ST1100 Bar Riser Options

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I have decided that I am going to get some bar risers for my ST1100. From what I have been reading, there are a few ways to achieve this.

Heli-Bars, Bar risers like Gen-Mar, or Honda Police Bar Risers

Does the plastic cover still work with the GenMar or Honda Police Risers?

I am trying to decide which way to go....Pros-Cons and/or your experiences with each are appreciated.

Thanks.
Jim

number9

Jason
STOC #
If the bar cover is a 95- it bolts to the handlebar and will move up with the bar, but you will have a deep hole to put the key in the ignition.

If the bar cover is 96+ it bolts to the triple clamp and will stay as it is now, they key/ignition interface will be the same, but you will need to trim/cut the "ears" off the barcover to allow the bars to raise. See my webshots albums below for pics of my bars & cover - mine is trimmed.

I didn't want a lot of rise for the bars, so I went with the Police risers. The "flip-clip" mod gives the same amount of rise and is cheaper, but I think the Police risers is a more robust way of doing it. There are many bikes out there with the "flip-clip" mod and those guys will swear by it, I just like the Police riser approach better and feel it would be the better way to go, so that is the way I went. Again, check my albums for pics.

OP
OP
Gymbo

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Are replacement brake/clutch lines needed for HeliBars? I have never had this clarified.

I have a 1991 ST1100, so no ABS to worry about.

number9: I saw your pics, which is what made me consider doing the Police risers. Great pics. You have a lot of cool mods on your bike.

Thanks
Jim

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Jim:

You won't need longer lines, but you'll probably have to re-route the brake line. This is easy though, and can be done without disconnecting the line. Just remove the brake lever from the master cylinder, remove the master cylinder from the bar, and feed it through so you get more slack on the brake hose. It'll be obvious when you do it.

JReviere

R.I.P. - 2011/03/07
Rest In Peace
STOC #
meyerweb said:
Jim:

You won't need longer lines, but you'll probably have to re-route the brake line. This is easy though, and can be done without disconnecting the line. Just remove the brake lever from the master cylinder, remove the master cylinder from the bar, and feed it through so you get more slack on the brake hose. It'll be obvious when you do it.

And I've found even more slack by removing the brake hose clamp where it attaches the hose to the fork cross member above the fender.

I tried 'em all on the 3 ST1100's I owned. HeliBars are BEST... toss the trim piece on the shelf in case you choose to sell the bike later... sell bike and accessories SEPARATELY for maximum $$ return.

JR
03ST1300A

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Those look nice. Give them a try and let us know.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
would this affect the key position?
Nope, the bars will be more out of the way with those. See the pic above.:)
That is not an ST but the key location is common.

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Fox makes a riser that uses the stock bars. It can be adjusted for all up or all back and in between. Of course there are limits to the length of the cables and hoses and tank shelter interference. They are available for the 7/8" dia. in 2 different riser lengths. Cost about $90. They are more commonly used on dual sport bikes. Haven't tried them personally but appear to be good quality. Longer cables were fitted to the 1100P bikes. I'll try to find the part numbers. Jim

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Well if you're up on using the dremel and have some light plastic that you can bend with a heat gun. Get with a group that is up on Honda decals so you can get you're wings you can modify the stock cover as I did for my 97. These are Heli's with stock cables.

Cheers....ride safe ;)

Attachments

I removed a set of risers from the ST I bought. I don't want them. The stock rise is enough for me and I hate that I can't use the factory plastic to cover the bars with these risers. Anyway, I'll sell to anyone who is interested. Will provide photos upon request.

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I put straight 2" risers (from TT as well) on my ST1100. They brought the bars back and up and it really improved the ride position for me.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I've got 3" or riser under HeliBars, which is about 6" of total rise... all with the same hoses and cables. The throttle and brake line needed to be rerouted.

I'd actually like another inch or so of rise, since a lot of my height is torso length, I'm pretty high up over the tank. If I go any higher, I will want to replace the brake, clutch and throttle lines with something at least a couple inches longer than stock.

I have a similar pair fitted which I purchased from ebay listed as Universal Pullback Handlebar Risers 30mm Up, 35mm Back.Installing them I removed the plastic and painted the bars,risers and tree with black then rerouted the pipework.

Top Bottom