St1100 Total Restoration

OP
OP
Error85
Error :

You are missing the timing belt guide plate on the left camshaft gear !! See Item #15 here : https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1998/st1100-a/front-cover

BTW, I installed one on the end of the right gear also - better than OEM now !!
Thank you all and thank you Jim for noticing that, i have it plated and will install it with front cover after everything is else complete. Need to check all in the end and it is easier to see punch marks or the index lines this way.(I should write more about the pictures)

221.jpg

OP
OP
Error85
Yesterday i found a chance to work on the bike but i need help with the camshafts. I think i am doing something wrong here..

I installed timing belt and pulleys as shown in the manual:

222.jpg

Confusion starts here: There are two marks on the camshafts,one is index line the other is index punch. When the T1 mark aligns with the index mark on the crankcase i installed RH camshafts with the index lines pointing out,no problem..Now, do i install the LH camshaft at the same position(T1) with index marks pointing out like shown on the first picture or i install the LH camshaft at the T4 point with index lines pointing out? From what i understand with the manual it should be the second one but when i do that cyl#4 exhaust camshaft touches and pushes the follower just a bit and i can't measure with feeler gauge. What i am missing here??

223.jpg 224.jpg

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
follow the picture, the left cam uses the punch marks for alignment, not the index lines.

In the T1 crank alignment configuration you have the #1 cyl (right side) at TDC, so the left cam is going to possibly compress some of its valves, that is normal, those cylinders are not at TDC.

edit: read your post again and are you saying that when you do the normal valve clearance check you are at less than zero?

Remember, if you did the T4 timing instead of the procedure in the book, there are two T4 crank revolutions for one cam revolution, perhaps you put the cam in using the wrong T4. Go with the book procedure, you can't go wrong with that because there's only one orientation where everything lines up as illustrated.

Last edited:

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
re:

"Also check carefully the rubbed diaphragms on the slides"

I have a set of 4 very nearly new diaphragms that I could let go for a very reasonable price!

Just let me know if you need and want them.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
So, how's the restoration coming along? Any new updates?

OP
OP
Error85
Been really busy at the office for a while and it was really cold,had to slow down the project but things are going back to normal.So this weeks update..

About the valve clearance, it seems everything was normal i was just making a simple measurement mistake that i am not going to talk about :D

Anyway finished up and installed the covers..

225.jpg 226.jpg

Put the frame on..

227.jpg 228.jpg

Front suspension.Did not remove the tubes just the spring and dust seals..

229.jpg 230.jpg 231.jpg

Cleaned with wire wheel..

232.jpg 233.jpg

Front abs sensor cable was rusted and broke while removing it,that is something to worry about..

235.jpg

Painted with epoxy primer..
234.jpg 236.jpg 237.jpg

Epoxy base and clear coat..

238.jpg 239.jpg

Swing arm..

240.jpg

And this is all for now.

242.jpg 241.jpg 243.jpg

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi Error - this looks like a superb job you've done! I can't wait to here that old gal come back to life - please have a video going when you hit the starter button.

There is another Forum member restoring an ST1100 ABS and he had big problems that the ABS system - but he worked very hard at it and actually solved a problem which many ST1100 folks seem to have. You might want to read over his thread and see if you find any solutions (I am confident that you'll find inspiration!). The thread is called ST1100-Gift-Part2 and his name is Dean:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?158527-ST1100-Gift-Part-2&highlight=

Cheers,

Pete

OP
OP
Error85
Hi Error - this looks like a superb job you've done! I can't wait to here that old gal come back to life - please have a video going when you hit the starter button.

There is another Forum member restoring an ST1100 ABS and he had big problems that the ABS system - but he worked very hard at it and actually solved a problem which many ST1100 folks seem to have. You might want to read over his thread and see if you find any solutions (I am confident that you'll find inspiration!). The thread is called ST1100-Gift-Part2 and his name is Dean:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?158527-ST1100-Gift-Part-2&highlight=

Cheers,

Pete
Thanks Pete, that is very similar to what i've been going through. And now i am scared of ABS:eek:: .Unfortunately,i will probably end up buying a front sensor..

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looking GOOD!

You're doing one heck of a job on that!

Keep up the good work! :hat3:

OP
OP
Error85
This weeks update..

I was about to complete the alignment of the engine-swing arm and then this. Seems po fell on both sides and bend the guards(That was why the plastic guard was in the rear case,he couldn't fit it anymore). I saw this when i removed them but totally forgot.:-| Now have to repaint.

244.jpg

And if i remember correctly that is the bolt that was there and surprisingly i can not find it locally here anywhere so i ordered it along with some other stuff and now have to wait for at least 3 weeks. In the mean time i will try to heat and make it straight again.The guard heated and brought back to shape. Quick question : I tried to align the U shaped end part horizontal to the engine/ground,is this correct? Because the left side also does not fit and it is looking weirdly tilted.
245.jpg 246.jpg

I am planing to get the bike off the table before it gets too heavy so started working on steering, suspensions and wheels..

Gave it a good clean and paint.
250.jpg 251.jpg 252.jpg

Replaced the bearings but those are not original. Old ones are ball type,those are needle. Fits perfectly but i am not sure about the difference, better or worse..

253.jpg 254.jpg 255.jpg256.jpg

Moved to the rear shock. Have the spring removed and bushings replaced at a local shop. Inspected,cleaned and painted.Ready to be fitted.

247.jpg 248.jpg 249.jpg

Wheels.. I used paint remover before on one of them it was real pain and didn't wanted to do it with the other one so i took it to a shop for sand blasting.But the guy suggested it would be better to have the paint removed chemically .He was afraid of the surface quality and warping because of the heat. Sent me to a chemical guy and i got it back one hour later. I was very pleased with the result.Sanded with 800grid to remove those rough spots and they came right off.

261.jpg 262.jpg 263.jpg

Painted with acrylic primer. I was out of grey color but i had white also and white looks nice on the wheels..:)
264.jpg 265.jpg 266.jpg

Painted with Motip silver wheel can paint and clear coated with spray gun. I never use clear coat cans on the parts that are exposed to sun,dirt etc. They are not half strong as the regular clear coats,plus spray quality is much better with a gun. Result is satisfactory i will sand and buff later(just a little) ..

267.jpg 268.jpg

Now about the forks. After removing them (couple of weeks ago) pumped and cleaned with brake caliper spray.Spray was coming out from the anti dive side. Then they stayed upside down for days.

After reading-researching on the forums decided to go with 7.5w. Started with the right side.

The manual says for the right fork: CBS/LBS-ABS/TCS models 530.5 to 535.5cc
Oil level 140mm
Installed that anti dive part at the bottom,removed spring etc as described in the manual.Poured around 532g in to the fork (that is without the cup,took tare) and pumped the fork like the manual says but in the end it stayed exactly at 5 cm below the top.
.257.jpg 258.jpg
Then i attached my rc plane fuel pump to a caliper and set it to 140mm. Pumped the excessive oil back to the cup and it was 82,3g. (the cup is 90.6g) So there is around 450g of oil stayed in the fork.
259.jpg 260.jpg

Question: This is my first time working on a fork.I was expecting a little difference between the oil capacity and oil level adjustments but isn't it too much? 10cm level and 82g of oil difference? Is this normal or there is something wrong with the process? Didn't i flush properly? Will move to the right side accordingly..

Now that i am looking at the picture it is above 600ml?? Will check that tomorrow.

Erkan

Last edited:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Following along with great admiration of your skills and attention to detail.
I want to do this kind of work on a bike (yet to be purchased) and watching you work is inspirational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The manual says for the right fork: CBS/LBS-ABS/TCS models 530.5 to 535.5cc
Oil level 140mm
Installed that anti dive part at the bottom,removed spring etc as described in the manual.Poured around 532g in to the fork (that is without the cup,took tare) and pumped the fork like the manual says but in the end it stayed exactly at 5 cm below the top.
.257.jpg 258.jpg
Then i attached my rc plane fuel pump to a caliper and set it to 140mm. Pumped the excessive oil back to the cup and it was 82,3g. (the cup is 90.6g) So there is around 450g of oil stayed in the fork.
259.jpg 260.jpg

Question: This is my first time working on a fork.I was expecting a little difference between the oil capacity and oil level adjustments but isn't it too much? 10cm level and 82g of oil difference? Is this normal or there is something wrong with the process? Didn't i flush properly? Will move to the right side accordingly..

Now that i am looking at the picture it is above 600ml?? Will check that tomorrow.

Erkan
Your mistake was using weight instead of volume because the specific gravity of fork oil isn't anywhere close to that of water, where weight would equal volume. Don't know the exact SG of fork oil, but somewhere around 0.85 like you found would seem reasonable. But since you corrected it by using the level method, you have it correct now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Error85
Thank you all for your wonderful comments. It is going slow but steady,so far i am happy with the result. Also thanks for bearing with my English :)

OP
OP
Error85
Update:

After working on the rear shock i took it to shop to assemble the spring and this is how i got it back. I got a little mad and painted the whole thing black.
269.jpg

Next, radiator. There was heavy corrosion on it and one of the leg was broken. Whole thing feels like a cardboard. Took it to a shop and welded. Cleaned and painted with heat resistant paint.

270.jpg 271.jpg 272.jpg 273.jpg

Thermostat..

274.jpg 275.jpg 276.jpg

Ignition..

277.jpg 278.jpg

Fuel lines.. Checked and cleaned hoses,replaced filter but not sure that petcock will work. Rubber deformed heavily.

279.jpg 280.jpg 281.jpg

OP
OP
Error85
Moving on to wiring harness.. Cleaned and removed corrosion best i can. Fixed some broken wires. Found this red wire and red plug with a fuse on it.Anyone knows where this red wire goes to? (first and third picture)

286.jpg 287.jpg 288.jpg

Speedometer cable was broken and the gear seemed to had some repair before but not working.Replaced the cable and ordered the gear.That will slow the project by 2 weeks since i cant install front wheel without it.

289.jpg 292.jpg 294.jpg

To remove the scratches on it,water sanded meter lens with 3000 grit and polished,looking much better..

290.jpg 291.jpg

Finally fixed the side guards,installed the engine to frame,installed new plugs,swing arm,shocks.

293.jpg296.jpg 295.jpg

Got new wheels but have to wait for that speed gear to install. It is starting to look like a bike :) but getting dangerously unstable on the bench.

282.jpg 297.jpg 298.jpg

To be continued..

Top Bottom