St1100 Total Restoration

After the introduction and amazing welcome from community it is time to share what i have been doing for the last couple of weeks.. This will not be educational since it i am learning my self but it may still help someone somehow. Feel free to ask or comment... If you spend enough time and afford you fill find the answers you are looking for and most of of the questions in my head were answered thorough this forum. So thanks in advance.

Purchased this bike from local shop,sitting almost for 2 years. Tried to start..no go..

Attachments

OP
OP
Error85
So project starts..

Starting with seat,tank cover,plastic covers, gas tank and carb.

7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

I remember previous owner saying 'never had oil leak issue'

12.jpg

Take care of carbs later..
13.jpg14.jpg
Removed rear tire,shaft,swing arm..
15.jpg

It was easy so far.Removing the engine was a bit of a challenge. What did was i kept the bike on center stand and kept front wheel on for easy movement. Loosened every bolts.Supported the engine from bottom with jack,removing the bolts,support arms and then just lifting chassis.
16.jpg
There is no turning back now :)

17.jpg
Removed meter area as a whole and kept wiring still connected together as much as i can.Finally removed forks and stand
18.jpg
Engine will be dealt later
19.jpg
Starting with the notorious swing arm. I was lucky this one was not that bad(but it was worse than the fist picture)First thing i did was power washing.Then paint remover with wire brush. I have sandblast gun,it is not industrial type but works fine. After sandblasting also used rust converter around tiny areas. Result was satisfactory.
21.jpg22.jpg

Did pretty much the same thing for chassis,support brackets,stands but with a lot more sanding. It is a tiring and time consuming process. After all this done i used gray anti rust paint as primer, acrylic for base coat and than clear coat..Clean and shiny.
23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg26.jpg32.jpg33.jpg33-1.jpg27.jpg28.jpg29.jpg30.jpg

Getting back to engine.. Apart from oil leak from almost everywhere, %30 of the hoses were either cracked or about to crack,same with rubber parts.
35.jpg
Starting with front. Something is not right here..
36.jpg37.jpg37-1.jpg
Moving on..
38.jpg

Seems to me rings don't do their job well..
39.jpg
Same with valve seals..Ant thoughts?
39-1.jpg
Keeping things organized
39-2.jpg
40.jpg41.jpg42.jpg44.jpg45.jpg46.jpg47.jpg
So far..
47-2.jpg

Piston cleaning. I soaked them with home use oil-grease remover,and cleaned with wiremesh and little bit of toothbrush. Took app.20min each.Pain was to get in ring areas.Used old rings to clean.Result was satisfactory..

48.jpg50.jpg51.jpg
52.jpg53.jpg

So now engine disassembly is complete
55.jpg
It is time to inspect all the parts and start making a list of what is needed. But before that have the pistons and bores measured by a shop..
49.jpg56.jpg57.jpg
Well,two of the pistons were ok but the other two were just around service dimensions. After discussion we decided to go with 0.25 pistons,0.25 rings, new piston pins and honing..Checked the prices online that night and survived the heart attack with a empty pocket. What i do is list the parts i need with their part numbers,find all the sites that sell worldwide,compare their prices and shipment cost,then order each part accordingly. Still costs a lot..
That is where i am at now. Waiting for parts to arrive,started working on brakes..
I now this is going a bit fast but until now i have 300+pics and editing them takes time but i ll keep you posted..

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Error, I take my woolly hat off to you. You don't do things by half.
I think you'll get lucky with the engine parts because there are shelves full of them due to very few 1100's ever being rebuilt.
If you struggle try CMS in the NL they seem to stock just about everything.
Keep us posted.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I doff my chapeau as well! That is an undertaking. I hope you got an excellent price on that fixer-upper.

I don't know what thought you've given to paint or if it's far too soon to even think about that. If you've thought about it will you stick with a factory color or do something custom?

Looking forward to pics of your project as you move along if you have the time! Good luck.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Looks like you are having more than your share of fun !!

How many miles on the bike ? Must be a lot of miles, or the oil wasn't changed as often as it should have been.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Looks like you've got yourself a ballgame there Error85 - quite the task! :bow1:

Please keep this thread going. As others have said - this is fascinating because so very few people have ever been inside an ST engine. Well, stick at it, be methodical (you clearly are) and you will get that beautiful old gal running again!

Pete

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow! You are to be commended for taking on such a project and thank you for posting it here. Really love all the pics... these are parts we normally don't get to see out in the wild.

