The New Goldwing

I was looking at Cycle Worlds review of this bike looking at the Specs. Under brakes I didnt see linked brakes mentioned. :eek: Has Honda dropped linked brakes now? :confused:
or are they actually on this model? :confused:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
According to the Rider Magazine article, it does have linked brakes, called C-ABS.

I also found it on the Honda website, but it's a little hard to find. It's under Handling --> Anti-Lock Brakes...

18GWBrakes.JPG

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I'd venture a guess that they're digitally linked, not hydraulic like the ST. Wires and a circuit board are lighter than tubing and valves, and further can be tuned (by factory in firmware). Maybe someone else already knows for sure.

Bike
VStrom 650
The system is apparently simplified? From two modulators to one and the assistance to each end varies between riding modes selected by the rider or the braking requirement.
Simple?
Upt'North.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
OP
OP
The pictures of the accessory front brake caliper covers show two sets of hoses going to each front caliper. So Honda has apparently continued the ST1300 practice of two pistons for normal actuation, and one for the linked brake function.
The Cycle World review says the calipers are six piston. Which would be really awesome becuase the four piston ones on my FZ1 were the best I ever had.

Does anyone see an SMC in the pictures?

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
I was at the Minneapolis IMS show yesterday and asked. They are hydraulic linked brakes. Which sucks, I was hoping they were electronic linked brakes like the the Harley Reflex system. Oh well, I'm sure HONDA knows whats best for us.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
skidgillen said:
Oh well, I'm sure HONDA knows whats best for us.
Or we could go to work for Honda and give them the benefit of our expertise showing them how little they know.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
The double wishbone front suspension is a cross between the Duolever and Hossack systems complete with steering tie rods coming off the bridge; a huge change from the old fork setup.
All the buttons normally used to control the bells and whistle are replaced with an easy to navigate menu controlled by one control knob. The Tour DCT is 102# heavier than the ST13.
The K16 may be a little nervous.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
The K16 may be a little nervous.
I'm not hearing anything that sounds like the new Goldwing has even caused ripples in the K1600 world. The new Goldwing is still heavier than a GTL, down about 50hp, and 1.5 gallons of fuel, and the top box will come off of a K1600 in less than 5 minutes. The menu knob is out on the handle bar on a K1600 where it is easier to access instead of on top of the fuel tank.

This may be why I decided to buy a K1600 after seeing what the new Goldwing had to offer.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The pictures of the accessory front brake caliper covers show two sets of hoses going to each front caliper. So Honda has apparently continued the ST1300 practice of two pistons for normal actuation, and one for the linked brake function.
The photo doesn't appear to indicate that the front left caliper actuates a SMC, but the two hoses indicate linked brakes, but since it has six piston calipers I suspect it's split 4-2. The linked brake system may well utilize digital control to handle the balance in front/rear braking, as BakerBoy suggests, but I don't know about having any less plumbing for the hydraulics.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
mlheck; said:
The new Goldwing is still heavier than a GTL, down about 50hp, and 1.5 gallons of fuel, and the top box will come off of a K1600 in less than 5 minutes.
While the weight and HP differences could be important to some I think the fuel and top box issue may be much less so. If the GW's mileage is penalized compared to previous GWs by the smaller tank that could be an issue. But that needs some RWT.

How many GW owners routinely remove the top box for any reason other than maintenance or repair? I'm gonna run to the store so let me pull the top box off... I don't think so.

As for the BMW adventure line I could see where someone would want to pull the mini steamer trunk off when not on an adventure. Do GTL tourers do the same? Maybe but I've never heard of that. I also don't know any BMW riders other than my GW/GS buddy. Removing a box in <5min is a plus. I just wonder how often it's used by GTL-type riders.

So one again it boils down to what bike is best for what individual and not the frequent appendage-measuring contest of 'my bike is better than your bike' stuff and nonsense.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Removing a box in <5min is a plus. I just wonder how often it's used by GTL-type riders.

So one again it boils down to what bike is best for what individual and not the frequent appendage-measuring contest of 'my bike is better than your bike' stuff and nonsense.
I do remove the top box when commuting back and forth to work and general one up riding. The top box only goes on when momma gets on.

Not sure where the appenage-measuring comes into play here. I simply stated that after measuring up the difference, the Goldwing is still lacking.
I've ridden Honds for over 35 years, and rode ST's for the last 20 years, so I'm not a BMW fanboy.

On the K1600 forum the new Goldwing is viewed more as a finally catching up bike, and not of any real comparison.

Buy what suits you, that's what I did.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
The photo doesn't appear to indicate that the front left caliper actuates a SMC, but the two hoses indicate linked brakes, but since it has six piston calipers I suspect it's split 4-2. The linked brake system may well utilize digital control to handle the balance in front/rear braking, as BakerBoy suggests, but I don't know about having any less plumbing for the hydraulics.
If we could get a look at the Service Manual for the new Goldwing I bet there would be a schematic drawing of the brake system just like there is in the ST13s SM. That would settle the SMC/electronic/hydraulic question once and for all.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I was convinced after months of observation that the 2nd brake line to the ST13 rear caliper was always loaded to one side never allowing the caliper to float and would drag.
This was a constant problem on mine and many other STs but no one came out in agreement with my theory. I'm sure (hope) the GW does not have this issue.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I do remove the top box when commuting back and forth to work and general one up riding.
Odd, I find the top box on STeed to be incredibly convenient, and am much more likely to remove the side bags for commuting than the box.

On the K1600 forum the new Goldwing is viewed more as a finally catching up bike, and not of any real comparison.
Setting aside the BMW fanboy tendency one would find on the K16 forums, I am inclined to agree. Sort of. From MY tech perspective, I'd say the BMW likely has a modest advantage. I have zero interest in all of the infotainment crap on either bike, so Honda's edge on that means nada to me. The adaptive headlights though, THAT'S a big deal, and Honda loses. On the flip side, Honda has the DCT available, but I'm not currently looking to go DCT on a bike....

For me, were I actually interested in either, I'd have to test ride them both. I test rode the K16 when it came out, and that thing can MOVE! I'd give the edge to the Honda in terms of likely reliability, so....

It IS a "real comparison" between them though. Honda did not clearly leapfrog the K16, which likely has some BMW fans grinning and 'Wingers gritting their teeth, given that the K16 was a leap over the last gen GL1800. The two bikes are pretty comparable now...

Top Bottom