ST1100 Bar Riser Options

I just welded me a new set of 7/8" bars, the height I want the drawback I want and narrower. Perfect! cost about $15. Had to weld in a bit inside the ends and tap threads to take the bar end weights!. Snodger!

Bike
92 ST1100
I just welded me a new set of 7/8" bars, the height I want the drawback I want and narrower. Perfect! cost about $15. Had to weld in a bit inside the ends and tap threads to take the bar end weights!. Snodger!
some REAL downunderingenuity..........:beer3:

Bike
Vstrom 650
I had risers on my cb500s which I just transferred to the st1100, they rise the bars by 30mm they also move the bars closer because of the angle of the clamp,I got rid of the cover which I didint like anyway and will just reinstall it if I ever sell the bike, the risers are originally for a ttr250 but fit the honda perfectly,they come with longer hex bolts, got them from juhttp://www.ttr250.com/TTR_extras/index#30mm_handlebar_risers_st ?24 plus postage,
wrapped the wires in plastic,bit rough looking I suppose but it does the job

Attachments

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You can usually use the cover with most risers except the 'key hole' is so much deeper. Anything over 1 inch means you would need to make an 'extended' key. The flip clip mod gives about 1 inch rise and the key is still usuable with the cover on it.

Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Don't laugh...I suffer from tall guy disease!
Risers on risers...this is as high as I could go w/o custom hydro lines!
Bottom ones came with my bike...not sure who makes em?
Top ones are just generic 7/8" bar risers...30mm if I remember right??

Attachments

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
BMW K100/K75 LT bars fit easily and cost around $15 on ebay. They give about a 3" kick back and up. Re-route the cables and hoses, no disconnection needed.

Bike
2016 VFR1200X
ST1100A Flip Clip Mod with Pics

Many thanks to Uncle Phil for sending me instructions on completing this mod. I was not sure it would work on
the ABS ST1100, but he assured me the brake lines were long enough. Any more rise than this would require
longer brake lines which would mean removal of hydraulic lines and bleeding the brakes... more work than I wanted
to get into.

Download PDF version here.

I did the flip clip mod on my 2002 ST1100A and reinstalled the cover as well. No brake lines were disconnected.
No fairings were removed. Total time for project was just over 3 weeks (shipping time included from RonAyers.com).
Actual assembly was done in about 90 minutes start to finish.

I ordered four longer bolts from RonAyers.com - M8x60, then picked up four metric washers per bolt from my local
hardware store to add some additional rise. I also ordered two new top clips from RonAyers.com, part numbers shown
below. Final assembly instructions from the Honda service manual said to torque to 20 ft lbs (this number is not
guaranteed to be accurate, look it up yourself).

The front brake handle and reservoir was removed from the handlebar and the two electrical wires unplugged. No
hydraulic lines were removed. This front brake assembly was pushed down under the triple tree with the front wheel
turned all the way to the left, then back up the top of the triple tree on the left side. Then the front wheel was centered
and the brake lever assembly moved back across the top the of triple tree and installed back on the handlebar. See
the gallery link below for the pics.

Parts ordered:
(4) 95701-08060-02 BOLT, FLANGE (8X60)
(2) 53131-HB6-000 HLDR, HANDLE (UPPER)

Local Hardware store parts:
(16) washers to fit the metric bolts mentioned above, 4 per bolt
(2) 90 degree brackets to hold bottom of handlebar cover (see PDF)
(1) velcro strip to attach the film container to the handlebar cover
(1) roll of film for the film container, actually I had one lying around so didn't have to buy that :)

Check out all the pics in my gallery.

New clips installed with longer bolts and washers below.

Cover reinstalled for a stock look.

Last edited:
Bike
2016 VFR1200X
Re: ST1100A Flip Clip Mod with Pics

Although the weather has been less than ideal this year, I have managed to put a few miles on the bike since doing the flip clip mod. I can't say that it has made a huge difference, but the difference is noticeable nonetheless. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely do it. This is an easy mod that took me less than 2 hours start to finish on an ABS bike. If you have a non-ABS bike, it should go faster than that.

I did have some discomfort in my right shoulder on longer rides previous to the mod, but haven't noticed any discomfort at all since the mod. There is also less pressure on my hands and wrist as I no longer lean over my handlebars as much. If you have been thinking of risers, give this inexpensive mod a try and report back here.

Bike
92 ST1100

IMHO.......way too many joining connections on what I've seen. One piece risers replacing the stock mount altogether is the way to go, IMO. sampson-sporttouring.com has the ones that are spot-on. Have a set i'm not using as I put a set of Heli-Bars(4yrs.ago prior to there discontinuing)and wanna keep at this time. They come in three differnt lengths. the 3" lenght i have, just required running the brake mastercyl./lever assembly UNDER the top tripple clamp with bars turned to left to feed it up through. Surprised in all these years that no-one here I've seen here has not come across these. they make several aftermarket farkles for the ST 11 and 13's. BTW, the only reason for removal resulted in my bike high-siding to avoid a T-bone @50mph, and folded the right side bar, of course along with other damage plus a few stitches and pavement rash(bike went 325ft. on down the road and I went 132ft...mostly through the air from what i was told). Of course, bike all fixed and repainted a more visible pearl-white with a dustin' of red-pearl.

Bike
2016 VFR1200X

Brant, the one piece risers look nice, but according to the website (www.sampson-sporttouring.com) "All ABS models require longer hoses".

With this 'slight' mod, all that is required on the ABS model is some rerouting of the hoses.
This is a small rise only, and probably about as high as can be attained without modification
to hoses. In my mod, I used Honda parts, so the new (longer) bolts are Honda p/n's.

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #

Just to throw another brand name in the pot ROX bar risers are working great for me.
I got them off Amazon they are adjustable in two areas, 2 inch rise and cables worked fine.

:bow1:Just installed a pair of one inch risers from motorcycle larry on my 2001 st1100 abs.The install is easy, just have to reroute the brake and clutch lines.If you would go more than one inch you would need longer hoses. Reworked the plastic housing to make it fit for the stock look.Easier on the wrist but yet retains the sport touring feel.

OP
OP
Gymbo

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Can someone help me identify these bar risers?

They came on my current ST1100...I took them off the day after I bought it.

Whilst changing the fork oil I thought I'll do the homemade 35mm brass handlebar risers, so here it is. Very happy with the new riding position.
I also modified ignition barrel depth, which is below (note 35mm = 1 3/8")

Remove 3 safety torx screws from plastic base of the ignition and remove assembly carefully
(clean and regrease when assembling)

Used Tef-Gel www.tefgel.com.au when assembling as it is a galvanic corrosion eliminator & anti seize lubricant, about $35 for 30 grams.

Cheers
Dave

Bike
95' ST11
I have the Rox 2" risers. You can use the stock bars (7/8") and they allow 2 ranges of adjustment; the risers rock forward and back and the bars rotate up and down. I'm 5'10" and this provided me a near perfect riding position. Installed on my '95 ST1100ABS there was no need to get longer lines. I just re-routed the brake line over the triple clamp as described in this forum. The clutch line still has plenty of slack, but the throttle cables are at their limit. I ordered the risers on Amazon for $79 with free shipping. I can't speak to the plastic cover issue, as I took mine off and left it off. I never liked the Honda Civic vibe it gave me. IMHO the bike looks far better without the cover.

Top Bottom