The New Goldwing

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Having ridden Honda's DCT and BMW's (and other manufacturers') clutchless shift assist; I greatly prefer shift assist.
Have you ridden the 4th gen DCT or still just the ride on the VFR1200F from years ago?

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Odd, I find the top box on STeed to be incredibly convenient, and am much more likely to remove the side bags for commuting than the box.
There is a significant difference in the frontal area and profile of a ST box vs the GTL box. I find there is less wagging of the tail when in Interstate turbulence when the box is off, and I commute to work via the Interstate. My lunchbox fits in the side bag so all is good.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
less wagging of the tail when in Interstate turbulence when the box is off
I can relate to that. The top box was removable on the Victory Vision which I owned until recently; I noticed a definite improvement in higher speed handling with it off. Btw Mike, congrats on the new bike! Although you won't read this on the BMW forum, "in spite of its excellence, it's not a Honda!" I did have a feeling of betrayal when I rode the Victory, now my Hondas make me feel "fully satisfied",lol !

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I can relate to that. The top box was removable on the Victory Vision which I owned until recently; I noticed a definite improvement in higher speed handling with it off. Btw Mike, congrats on the new bike! Although you won't read this on the BMW forum, "in spite of its excellence, it's not a Honda!" I did have a feeling of betrayal when I rode the Victory, now my Hondas make me feel "fully satisfied",lol !
I do feel like I'm cheating on my girl, but she is so good at what she does..........LOL. We'll see if she leaves me stranded on the side of the road. My first girls never did.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I do remove the top box when commuting back and forth to work and general one up riding. The top box only goes on when momma gets on.

Not sure where the appenage-measuring comes into play here. I simply stated that after measuring up the difference, the Goldwing is still lacking.
I've ridden Honds for over 35 years, and rode ST's for the last 20 years, so I'm not a BMW fanboy.

On the K1600 forum the new Goldwing is viewed more as a finally catching up bike, and not of any real comparison.

Buy what suits you, that's what I did.

Sent using Tapatalk
Well, if top box removability is your yardstick, you ought to be riding a Triumph Trophy! :rolleyes: It takes about 20 seconds to get the box off the bike.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Well, if top box removability is your yardstick, you ought to be riding a Triumph Trophy! :rolleyes: It takes about 20 seconds to get the box off the bike.
Or stick to ST1300... takes about 5 seconds, and that includes putting the key ring back in your pocket.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
The Cycle World review says the calipers are six piston. Which would be really awesome becuase the four piston ones on my FZ1 were the best I ever had.

Does anyone see an SMC in the pictures?
The Dual Combined Brake System (D-CBS) optimally distributes braking force to the front and rear wheels. Whereas the ABS was operated by 2 motors on the previous model, both have been replaced by one smaller and lighter circulation type ABS modulator which has been integrated with the brake ECU, resulting in a 2.86 lb weight saving for the braking system. It also operates in linkage with the current Riding Mode of choice, automatically adjusting the braking characteristics to the riding situation, enhancing security. Dual 320mm front discs are gripped by 6 piston calipers, the rear 316mm disc by a 3-piston caliper.

Linky

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I can understand why some want to know how something works and debate the engineering aspects of the new Wing. To me there is a much simpler way of deciding. Simply ride one and size it up on performance. Don't like the looks, don't like the amount of torque, don't like the brakes... or like, like, like all the above. How about just riding one and see how well it works or doesn't. Maybe the engineering works well enough that the nitpickers can't tell the difference... or better yet, you have to admit, You LIKE it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I can understand why some want to know how something works and debate the engineering aspects of the new Wing. To me there is a much simpler way of deciding. Simply ride one and size it up on performance. Don't like the looks, don't like the amount of torque, don't like the brakes... or like, like, like all the above. How about just riding one and see how well it works or doesn't. Maybe the engineering works well enough that the nitpickers can't tell the difference... or better yet, you have to admit, You LIKE it.
Yup. heck I liked the old wing... this one is sizing up to be very cool IMO.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I (think) I want one. I'm undecided if I want one from the 1st year's production. But, on the other hand, I'm 67, and don't how many years I have left to ride. Do I waste one of those years waiting to see if anything gets updated after the first year. When they get in showrooms, I'll go look and will probably pull the trigger on one and buy the extended warranty. The 7 years of coverage will get me to age 74, without worrying about repairs. By then, I'll probably be done, anyway.

