Headlight aiming on an ST1100

Bike
ST1100
Can anyone point me to a good, technical article / process / sequence for aiming the headlights on an ST1100?

I've just installed the Evitek LED Headlight Bulbs for Cars Motorcycles- Hi/Lo Beam H4 9003- Plug n Play, 40W 6500K Pure White OSRAM Chip LED Bulbs.

Thanks in advance,
Extemp.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
For me an actual ride in darkness works better than anything else, but maybe you're weather challenged so looking for something that doesn't involve riding the bike? Or are you talking about using shims/etc. to adjust the aim left/right in addition to the up/down already available with the adjustment knob?

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100
I am lucky enough to be Canadian and still riding, but in the past thought I'd seen a technical approach and spec's. I agree that the final analysis the road test will trump all else.

Regards,
Extemp.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
It would still be reassuring to know, for the ST1100, what thickness of H4 adapter is required for the best beam focus. Probably want to replicate to filament placement of the OEM bulb.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use a parking lot to aim my headlights. I'll pull up behind a parked car. I get 20 or 30 feet back and use the headlight adjuster to raise it until I see the top of the beam pattern at the trunk level, but not shining into the car at the rear view mirror or so low that it is only illuminating the bumper. If it's blinding anyone, I turn it down.

Individual placement will be dependent on a lot of variables. I found that I have only had to adjust it when loaded with pillion and gear. I can usually do this at the first couple stop lights of the trip.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It would still be reassuring to know, for the ST1100, what thickness of H4 adapter is required for the best beam focus. Probably want to replicate to filament placement of the OEM bulb.
To know the exact thickness you'd have to know where any given LED places its 'filaments' compared to the original bulbs. Since none of these are DOT approved that placement probably varies among manufacturers which means the thickness may vary. Or in some cases it may be too close compared to the halogen placement and any adapter would be too thick.

Practically speaking your best bet is to keep checking on what LEDs seem to work best in the 1100 and assume the adapter will negatively affect efficiency to some degree and see if it's acceptable to you. My guess is if a particular LED is found to focus exactly the same is factory that a shim/adaptor won't make a significant difference.

There is at least one LED on the market that for an extra fee will be supplied with a base that fits our NA ST and doesn't require any modding as with an H-4 LED and doesn't need the shim/adapter. Whether or not this places the LEDs in the same plane as factory IDK.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Same headlight aiming question here re OEM bulbs.

If you are on a level surface with bike on center stand is there a standard measurement, say headlight is 20' from wall then beam cutoff should be 42" high, type of thing.

Bike
R1200rt
pull up on my driveway 30/40 feet and aim at the garage door, at night off course :thumb: but it seems when I check the hi beam it's too high

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
All these static measurements don't take into account the actual suspension sag while riding.
The best way remains riding at night and adjusting according to actual vision needs.
I'm with AL ST1100 If the low beam is set right for me the high beam seems a bit high when used.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'm with AL ST1100 If the low beam is set right for me the high beam seems a bit high when used.
+1. I didn't really notice this until I switched to LEDs.

Top Bottom