I'm really looking forward to reading about and seeing your progress!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
You have some serious skills! Once done though, you’ll have a really nice bike of which you can be proud (that you did all that work). I did the belt and hoses and thought that was a decent undertaking- yours takes it to a whole new level. Good luck on reasssembly- hope you’re on the road soon.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I, too, am impressed. I've been that far in but never to the point of reassembly. Sold all the parts "as is" and moved on from there. I've also swapped or helped swap two engines, many alternators, and several timing belts. And alternators! Lost count on those.Best wishes for a complete mission. May I suggest SSM (Sparkling Silver Metallic) for the paint. Check the 91 color catalogue.

<edit, add> Carbs: most likely the low speed jets clogges, 'specially after setting for 2 years. Also check carefully the rubbed diaphragms on the slides. There is an outfit in England who can provide new ones but I don't have the info readily available but Google can find it. More work. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Error85
Thank you all for your comments, they boost me up.. Bought it for 1700€. Don't know the prices over there (probably lower) but it is kind of cheap here considering the size and class. Its around 168.000 km or that is what the meter says. It was sitting for the last two years but it seems she didn't get the care she deserved before that either. She clearly ran with bad oil and its everywhere. It seems the owner used her to her last breath and i can tell block and trans was not touched before.
About the color,actually i have been thinking about it since the first time i saw it. Current color supposed to be NH359m Black Metallic but it doesn't even have a clear coat on it.She suffered a very bad paint job. I always like to keep things original but I googled some pics,even photoshoped some colors for my liking and in the end,i really like that cherry red. But there is still time for that..

[h=2]11.jpg[/h]HONDA ST1100 93.jpgIMG_0010.jpg

Attachments

OP
OP
Error85
Thank you all for your comments, they boost me up.. Bought it for 1700€. Don't know the prices over there (probably lower) but it is kind of cheap here considering the size and class. Its around 168.000 km or that is what the meter says. It was sitting for the last two years but it seems she didn't get the care she deserved before that either. She clearly ran with bad oil and its everywhere. It seems the owner used her to her last breath and i can tell block and trans was not touched before.
About the color,actually i have been thinking about it since the first time i saw it. Current color supposed to be NH359m Black Metallic but it doesn't even have a clear coat on it.She suffered a very bad paint job. I always like to keep things original but I googled some pics,even photoshoped some colors for my liking and in the end,i really like that cherry red. But there is still time for that..

11.jpg

HONDA ST1100 93.jpgIMG_0010.jpg
Btw my first package arrived today but i still have to wait for pistons and rings to move on..

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
That is one worn and beaten looking bike. Great project, never seen an ST torn down to bits and pieces like that and from the look of things so far it will be like new when you're finished. Look forward to more updates.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
The supplier for the carb. bits mentioned earlier....
http://www.nrp-carbs.com
NRP Carbs and Diaphragms, Unit 2, Station Approach, Victoria Station, Manchester, M3 1NY
Non-UK/European, Viton bowl seal/float valve+seat/MJ#128/PJ#38/jet needle/emulsion tube/pilot mixture screw etc/drain screw/choke plunger can be swapped to... Euro spec MJ# 125 and #40 Pilot jet. Kits were £32.00 per carb + tax! Can also supply Float Bowl Seals at £6.00 each + tax. and Main Diaphragms at £34.00 each + tax, re-fitted to original slides.
Inlet carb. stubs are also available.

Hope that helps....

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Error, quite impressive! This will be a fun thread to watch, keep the posts coming when you can.

OP
OP
Error85
Thank you very much for all your comments,means a lot.

I started working on the brakes this weekend. It was a slow and tiring process but i am happy with the results..
58.jpg60.jpg

Gave them a good cleaning then took them all apart..
59.jpg61.jpg

Cleaning before-after.Notice the rusted bolts, soaked them in rust remover chemical for 20 min and that is it.
62.jpg63.jpg

But not the same for aluminium. Used my home made sandblaster box ;)
64.jpg65.jpg66.jpg

All calipers are cleaned and ready for paint. While searching online for a decent caliper paint, found this Foliatec ,there are many colors to choose,decided to go with 'silber metallic' It has brake cleaner,paint and hardener inside.It says brush on the caliper,i tested in a small area end up spraying all with paint gun.Brush leaves marks i don't like. Anyway color is good for me but we will see how it reacts to first drop of dot 4..
68.jpg70.jpg

Used acrylic based paint and clear coat on bolts..
71.jpg

Now rest of the parts.I used wheel paint with clear coat on top..
72.jpg73.jpg

Results..
74.jpg75.jpg76.jpg77.jpg

well..i feel joy just looking at them ;)

Top Bottom