Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement horn relay kit question

Bike
    2006 Honda ST 1300
    My Gallery

Replacement horn relay kit question

Looking at replacing the stock horn on my 2006 ST 1300. I've read thru most of the forum articles on horn replacement but still have one question - what relay kit do most of you use? I see lots of "add/install a relay" but I'd be interested in hearing what was used so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Replacement horn relay kit question

I used a simple $6.00 or 7.00 30 amp relay purchased at Napa or the like. The relay zip ties to a fairing stay (mount) above the OEM horn I brought fused 14 gauge wire to bring 12v from the battery to the relay and used the original horn positive to trigger the relay.

Edit to add I did this to power a set of Fiamm Blasters in place of the single OEM tooter.
    Last edited by dduelin; 12-07-2017 at 11:54 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Bike
    ST1100W
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I've bought a Denali Mini Sound Bomb and am reliably informed that I do not require a relay. Time will tell and intend to fit in the next week or two. It says plug and play but I think some fairing cutting is going to be required. They are apparently quite loud.
    I SAID THEY ARE APPARENTLY QUITE LOUD!
    Upt'North.

Bike
    2015 NC700 DCT
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Do add the relay, and use 14 ga wire for your power and ground leads. Even the stock horn is louder with bigger wire. The stock 18 ga is just too small.
    George
    "Live Every Moment,,, Love Every Day,,, Because,,, Before you know it,,, Your Precious Time Slips Away... ---REO Speedwagon, via ACL

Check my albums Picasa

Natural Rider Enhancement Blrfl's Avatar
    Bike
    Fast Blue One
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    The stock 18 ga is just too small.
    And lots of current through the horn switch is bad.

--Mark
    Wizzzzzzzzzzzz What's a Blrfl? ... Shameless plugs: STWiki

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Tedbrogden View Post
    Looking at replacing the stock horn on my 2006 ST 1300. I've read thru most of the forum articles on horn replacement but still have one question - what relay kit do most of you use? I see lots of "add/install a relay" but I'd be interested in hearing what was used so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!
    Relay kit? Not sure what you're looking for, as most aftermarket horns come with a relay. All you need to add is wire from the battery (or unswitched post of the starter relay) to the horn and the other connection on the horn to a good ground (not to the battery).

The Older I Get ... The Better I Was

'03 ST1300A (The one with the faST black wheels)

Bike
    2015 BMW K1600GT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Tedbrogden View Post

Thanks!
    If you feel like a ride to Frisco, I have one in the drawer you can have and will help you install it. I'm off the next 5 days, come on down.

Or here is a good relay with the harness on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Ehdis-Pre-wir...S8P8WEV7CKT6X1

Here is a pretty good DIY instructional video

Good info

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Relay kit? Not sure what you're looking for, as most aftermarket horns come with a relay. All you need to add is wire from the battery (or unswitched post of the starter relay) to the horn and the other connection on the horn to a good ground (not to the battery).
    The Fiamms and a couple of other aftermarket horns are sold without a relay. Making the two connections as you described will toot the horn as long as you keep the wires connected. There is no switch in your circuit.

I used a generic auto (12 volt, 20 amp)relay and fastened it to the frame strut the old horn was connected to. My new Fiamms were mounted higher inside the frame piece just inboard of the mirror mount. Your wire from the battery (new fusebox in my case) goes to the relay power input contact, the power output went to the horn(s).
    Horns are grounded and the relay's coil got the old wire from the horn button. Second relay coil terminal was grounded. I admit this might not be too clever. When the relay fails, I will have to remove the tupperware to get to it.

11. The Following User Likes This Post:

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 Honda ST 1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If you feel like a ride to Frisco, I have one in the drawer you can have and will help you install it. I'm off the next 5 days, come on down.

Or here is a good relay with the harness on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Ehdis-Pre-wir...S8P8WEV7CKT6X1

Here is a pretty good DIY instructional video

Appreciate the offer and the info but too many commitments for the next several weeks to go anywhere.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast