The New Goldwing

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I have dealt with Traxxion and have been very happy with their services. I have their fork springs in my 1300 and had them rebuild my 1100's forks. I have no complaints. I know one of their specialties is Goldwings, so they're doing R & D on the new one (having purchased one for the shop). This is necessary for them especially since the front suspension is completely new and different. I don't think their intention is to trash Honda or the new Goldwing. One of the customer bikes they had actually was defective and needed a warranty claim (ball joints I think). I do think maybe they should have held back some of their videos until they had a chance the thoroughly go through it. It sounds like it will be similar to most other new bikes that will need some suspension work to get it dialed in for each individual rider.

Bike
2021 Honda Goldwing
Wow .. was almost speechless after my test drive the other day. The new Wing had exactly the type of acceleration I've missed since trading my ST four years ago for a Victory Vision. Don't get me wrong, the Victory's 106 is an incredible engine in it's own right, but a v-twin just doesn't have the pull that the ST and Wing now have. I opted to test the 6-speed manual, since that's the one I would most likely buy. Because the Vision is such a long bike, the downsizing of the new Wing was a welcome sight.

Bike
1991 ST1100
I have dealt with Traxxion and have been very happy with their services. I have their fork springs in my 1300 and had them rebuild my 1100's forks. I have no complaints. I know one of their specialties is Goldwings, so they're doing R & D on the new one (having purchased one for the shop). This is necessary for them especially since the front suspension is completely new and different. I don't think their intention is to trash Honda or the new Goldwing. One of the customer bikes they had actually was defective and needed a warranty claim (ball joints I think). I do think maybe they should have held back some of their videos until they had a chance the thoroughly go through it. It sounds like it will be similar to most other new bikes that will need some suspension work to get it dialed in for each individual rider.
When the folks aggressively detailing the 'problem' are the folks who also just happen to sell the 'solution,' you have to insert a giant grain of salt.

Doesn't mean they're wrong... Just means I'd be keeping the salinity level WAY up on this one until independent/other sources cite the same issues.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Finally got to sit on and play with the new Wing today. I was surprised how much easier it was to pick up off the sidestand and to put on the center stand than my ST 1300. I liked it, but gads too many friggin switches and buttons. Can you say distracted rider? lol. I will take it out for a test ride when the weather clears up a bit here. This one was the tour/standard trans. Like others I found the latching of the trunk iffy. Windshield moved further than I thought it would. Windshield shape could have been better and it seemed kind of thin. Also climbed up in the passenger area and the floor boards seemed small and the arm rests seemed in the wrong place and to slope down, but it was on the centerstand so who knows. I thought it looked great though.

The trunk closing is a non-issue. I have the same bike you are on and you don't slam it, just use the heel of your palm and press down on the Honda logo on the trunk and you will hear it click.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
2018 Goldwing Tour Manual Update:

I have had this bike since March 20, 2018. I currently have 4,343 miles on it. Quite simply it is the ST1300 on steroids. Everything is a bit bigger and I find it easier to handle as a result of the lower center of gravity. No, it is not as fast (I will get to that later), but if you put it in sport mode you will not be disappointed I can assure you. OK here is (later) I have attached the Cycleworld Dyno run of this bike. Normally it is referred to as a "Torque Curve", as you can see from the chart it is anything but a curve. This bike has over 100 ft. lb. of torque at 900 rpm's, hits 108 ft. lb. at 1250 rpm's and maintains that torque kind of torque to just shy of 5000 rpm's. I for one have never seen anything like this. All on 86 octane requirement regular fuel. If you would like to see more watch this video and start at 16:22 to see what I am talking about.

Handling is impressive on this bike. The front end is remarkable in absorbing bumps and handling. Doing a full turn is no problem and comfortable. The seat is the best stock seat I have ever ridden on. My ST1300 had a custom cut Rick Mayer seat that I thought could not get any better, this seat for me beats it. About a week after I bought it, I rode to FL for a few weeks. It was effortless for me to run tanks out to anywhere from 200 to 230 miles. As for running tanks out I rode down in rather cold weather and put the cruise control on 65 mph. I was getting about 44 mpg, this is still in breakin and temps between 32 and 40F. The cold weather always reduces gas mileage. Now that we have reached spring/summer weather here in MI, I am getting about 47-48 mpg all around riding. Just city riding is getting 44+mpg (I am usually in 6th gear around 40 mph that makes a difference). I took a 180 mile + ride a cpl weeks ago in 75F weather on cruise cntl @ 65 mph and got 52 mpg in little wind with windshield low (I am pointing out all these factors being they all impact mileage). So at this point this bike has completely exceeded my gas mileage expectations. The speedo accuracy is the best I have ever seen on a motorcycle. It is as accurate as my Garmin GPS, if anything it is understated by 1 mph and carries this to 75 mph. The brakes on this bike are impressive as well. It stops effortlessly. The ABS makes it seem softer in stopping but seems to do the job well. The front end does not dive when you break and that is huge, it just stimulates more confidence when you have to grab onto them.

