Replacement horn relay kit question

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Looking at replacing the stock horn on my 2006 ST 1300. I've read thru most of the forum articles on horn replacement but still have one question - what relay kit do most of you use? I see lots of "add/install a relay" but I'd be interested in hearing what was used so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I used a simple $6.00 or 7.00 30 amp relay purchased at Napa or the like. The relay zip ties to a fairing stay (mount) above the OEM horn I brought fused 14 gauge wire to bring 12v from the battery to the relay and used the original horn positive to trigger the relay.

Edit to add I did this to power a set of Fiamm Blasters in place of the single OEM tooter.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
I've bought a Denali Mini Sound Bomb and am reliably informed that I do not require a relay. Time will tell and intend to fit in the next week or two. It says plug and play but I think some fairing cutting is going to be required. They are apparently quite loud.
I SAID THEY ARE APPARENTLY QUITE LOUD!
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Do add the relay, and use 14 ga wire for your power and ground leads. Even the stock horn is louder with bigger wire. The stock 18 ga is just too small.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Looking at replacing the stock horn on my 2006 ST 1300. I've read thru most of the forum articles on horn replacement but still have one question - what relay kit do most of you use? I see lots of "add/install a relay" but I'd be interested in hearing what was used so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!
Relay kit? Not sure what you're looking for, as most aftermarket horns come with a relay. All you need to add is wire from the battery (or unswitched post of the starter relay) to the horn and the other connection on the horn to a good ground (not to the battery).

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT

Thanks!
If you feel like a ride to Frisco, I have one in the drawer you can have and will help you install it. I'm off the next 5 days, come on down.

Or here is a good relay with the harness on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Ehdis-Pre-wired-Waterproof-Switches-Starters/dp/B01KH17WKM/ref=pd_day0_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BXC8GGS8P8WEV7CKT6X1

Here is a pretty good DIY instructional video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeKTlieYhw

Bike
2010 ST1300
Relay kit? Not sure what you're looking for, as most aftermarket horns come with a relay. All you need to add is wire from the battery (or unswitched post of the starter relay) to the horn and the other connection on the horn to a good ground (not to the battery).
The Fiamms and a couple of other aftermarket horns are sold without a relay. Making the two connections as you described will toot the horn as long as you keep the wires connected. There is no switch in your circuit.

I used a generic auto (12 volt, 20 amp)relay and fastened it to the frame strut the old horn was connected to. My new Fiamms were mounted higher inside the frame piece just inboard of the mirror mount. Your wire from the battery (new fusebox in my case) goes to the relay power input contact, the power output went to the horn(s).
Horns are grounded and the relay's coil got the old wire from the horn button. Second relay coil terminal was grounded. I admit this might not be too clever. When the relay fails, I will have to remove the tupperware to get to it.

OP
OP
Tedbrogden

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
If you feel like a ride to Frisco, I have one in the drawer you can have and will help you install it. I'm off the next 5 days, come on down.

Or here is a good relay with the harness on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Ehdis-Pre-wired-Waterproof-Switches-Starters/dp/B01KH17WKM/ref=pd_day0_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BXC8GGS8P8WEV7CKT6X1

Here is a pretty good DIY instructional video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeKTlieYhw
Appreciate the offer and the info but too many commitments for the next several weeks to go anywhere.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not sure what you're looking for, as most aftermarket horns come with a relay.
I don't think so. I'd say some heavy duty types might like electro-compressor types but most don't in my experience.

I'd be interested in hearing what was used
A 'relay kit' generally refers to a wiring harness with connectors of some nature and fuse and relay maybe even a switch. But most of that is an easy DIY. A good quality relay like a Bosch will bear the weather better. An inline fuse holder and some hookup wire and some connectors and a crimper. You get a custom 'fit' without a ton of wire left over and save some money. DIY is my recommendation.

Top Bottom