Sound like a plan, Tom P.?

Ride Safe
John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I (think) I want one. I'm undecided if I want one from the 1st year's production. But, on the other hand, I'm 67, and don't how many years I have left to ride. Do I waste one of those years waiting to see if anything gets updated after the first year. When they get in showrooms, I'll go look and will probably pull the trigger on one and buy the extended warranty. The 7 years of coverage will get me to age 74, without worrying about repairs. By then, I'll probably be done, anyway.

Sound like a plan, Tom P.?

Ride Safe
John
I had a 2001 GL1800 when they first came out... the only issue it had was the dash speedo overlay would expand when the sun hit it and cause the speedometer needle to stick.. covered under warranty.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #

John
I like this thinking John. Only problem would be paying for it, and, my 1100 is just right!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Paying for it is ALWAYS a problem....

NASHCAT: Howdy! I work with the auto industry and am always cautious with introductory (first year) models but Honda has a strong track record of successful new model introductions and excellent responsiveness to warranty issues, so I don’t think I’d hesitate on this one.

Pete

Bike
GL1800-2012
I'm not hearing anything that sounds like the new Goldwing has even caused ripples in the K1600 world. The new Goldwing is still heavier than a GTL, down about 50hp, and 1.5 gallons of fuel, and the top box will come off of a K1600 in less than 5 minutes. The menu knob is out on the handle bar on a K1600 where it is easier to access instead of on top of the fuel tank.

This may be why I decided to buy a K1600 after seeing what the new Goldwing had to offer.

Sent using Tapatalk
Actually, if I read the GW1833 owners manual correctly, you can also manipulate the menu bar from the handle bars on the new GW1833 or from the center control knob.

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
As far as first year models, I'll wager this bike has been in R&D and quality control for years. I imagine they have hundreds of thousands of test track miles on the model. It'll be solid out of the gate. That being said, if I do pull the trigger and get one in the next few months, I will get an extended warranty. If I never need to use it, I'm OK with that.

On another note, has anyone researched how the aftermarket is tooling up for this thing? Specifically, is there source for trailer hitch and such yet?

(ps: "if I pull the trigger." Right!! Even my banker is telling me I need to get one. Of course that's so he can check it out and take it for a spin. He's got the papers all ready for my autograph. What the heck. I need that 5th bike, right? There's still room in the stable.)

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
As far as first year models, I'll wager this bike has been in R&D and quality control for years. I imagine they have hundreds of thousands of test track miles on the model. It'll be solid out of the gate. That being said, if I do pull the trigger and get one in the next few months, I will get an extended warranty. If I never need to use it, I'm OK with that.

On another note, has anyone researched how the aftermarket is tooling up for this thing? Specifically, is there source for trailer hitch and such yet?

(ps: "if I pull the trigger." Right!! Even my banker is telling me I need to get one. Of course that's so he can check it out and take it for a spin. He's got the papers all ready for my autograph. What the heck. I need that 5th bike, right? There's still room in the stable.)
You need it to fill in more of your map! ;)

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
I went for it!!! Put down a deposit on a Pearl White DCT. Estimated delivery is late February. Not good timing in MN. :) I should see if they'll deliver to AZ or FL, then I'll ride home in April. :)

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Part of my decision is that I've been retired 5 years and have managed without touching any of my 401K. Everything's paid for except the house. My kids are doing ok, so I don't worry about having to leave my retirement money to them. They'll get enough from my house, when I'm gone. Since I can't take it with me, I might as well ride it. I'm sure if Janis was still here, she's be picking out the color and handing me the checkbook.

John

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
carpdm said:
I went for it!!! Put down a deposit on a Pearl White DCT.
I really shouldn't be reading this or similar threads. Luckily I have no room for a 'Wing. Otherwise a Pearl White DCT Tour would be just the ticket. Congratulations!

Top Bottom