Ergos on the bike are excellent for me. Heck I am tickled to death about just having cruise cntl, heated seat and grips. The buttons and switches are easy to get use to and intuitive. I have to mention the horn on this bike, it is louder than any I can think of (on a test ride try it, texters beware).

I added my Garmin GPS to this bike as many others have. Reason being is the built in GPS has Limitations. I am like many others who own this bike had great expectations of the bikes GPS and it is OK at best. The service manager where I purchased my bike shared with me that he attended a seminar by Honda at the museum across from the previous Marysville, OH assembly plant and that Honda is aware of the GPS shortcomings and is doing a release in the end of June. Hopefully that will enhance the GPS's ability. I don't believe that will remedy being able to access while riding gas stations, hotels or food. Those are essentials for me and I doubt because of the liability involved that will happen. It would be nice to be wrong on this but time will tell. Hence me adding the Garmin to the bike.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Dennis

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
2018 Goldwing Tour Manual Update:

I have had this bike since March 20, 2018. I currently have 4,343 miles on it. Quite simply it is the ST1300 on steroids. Everything is a bit bigger and I find it easier to handle as a result of the lower center of gravity. No, it is not as fast (I will get to that later), but if you put it in sport mode you will not be disappointed I can assure you. OK here is (later) I have attached the Cycleworld Dyno run of this bike. Normally it is referred to as a "Torque Curve", as you can see from the chart it is anything but a curve. This bike has over 100 ft. lb. of torque at 900 rpm's, hits 108 ft. lb. at 1250 rpm's and maintains that torque kind of torque to just shy of 5000 rpm's. I for one have never seen anything like this. All on 86 octane requirement regular fuel. If you would like to see more watch this video and start at 16:22 to see what I am talking about.

Handling is impressive on this bike. The front end is remarkable in absorbing bumps and handling. Doing a full turn is no problem and comfortable. The seat is the best stock seat I have ever ridden on. My ST1300 had a custom cut Rick Mayer seat that I thought could not get any better, this seat for me beats it. About a week after I bought it, I rode to FL for a few weeks. It was effortless for me to run tanks out to anywhere from 200 to 230 miles. As for running tanks out I rode down in rather cold weather and put the cruise control on 65 mph. I was getting about 44 mpg, this is still in breakin and temps between 32 and 40F. The cold weather always reduces gas mileage. Now that we have reached spring/summer weather here in MI, I am getting about 47-48 mpg all around riding. Just city riding is getting 44+mpg (I am usually in 6th gear around 40 mph that makes a difference). I took a 180 mile + ride a cpl weeks ago in 75F weather on cruise cntl @ 65 mph and got 52 mpg in little wind with windshield low (I am pointing out all these factors being they all impact mileage). So at this point this bike has completely exceeded my gas mileage expectations. The speedo accuracy is the best I have ever seen on a motorcycle. It is as accurate as my Garmin GPS, if anything it is understated by 1 mph and carries this to 75 mph. The brakes on this bike are impressive as well. It stops effortlessly. The ABS makes it seem softer in stopping but seems to do the job well. The front end does not dive when you break and that is huge, it just stimulates more confidence when you have to grab onto them.

Ergos on the bike are excellent for me. Heck I am tickled to death about just having cruise cntl, heated seat and grips. The buttons and switches are easy to get use to and intuitive. I have to mention the horn on this bike, it is louder than any I can think of (on a test ride try it, texters beware).

I added my Garmin GPS to this bike as many others have. Reason being is the built in GPS has Limitations. I am like many others who own this bike had great expectations of the bikes GPS and it is OK at best. The service manager where I purchased my bike shared with me that he attended a seminar by Honda at the museum across from the previous Marysville, OH assembly plant and that Honda is aware of the GPS shortcomings and is doing a release in the end of June. Hopefully that will enhance the GPS's ability. I don't believe that will remedy being able to access while riding gas stations, hotels or food. Those are essentials for me and I doubt because of the liability involved that will happen. It would be nice to be wrong on this but time will tell. Hence me adding the Garmin to the bike.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Dennis
That Torque curve is extraordinary, it's more like a 12 litre Cummins diesel straight 6, albeit that would explode by 2500 rpm.
Thanks for posting, and now I'll scratch my head as to how Honda achieved it. Damn clever those Japanese.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I have a few DCT question for those that have experienced it.

When you stop, do you have to hold the brake on like a car with an automatic transmission?

If not, then I guess that's your "neutral". So when you start again, how smooth is the engagement? Does it vary depending on how much throttle you use?

And finally, if you can't blip the throttle while stopped, how do you challenge others to race? <just kidding>

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I have a few DCT question for those that have experienced it.

When you stop, do you have to hold the brake on like a car with an automatic transmission?

If not, then I guess that's your "neutral". So when you start again, how smooth is the engagement? Does it vary depending on how much throttle you use?

And finally, if you can't blip the throttle while stopped, how do you challenge others to race? <just kidding>
The best I remember you do not have to hold the brake, however it engages immediately when you give it the gas.

The guy behind me at the demo ride blipped the throttle and ran into the back of the bike I was on before the ride ever started. Not too hard and no one went down.

Bike
2000 ST1100
If I have to get rid of my 2000 Honda ST1100 This bike would be the replacement. A non tour 2018 Goldwing. Color root beer. Options passenger back rest,fog lights and center stand. Now don't get me wrong....I don't like the smaller than my St1100 side bags or the complexity of simply storing your helmet but when you throw in that new improved engine and transmission and Honda reliability its close enough.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If I have to get rid of my 2000 Honda ST1100 This bike would be the replacement. A non tour 2018 Goldwing. Color root beer. Options passenger back rest,fog lights and center stand. Now don't get me wrong....I don't like the smaller than my St1100 side bags or the complexity of simply storing your helmet but when you throw in that new improved engine and transmission and Honda reliability its close enough.
The nice part about a non-tour is you can get the luggage carrier and put your own top box in that will hold 2 helmets and even get some integrated brake lights on some.. some of the Givi's even match the lines of the wing.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yep Mellow, I just could not stand to see that Goldwing trunk on my new Honda ST1800! Besides I'm use to roughing it. I rode/toured on a 83 550 cc Kawasaki spectre. No windshield, no trunk, no storage. Just a back rest to which I bungee cord a duffle bag to it. put 52K miles before I traded in for my 2000 St1100. When I got the 1100 I thought man this is nice.....no more taking that duffle bag and helmet with me when I leave the bike. Riding in the rain and not being soaked clean to your underwear.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yep Mellow, I just could not stand to see that Goldwing trunk on my new Honda ST1800! Besides I'm use to roughing it. I rode/toured on a 83 550 cc Kawasaki spectre. No windshield, no trunk, no storage. Just a back rest to which I bungee cord a duffle bag to it. put 52K miles before I traded in for my 2000 St1100. When I got the 1100 I thought man this is nice.....no more taking that duffle bag and helmet with me when I leave the bike. Riding in the rain and not being soaked clean to your underwear.
I don't ever store the helmet in the trunk, I just like the convenience of throwing misc loose items in there.

Bike
2000 ST1100
You sound a lot like me. When touring now I use side bags for clothes, shoes and the important stuff... like that bottle of 12 year old single malt scotch that I enjoy at my motel. The seat comes off easy enough to use the helmet hooks.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You sound a lot like me. When touring now I use side bags for clothes, shoes and the important stuff... like that bottle of 12 year old single malt scotch that I enjoy at my motel. The seat comes off easy enough to use the helmet hooks.
Not that much alike... I don't motel, camp only, and I only drink cheap whiskey in a can of coke... LOL

Bike
1991 ST1100
I don't ever store the helmet in the trunk, I just like the convenience of throwing misc loose items in there.
You know, I never even thought of it, but I never put the helmet in the trunk either... I normally just plunk it down on the seat.

One nice thing about putting your own trunk on the ST1800 (I like that!) is that if you get something like a Monolock, you can easily take it off. I really only put the trunk on my bike when touring, or for the occasional run to the grocery store or similar "I need some extra storage" moments.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Mellow, camped one time in was a bikers round up at the fairgrounds in grapevine Kansas near Kansas city. We were in the event. The noise, heat and dust was shall I say unbearable. Had to travel to a truck stop 20 miles to shower. That soured me from camping. Now our group rents out the motels for a week. Clean showers everyday. Free Breakfast. Air Conditioning. Then leave the motel to go to the event. I guess I have gotten a little soft over the years.

Bike
1991 ST1100
Mellow, camped one time in was a bikers round up at the fairgrounds in grapevine Kansas near Kansas city. We were in the event. The noise, heat and dust was shall I say unbearable. Had to travel to a truck stop 20 miles to shower. That soured me from camping. Now our group rents out the motels for a week. Clean showers everyday. Free Breakfast. Air Conditioning. Then leave the motel to go to the event. I guess I have gotten a little soft over the years.
To each their own. Sometimes I -wish- I could get more into camping. The concept of it is appealing, but I find the reality of it... uncomfortable.

Myself, I'm on the "motel" side of things. My wife jokes that my idea of "roughing it" is when the Four Seasons is sold out and I have to stay at a mere Hilton (that's not really accurate: I'm not at all la-di-dah... But I do like my creature comforts).

Top Bottom