starts, and then shut it down and pull the individual spark plugs - the one(s) that are wet and smell of gas are your starting point

Bike
    ST1100W
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

See, it just goes to show......Kiltman with a real out of the ball park hit.
    Who would of thought of a sidestand switch fault, not saying it is, but who would of thought it.
    God bless all participants of this truly great forum. And I haven't even had a wee dram yet.
    Upt'North.

Bike
    1997, ST1100ABS
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Upt' North View Post
    See, it just goes to show......Kiltman with a real out of the ball park hit.
    Who would of thought of a sidestand switch fault, not saying it is, but who would of thought it.
    God bless all participants of this truly great forum. And I haven't even had a wee dram yet.
    Upt'North.
    Well last year in October on a holiday weekend I sat on the side of the road for two hours trying to find the fault. I thought it was my red wire main relay, then by accident I deployed the side stand in neutral and the bike would shut off. Fortunately I had a wiring diagram with me and was able to determine which wires I could jump. A few days prior this backfire/engine running rough intermitantly plagued me. I would pull the bike to the side of the road, strip off the tupperware put it back together and be good for awhile. ( I have an emergency wiring kit with various connectors for just an emergency) The issue has come up before on the forum.
    I'm curious if this is the same issue. In the meantime, I will sit back with a wee dram of Japanese whisky

Bike
    '98 ST1100
    My Gallery

BTW, I carry a spare side stand switch ( along with a spare ECU ) in my top box that I got cheap off EBay. That way, they will never need to be replaced.
    IBA #35372
    BBG 5-14

9. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    1997, ST1100ABS
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Van View Post
    BTW, I carry a spare side stand switch ( along with a spare ECU ) in my top box that I got cheap off EBay. That way, they will never need to be replaced.
    You could also replace them in rotation every year so you know in fact they are working, part of that preventative maintenance thing .... ( kiltman last scene ducking for cover) .... Bush....Bush....Bush.....

Bike
    00 ST1100/94 ST1100A
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Van View Post
    You learn something new here every day...the ST1100 has an ECU??
    Bob 2000 ST1100/1994 ST1100 ABS

Bike
    '98 ST1100
    My Gallery

Kiltman : Great idea !! Thank you !!

I have no idea if I bought a bad ECU ( Ignition Control Unit, or what I call an ECU ) or bad side stand switch. I declare to all on this Forum ( especially Mr. Bush ) that I will be switching them religiously ever spring ( to exercise them and to keep them both honest ) when I do most of my PM work.

Erdoc : Looks like Honda calls it an Ignition Control Module, but a CDI (??) for short. See : https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...00-a/cowl-stay ( Item #4 )
    However, in reference to Item #2, they call it a Spark Unit ( whatever ).

I got mine for $30 off EBay.
    Last edited by Jim Van; 12-08-2017 at 08:56 AM.

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast